Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2003 10:55:39 PM EDT
Just an old geezer wondering if anyone else still uses the stuff. Grew up using it and I buy it by the quart. Don't see it mentioned much here though. So far it doesn't seem to have offended my AK'S or AR'S......Is there some reason it might? Is it hard on chrome lined bores? Appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe I am an oddball for my age group (27yrs old) but I also use Hoppe's #9 on my AK and AR and think it works really well on the chrome lined barrels of both weapons.  I also use it on my ruger MK II pistol, and my Sig pistols.  Sometimes, however, I have to use something a little stronger for hard copper fouling in my Sigs (ammonia based stuff) as the Sig barrels are not chrome lined and after a lot of shooting, especially with cheap ammo, I sometimes have really stubborn copper fouling that would take too long to work out with Hoppe's #9 alone.  The Hoppe's cant be beat on chrome lined bores though.  I push a couple of wet patches through and let it sit while I clean the other parts of the rifle, then go back to the bore with a brush and a couple wet patches and the gunk in the bore just pushes out blue as can be on the patch.  Then, just because I am anal, I dry the bore and push through a couple of patches really soaked in Breakfree CLP, let sit a few minutes, then dry completely out.  Never had a problem.  So, in my young and limited experience, Hoppe's is really good stuff on chrome lined bores and see no way that it might hurt anything, it never has with mine, even after extended (overnight) soakings.  Hoppe's is the only solvent I will soak overnight with.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:31:36 AM EDT
[#2]
SNARK1;

Started out using Hoppes #9.  40 Yrs later it is still my primary solvent.  I supplement it with some Shooter's Choice if I get a little jacket fouling in the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:43:35 AM EDT
[#3]
It's my main cleaning agent.  After every session my rifle gets a little Hoppe's, let it sit for a little and brush off fouling.  I rinse with brake cleaner then follow up with CLP.

They tell me that Hoppe's #9 does nothing for copper in the barrel, but it sure does produce some impressive blue/green patches when I let it sit in the barrel for a while.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:03:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I always have and always will.
I just cant seem to use a lubricant to clean with. So I use hoppes #9 to clean it and then clp to lube it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:31:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Where do you get it by the quart?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sportsmans guide sells it by the quart. I think it's like $14.00 a quart. Realy cheap compared to the small bottles.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I use it as my solvent all the time and to tell you the truth it works better than most solvents I've tried.  I use the lube on my bolt actions but prefer LSA for my auto's.

CLP is the best field lube/solvent I've found but at home it's the Hoppes solvent in my barrel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I still use it, it's really good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#9]
And it smells GREAT!!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought a quart today at my local gun shop. It smells like bannanas and wont harm anything.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:26:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Natchez also sells it by the quart.  I order it at the same time as I do some of their .45 ammo.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:32:44 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, I checked Brownnel's. Hey guys you need to invest in a C&R, with that discount its 12 something bucks per quart
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:50:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I use it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:46:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I also buy it by the quart at my local Sportsmans Guide (Bass Pro).  On my ARs, I clean the chamber and inside of the receiver really good with CLP first.  After I make sure it's dry, I use the Hoppe's on the bore.

Will it hurt to mix a little CLP with Hoppe's?  I've always heard not to mix various cleaning agents.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#16]
You're right Bumpkin....it does smell great!!! Just like an old gun shop!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I also buy it by the quart at my local Sportsmans Guide (Bass Pro).  On my ARs, I clean the chamber and inside of the receiver really good with CLP first.  After I make sure it's dry, I use the Hoppe's on the bore.

Will it hurt to mix a little CLP with Hoppe's?  I've always heard not to mix various cleaning agents.
View Quote

You've got me on that one. I know that ammonia based stuff should never be mixed with stuff containing chlorine. I've never used CLP. I plan on buying a gallon from J&G Sales but haven't yet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I use hoppes #9. Love the way my hands smell afterwards. I dont use CLP in the bore.

Just curious where do you people get LSA? I can never seem to find it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
... Just curious where do you people get LSA? I can never seem to find it.
View Quote

My year old Cheaper Than Dirt catalog has it - $12.97 for a quart, stock no. CLN-100.  They also have a note that their supply is limited.

