Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2005 6:10:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2005 6:11:39 PM EDT by EStock]
I recently received some of HK’s new magazines and offer the following review:

The first thing you notice is that this magazine is heavy. It’s over ½ a pound. HK lists it at 0.54 lbs. That’s twice as heavy as an aluminum mag and the weight difference is very noticeable.

HK has examined every aspect of the magazine and tried to improve upon it.

The follower is steel and reshaped for better feeding. It is also coated – probably to protect it from corrosion and to provide an anti-friction surface, both against the rounds and the inside of the magazine body. Finish color is black.

The spring is made from an advanced spring material – but the literature doesn’t specify exactly what it is or what the advantages and benefits are.

The floor plate and magazine bottom are redesigned. Instead of 4 bent tabs holding the floor plate in place, there is a slot cut into the front of the magazine for the floor plate to engage. I never had a problem with the old design but potentially this eliminates the problem of breaking off the small tabs and makes it easier to assemble/disassemble. The HK mag has a small rubber plug to prevent inadvertent loosening.

The magazine body is steel – with the Maritime version having an anti-corrosion and anti-friction surface finish. HK also offers a second version referred to as a Standard coating. Given the potential for rust, I recommend the Maritime coating. The coating color is black. This may be the Hostile Environment (HE) coating used on their handguns. The body and follower have been heat treated to relieve stress. The dimensions are held to tight tolerances to ensure proper functioning.

The area where the magazine catch is has been filled in. This is an open area on standard mags. By eliminating the opening they may prevent foreign material from getting into the inside of the mag. On the HK mag, this is where the date code is. Mine is stamped AE. This corresponds to 2004. Decoding info is provided at www.hkpro.com/symbols.htm.

The forward and rearward facing sides lack the typical spot welds. Instead there is a fine tig welded seam.

The feed lip area has a reshaped back section though it’s not evident what’s gained. Then again, they wouldn’t have made the change unless there was some benefit.

Overall, the primary purpose of these changes is to make it the most reliable magazine of its type. It has been tested extensively and shown to provide improved feeding reliability.

The only negatives that I see are:
1. Heavy weight.
2. They have the Restricted legend on them. I would prefer to see this unnecessary imprint eliminated.
3. Higher price as compared to the aluminum USGI mags.

Positive endorsement of this mag is given by the US Army Special Forces who have adopted it for their M4 weapons. They recently bought 150,000 units.

More information is available at www.hkdefense.us/corporate/media/pdf/416revised4-5-05.pdf

Lastly, I offer thanks to tripleh who sold me these NIB mags. He has a good price and fast shipping.

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:53:22 PM EDT
Interesting. Thanks for the review. Have you been out shooting them?

How do they work?

Thanks

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:46:37 AM EDT
How much were they? I have thought about picking some up, but I have so many Gi mags lying around it is a bit hard t justify.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:54:28 AM EDT
I have two of the first gen HK mags. These mags were build under contract for the British MOD for the SA80 Refurb program
The reason these mags exist is due to Hk finding that the main reason, falure to feed was due to mag issues IE USGI type ally mags. There is a new geometry on this mag it is slightly longer than the USGI type and the radius in the middle is of a lesser degree. These mags retail for $45.00us but ive seen them for $35.00
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:37:48 AM EDT
IMO, rerun of typical H&K hype.

Originally Posted By EStock:
I recently received some of HK’s new magazines and offer the following review:

The first thing you notice is that this magazine is heavy. It’s over ½ a pound. HK lists it at 0.54 lbs. That’s twice as heavy as an aluminum mag and the weight difference is very noticeable. Agree

HK has examined every aspect of the magazine and tried to improve upon it.

The follower is steel and reshaped for better feeding. It is also coated – probably to protect it from corrosion and to provide an anti-friction surface, both against the rounds and the inside of the magazine body. Finish color is black. They rusted badly in my testing

The spring is made from an advanced spring material – but the literature doesn’t specify exactly what it is or what the advantages and benefits are. Shhh...it's stainless steel as are USGI

The floor plate and magazine bottom are redesigned. Instead of 4 bent tabs holding the floor plate in place, there is a slot cut into the front of the magazine for the floor plate to engage. I never had a problem with the old design but potentially this eliminates the problem of breaking off the small tabs and makes it easier to assemble/disassemble. The HK mag has a small rubber plug to prevent inadvertent loosening. The plug is there to reduce the possibility of the plate coming off when the mag is dropped, causing the ammo to spew. The rubber will deteriorate or fall out well before you decide to discard a $45 mag.

