Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2009 6:21:06 PM EDT
Bought a HK mag used from a guy for 30 bucks.
I have heard from some real trigger pullers that it is all they would trust in the sandbox.
Could not bring myself to pay 60 bucks plus for one so thought this would be a good way to test one out.

Problem is it feeds every round great till the very last one.
The last round always seems to feed in at a very high angle and jambs.
The feed lips look fine from what I can tell and the follower seems to move freely.

Any thoughts.  I guess this may be why he sold it.

I usually use P-mags and they feed fine. This mag is very heavy compared to thoes.
Guess I've gotten spoiled with P-mags.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
HK mags are possibly the most overrated mags ever.  A few of my SF buddies had issues with them, the ones I've shot with were nothing special. Your typical metal drop it wrong and break it mag.  If you have pmags and have no issues why try?  If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I would trust a new HK mag after testing it, I would not trust a used HK mag.

I would actually not trust any used mag. I don't understand why people buy used mags, unless they come with a used weapon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a thread a while ago where someone replaced the spring in their HK "High Reliability Mag" with one of the Extreme Duty Red Springs from Specialized Armament Warehouse to fix their FTF issues.

Here is the thread
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks OPEY that's some info I can use.

If not it will just be a range mag. I didn't need the mag I just was curious on what they were about.

I don't think there will be more in my future even if this get's fixed.

If I sell a rifle it can go with it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:38:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks OPEY that's some info I can use.

If not it will just be a range mag. I didn't need the mag I just was curious on what they were about.

I don't think there will be more in my future even if this get's fixed.

If I sell a rifle it can go with it.

My mag with the new spring still works fine

<part in red>

Please don't pass off a bad mag to someone else without telling them, they may need to depend on it one day.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
HK mags are possibly the most overrated mags ever.  A few of my SF buddies had issues with them, the ones I've shot with were nothing special. Your typical metal drop it wrong and break it mag.  If you have pmags and have no issues why try?  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

When I was in Afghanistan over the Winter the only magazine I heard the SF guys rave about was HK.  One Team Leader told me they were "only for missions but not for training".  They don't seem too hung up on their gear like most people on this forum are.  They are all about training and more training.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was in Afghanistan over the Winter the only magazine I heard the SF guys rave about was HK.  One Team Leader told me they were "only for missions but not for training".  They don't seem too hung up on their gear like most people on this forum are.  They are all about training and more training.

HK magazines were loved when they were pretty mag the only thing that worked...

Now, there are many other magazines that are better and don't cost a ridiculous amount.

... Unfortunately, people become loyal to their gear, instead of thinking rationally. People have become so accustomed to thinking "HK is the good magazine" that we'll be seeing them ripping people off with a sub-standard product for many years to come.

He likely said "only for mission, but not for training" because they wear out. The spring notoriously wear out quickly, and are not easily replaced without a special order of special springs.

PS: Just because someone is in the military, doesn't mean they're correct. The military is plagued with false rumors.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

PS: Just because someone is in the military, doesn't mean they're correct. The military is plagued with false rumors.

I'm quite aware of this.  The internet is likewise plagued with falsehoods, lies, clueless people etc.  I woulfd trust the opinion of a real commando over an internet commando any day of the week

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm quite aware of this.  The internet is likewise plagued with falsehoods, lies, clueless people etc.  I woulfd trust the opinion of a real commando over an internet commando any day of the week

I guess some people have good luck with military personnel.

About 90% of those I have encountered are totally clueless when it comes to firearms....

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably more like 99% are clueless.  The high speed guys are usually quite a bit more knowledgable because they shoot much more, however they spent most of their time training and don't worry about nonsese like jamming pencils into magazines or what the springs in their magazines are made out of......
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top