I’m pretty sure I’ve also seen it in the Numrich Gun Parts Catalog - aka: Quality Gun Parts.

I picked up a 4-ounce bottle of it at a gun show a couple of weeks ago for $2.  (Probably should’ve gotten more than one bottle!!)
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I've always used it and was surprised to find an original gun cleaning pack when cleaning out my grand father's house. It is a cardboard box in mint condition containing a bottle of Hoppe's No. 9, oil, gun grease and patches. It says long recommended by the U.S. War Dept. and famous for dependability for over a quarter century. Penciled price says $1.15. I'm guesing it's 1930's vintage.A product doesn't last this long without changing if it's not worth it. Great stuff!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:03:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I have always used it, and always will.
Can't beat a classic like Hoppes #9.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#22]
#9 IS SAFE with any ratio mix of:

BreakFree CLP
Sheath
Tetra Gun Grease, Oil or Spray

I will be home testing soon with the above tested products being mixed with:
Kroil
Butch's Bore Shine  (has Sci-Fi ammonia and I believe it may not work out in any combo or ratio)
FP-10
on steel, SS, and aluminum.

BTW, green ZEP is safe to use on aluminum.  Has no effect on raw 75/78 series aluminum but sure gets oil, grease, mesamoll, marker, tape glue....off of it at full strength or diluted.  SimpleGreen "chewed" on our raw and polished aluminum.  

Dave S
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Found out the hard way
[b]DO NOT TO USE HOPPE"S #9 ON NICKELED FIREARMS.[/b]
It will peal the nickel off the gun. Confirmed this with an old gun smith that has worked on handguns for 50+ years.

I use it for everything else.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I've used Hoppes #9 for over 30 years.  I've tried many other solvents over the years and none of them do a better job than Hoppes.  CLP, FP10, Miltec and the like are all fair lubes but they don't clean worth a darn.  Also, if copper does become a problem, I use Hoppes #9 Benchrest Copper cleaner - works great and won't damage your barrel.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I've always used it. I follow it with G96. I guess I've always used it because my dad used it and that's what I came up on. I'm 46 and don't plan on giving it up.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Found out the hard way
[b]DO NOT TO USE HOPPE"S #9 ON NICKELED FIREARMS.[/b]
It will peal the nickel off the gun. Confirmed this with an old gun smith that has worked on handguns for 50+ years.

I use it for everything else.
View Quote

Says right on my bottle don't soak nickel fire arms with Hoppes.  Wipe nickel parts dry.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They tell me that Hoppe's #9 does nothing for copper in the barrel, but it sure does produce some impressive blue/green patches when I let it sit in the barrel for a while.

Hoppy
View Quote

I don't know who started that ugly rumor but it does cut copper fouling.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#28]
walmart sells it for $2.97 a 4 ounce jar. thats cheaper than sportsmans quide and no shipping.

i only use it on my .22s and my hand guns to clean out lead. for all others its muscle products awesome FP-10.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Sportsmans guide sells it by the quart. I think it's like $14.00 a quart. Realy cheap compared to the small bottles.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#29]
A word to the wise, & I speak from experience... Bushmaster sprays their receivers  with a Nickel Acetate seal coat, so avoid exposing them to Hoppes #9 unless you want to reveal the grey anodized finish that lies beneath.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
walmart sells it for $2.97 a 4 ounce jar. thats cheaper than sportsmans quide and no shipping.

i only use it on my .22s and my hand guns to clean out lead. for all others its muscle products awesome FP-10.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote

There's 32 oz. in a quart. I bet you were thinking of a pint. At walmart's 4 oz price you would be paying 24 bucks a quart. Almost 11 bucks more, and I usually order other stuff too so shipping would be copacetic.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only guy using Hoppes, I thought maybe I was a dinosaur!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A word to the wise, & I speak from experience... Bushmaster sprays their receivers  with a Nickel Acetate seal coat, so avoid exposing them to Hoppes #9 unless you want to reveal the grey anodized finish that lies beneath.  
View Quote

Thanks for the tip!!! I'm buying a Bushmaster soon. I'll use something else.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top