The magazine body is steel – with the Maritime version having an anti-corrosion and anti-friction surface finish. HK also offers a second version referred to as a Standard coating. Given the potential for rust, I recommend the Maritime coating. The coating color is black. This may be the Hostile Environment (HE) coating used on their handguns. The body and follower have been heat treated to relieve stress. The dimensions are held to tight tolerances to ensure proper functioning. Workmansip is very nice....but any heat treatment (annealing) is to remove warping from welding the steel body. The material is soft and deforms quite easily compared to a genuine USGI aluminum body. The coatings look nice, but they will rust...yes the maritime rusts just as bad as the standard coating.

The area where the magazine catch is has been filled in. This is an open area on standard mags. By eliminating the opening they may prevent foreign material from getting into the inside of the mag. On the HK mag, this is where the date code is. Mine is stamped AE. This corresponds to 2004. Decoding info is provided at www.hkpro.com/symbols.htm.

The forward and rearward facing sides lack the typical spot welds. Instead there is a fine tig welded seam.

The feed lip area has a reshaped back section though it’s not evident what’s gained. Then again, they wouldn’t have made the change unless there was some benefit. Probably changed it as a CYA against potential infringement lawsuit from Colt

Overall, the primary purpose of these changes is to make it the most reliable magazine of its type. It has been tested extensively and shown to provide improved feeding reliability. I've seen all of HK's test data & more...they have no basis to claim this mag exceeds reliabiliuty of genuine USGI mags.

1. Heavy weight.
2. They have the Restricted legend on them. I would prefer to see this unnecessary imprint eliminated.

Positive endorsement of this mag is given by the US Army Special Forces who have adopted it for their M4 weapons. They recently bought 150,000 units. True, SOF wrote a glowing endorsement, based on user evaluations of handling/firing a small sample of mags without a structured tes, BTW....well before they understood any drawback other than weight. I don't believe they'll be buying more.

More information is available at www.hkdefense.us/corporate/media/pdf/416revised4-5-05.pdf

Lastly, I offer thanks to tripleh who sold me these NIB mags. He has a good price and fast shipping.

]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:36:55 AM EDT
They rusted badly in my testing

Did you have the “Standard” or “Maritime” finish? Or did you test both? Can you provide more details on your testing? In either case, if the finish is scratched off, then I would expect the exposed steel to rust. Note that the Maritime finish did pass the military standard salt fog test.

Shhh...it's stainless steel as are USGI

The main point would be if you had to duplicate the spring, what exact specification would you use? There are many alloys and different combinations of metals that go into the making of a spring. Finding the right combination which provides corrosion resistance, ability to operate over a wide temperature range and to not take a set is the difficult part. Since the spring is key to the operation of the mag, then it is part of the reason for the increased reliability.The spring is magnetic. If there’s nickel in it, then it’s not that high of a percentage.

The plug is there to reduce the possibility of the plate coming off when the mag is dropped, causing the ammo to spew. The rubber will deteriorate or fall out well before you decide to discard a $45 mag.

This does seem to be one of the areas that could be improved. I would like to see a more elegant solution. The small plug could get easily lost or broken. And when putting the magazine back together, you have to be careful to make sure the plug is fully seated.

Probably changed it as a CYA against potential infringement lawsuit from Colt

I would think that if there was a patent on the 30 round magazine, it would have expired many years ago. How long has the Colt design been around? More likely it would be for HK to claim enough changes to get their own patent and keep competitors form copying their design.

I've seen all of HK's test data & more...they have no basis to claim this mag exceeds reliabiliuty of genuine USGI mags.

Both HK and USASOC tests came to the same conclusions of increased reliability. As an observation, why would USASOC adopt it as their standard mag for the M4? They go to great extremes to reduce weight - and would not have adopted the mag unless they felt the extra reliability outweighed the extra weight.

1. Heavy weight.
4. Small rubber plug at bottom of mag could get lost or broken. Somewhat difficult to reinsert.

True, SOF wrote a glowing endorsement, based on user evaluations of handling/firing a small sample of mags without a structured tes, BTW....well before they understood any drawback other than weight. I don't believe they'll be buying more.

Do you have a link to this endorsement - where it can be found?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:27:37 AM EDT
They should be called "HK overpriced 30 rd mag".

FREE
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:58:12 AM EDT
Both std & maritime rusted just as badly...no difference.

Relating to performance (function) of the spring.... The spring material is not critical, But it's design and quality of construction are.

I don't believe the plug is intended to be removed. Agree with other comments on this item.

Anyone making the mag commercially should have some concern over inclusion of design/data that could be traced to back to Colt's data. Not due to patent, but design ownership. Reverse engineering a mag is ok legally, making it from a copy of Colt's (owned) data may not be.

It hasn't been proven more reliable.

A link to 5th group's endorsement was posted in another thread, I've lost track of the link.
Top Top