Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2005 7:50:02 PM EDT
I hear mixed things about the H buffer, but basically from what I gather, the H buffer isn't necessary in a 16" barrel M4gery with collapsible stock, but doesn't hinder reliability or performance either. Do you think it's a good idea or cheap insurance to go ahead and run the 3.8 oz. "H-buffer"? Even with .223 and no rapid fire at the range?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The reason that the "H" buffer was added with the M4 carbine was to slow the rate of fire slightly and make the weapon a little more reliable on full auto.  I have done ROF tests with different length barrels and different buffers, and what I have found is that generally the M4 "H" buffer slows the ROF on full auto by only about 25 - 30 RPM.  On semi-auto, you do not need the "H" buffer even with the shorter barrels like 11.5 or 14.5.  With a 16 inch barrel, you definitely do not need the "H" buffer.  On semi-auto, you would not notice any difference over the standard buffer.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You're the man, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank God someone who finally agrees you don't need a 9mm buffer or H buffer in a collapsing stock carbine.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
In semiauto, a heavier buffer slows down the cycle rate also and may give you the feel of lighter recoil, less muzzle flip and faster follow up shots.  Some see the need for this, most don't.  I'm experimenting with the concept.  I see some result, but not sure if it's beneficial to me at this point.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In semiauto, a heavier buffer slows down the cycle rate also and may give you the feel of lighter recoil, less muzzle flip and faster follow up shots.  Some see the need for this, most don't.  I'm experimenting with the concept.  I see some result, but not sure if it's beneficial to me at this point.

Ahh  results are so close as to be indeterminate.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh  results are so close as to be indeterminate.

Yep, some rave on the result, I'm not sure it is enough to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Would it be in good practice to just replace the spring with a "heavier" one or...???
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top