Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/11/2003 9:27:32 AM EDT
It was definitely an interesting sensation, I've never had two bullets shoot from one trigger pull before...

I was shooting frangible ammo, so I don't know if the ammo was suspect.

I had also put in a Jewell trigger a few weeks ago, but fired a few hundred rounds of XM193 in the interim with no issue at all.

So is my trigger adjustment off? Or did the frangible just not have enough juice to cycle the bolt carrier properly, causing a slightly shorter stroke?

Or, lastly, is it possible I just bumped the trigger rather than following through correctly?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:46:58 AM EDT
I'd say trigger. How light do you have it set? If you set it too light, you might have bumped the trigger without knowing it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:54:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By eswanson: I'd say trigger. How light do you have it set? If you set it too light, you might have bumped the trigger without knowing it.
View Quote
It is definitely on the light side. Maybe I'll jack it up a half turn or so tonight.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:42:07 PM EDT
When I first bought my Bushmaster a few years ago, I would often get doubles, sometimes triples off with one trigger squeeze. I took it to a gunsmith who went over it Very carefully. Apparently the second hand Bushy had been put together as a kit. And the original owner didn’t do too good a job. The trigger and a few other parts were replaced. Even the upper was worked on. Going on my experience, the jewel trigger had much to do with your problems of doubles. The trigger not being emplaced properly is what I’m thinking of.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:52:15 PM EDT
Sounds as if the jar from the bolt slamming shut is jarring the hammer off the disconnector. Either bad adjustment, a bad hammer, or some amateur "gunsmithing" somewhere. In any event, not enough disconnector engagement. Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:00:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2003 6:06:09 PM EDT by ru4freedom]
If you determine the problem to be in the trigger group, you might want to try the following!! To Bench Test: 1. With the upper off, or opened, Put the hammer in the COCKED position with the safety OFF. 2. While closely watching the trigger for movement, pull the hammer farther back to simulate full battery. 3. When performing step 2 , if the trigger jumps forward at all, even slightly, there is potential for doubling. The Disconnector will need adjustment!! 4. If adjustmnet is required..., the Disconnector needs to rotate slightly forward by either a set screw (if applicable) or by filing a small amount of material off of the bottom forward surface of the Disconnector where it contacts the trigger assembly. 5. Repeat steps 1-3 to check!!! 6. Repeat steps 4&5 if needed! Hope this helps... RU4FREEDOM - out
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:49:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ru4freedom: If you determine the problem to be in the trigger group, you might want to try the following!! To Bench Test: (snip) Hope this helps... RU4FREEDOM - out
View Quote
Tried that, no movement in the trigger. The more I think about it, the more I think I had a loose mount and just bumped the trigger. (So not a true "double." I'm going to jack up the pull on the 2nd stage just a bit, but I am about 99% sure it was operator error.) Thanks for the help, guys!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:08:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith: When I first bought my Bushmaster a few years ago, I would often get doubles, sometimes triples off with one trigger squeeze. I took it to a gunsmith who went over it Very carefully. Apparently the second hand Bushy had been put together as a kit. And the original owner didn’t do too good a job.
View Quote
Please explain how this is possible? There is no skill of any sort or any way to "impropperly" install a factory trigger. You just put the parts in. There is no adjustment nor a way to screw it up that I can even begin to fathom. Now had it been an Accuracy Speaks or similar trigger that requires filing on the engagement surfaces I could see an installer screw up, but for a kit? Simply not possible. Thats like saying someone pulled the trigger wrong. Its either installed or its not, there is no other way it can be.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:50:13 AM EDT
I had a couple of doubles recently with a Jewell trigger. Attribute it to two things: light trigger and bad follow through. Keep practicing!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:55:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 1:10:57 PM EDT by ru4freedom]
Hard to say on a previously owned firearm...., Lord knows I've monkeyed around with a coulple of triggers & eventually sent the gun down the road!!! I've also fixed a few factory AR trigger groups that have been "Over Tuned" and 98% of the time the fix lies in the disconnector engagement!!! RU4FREEDOM...out
Top Top