Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/12/2005 5:02:42 PM EDT
Ok this might seem stupid to some people but I was just really wondering about this: I was browsing Interordnance's site and on "Magazines and clips" I noticed that actual German HK G3 magazines are considerably less than mostly all AR15/M16 mags. G3 mags are 1 like new condition for $3.95, 10 used VG condition for $19.50, and so on up to $100 for 100 mags. So riddle me this: why are G3 mags, magazines for a much less seen rifle, so much less in price than the much more common AR15 20 and 30 round mags? I know you can find cheap mags for $10 or so but I'm talking about high-quality mags that you can actually rely on like "NHMTG" and Colt mags (I can understand Colt I guess). I just don't get this if not as many people own G3s as they do AR15s? (At least I don't see many G3s ever). Is it just because the demand for AR mags is much higher so the people who sell them know that people will pay $15+ a mag?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:31:54 PM EDT
G3s are not as common here but they were very common around the world for the last 40 years. i think 40 some countries issued the G3, so there is a ton of surplus floating around. most of those mags are dated in the 60s and 70s (i've bought a ton for my HK91 for under $5 each over the last few years).
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:35:42 PM EDT
I would guess there were millions of G3-type weapons around the world. Same with FALs. Remember both of those weapons were manufactured in almost all developed, non communist-bloc countries for 30+ years. Millions of rifles means hundreds of millions of magazines. With the smallbore takeover these are now non-needed surplus. There are not as many of those type weapons over here due to import restrictions, etc. Plus with the AWB going to the crap pile of history, there is a HUGE demand for AR type rifles and mags. Things change though. 15 years ago and more recently, G3 mags were mondo expensive at $50 to $75 a pop and USGI M14 mags were $10. Now you won't find a USGI M14 mag new for less than $25. Two years ago new USGI M14 mag were a deal at $50 a pop. AR mags aren't too bad in price. You can get them "as new" for as little as $10-$15 if you shop around. I would guess with the glut of new products, prices will come down further eventually.

Please note that this post is completely my own speculation and if anyone knows better please educate me as to the facts of the issue.

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:36:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 5:38:10 PM EDT by Blanco_Diablo]
Ah...like I said, I haven't seen very many G3s. But if that is the reason, I still don't see why we don't see AR15 mags as cheap. A lot of countries use the M16 don't they? Would it be because they're actually using them now?

ETA: I'm not complaining about prices, I'm just wondering about this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 5:50:09 PM EDT by SmegHead]
Other countries use the AR mag (standard NATO interface) with their domestic weapon systems. The Brits' L85, the Jap/Howa type 89, Beretta AR70/90, the Frogs' FAMAS F2, FN's FNC, HK G41, Daewoo K2, Singapore SR88, CETME Model L, and I'm sure some others as well.

War on terror!

Man, I know a lot of useless stuff!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:18:54 AM EDT
During the assault weapons ban era, it was possible to import magazines if you completed the documentation and were able to prove that the magazines were manufactured before the enectment of the ban. Many magazines were imported after the ban by importers that located warehouses full of these mags in Europe left over from Armies that changed their battle rifles. HK rifle/SMG magazines are generally date coded and were easier to prove date of manufacture than some other manufacturers. Hence the boatloads of HK MP-5 stick mags and G3 mags that hit the market at dirt cheap prices during the latter part of the ban.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:18:00 AM EDT
The Germans dumped thier entire stock of G3 mags about the same time as a few other countrues did, and demand for them is not that high so thye are selling for a fraction of what they cost to replace.

When it comes to G3 mags, these are the good old days. Never again will they be this cheap.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:30:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:
The Germans dumped thier entire stock of G3 mags about the same time as a few other countrues did, and demand for them is not that high so thye are selling for a fraction of what they cost to replace.

When it comes to G3 mags, these are the good old days. Never again will they be this cheap.

Ditto...

I don't even have a HK91 but I still picked up over 60 of them for less then $2 each. Never know when a 91 will fall into my lap. Or maybe one of those US made clones. Get them while they are cheap.

FB
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:08:13 AM EDT

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."

i have not seen red dwarf for ever!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:43:56 AM EDT
I only wish H&K 93 mags were as cheap. Maybe when the Germans surplus the 5.56 gun?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:08:42 AM EDT
I have bought a LOT of FAL mags for $3-5 each, and got some LNIW Steyr manufacture for $7 each, shipped.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:24:31 AM EDT
Sold myself so well on those G-3 mags, I just bought (20) more from Cheaper than dirt for $2.95ea.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:13:56 AM EDT
I was at CTD about a year ago and they had them for $1.97 apiece. I had them pull 100 of them-I remember vividly saving up for my first HK91 and then finding out I could only afford 4 magazines because they were $25 apiece!

The order puller came to the front counter to ask if it was really 100. I thought that was pretty funny because they are a volume dealer. Anyway, I got to talk to the guy and he pulled me some REALLY nice mags. Most of mine were early 80's HK and Rheinmetals. A very few had some rust on the follower but it pretty much wiped off with CLP. VERY HAPPY with these.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:46:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 11:49:25 AM EDT by King_of_All_Tyrants]
I'll more or less repeat what everyone else has said. It's all about supply and demand.

The Germany Army dumped the G3 a few years ago for the G36. That leaves a TON of magazines that they surplused; people bring them in and sell them for $1-$5 a piece. Supply goes WAY UP all of a sudden; the market is saturated. Supply: very high. Demand: not too high. How many HK91s and PTR-91s are on the market? Not too many.

Again, buy them now while you can. German companies are never going to make G3 mags again. The same applies for FAL mags- indeed, the great era of FAL kits and mags has come and gone in the past three-four years.

The US still has an enormous demand for M16 mags, to say nothing of other countries. This enormous demand for new mags means that we have to pay for new magazines if we want M16 mags. Supply: high. Demand: VERY HIGH.

M14 mags are expensive because - to my knowledge - no one has made them for years. Supply: low. Demand: gets higher and higher because of the increased civilian popularity of the M1A. Result: outrageous prices for USGI mags. And barring the discovery of any caches of usable M14 mags overseas, the prices will just go up, up, up, up, up.

(I'd imagine making GI-spec mags might be a profitable business for a small machine shop these days).

[edited to remove: "there's comparatively little military surplus M16 mags on the market". You see plenty of "I survived Parris Island" batches of mags on the EE]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:25:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By King_of_All_Tyrants:
I'll more or less repeat what everyone else has said. It's all about supply and demand.

M14 mags are expensive because - to my knowledge - no one has made them for years. Supply: low. Demand: gets higher and higher because of the increased civilian popularity of the M1A. Result: outrageous prices for USGI mags. And barring the discovery of any caches of usable M14 mags overseas, the prices will just go up, up, up, up, up.

(I'd imagine making GI-spec mags might be a profitable business for a small machine shop these days).

I believe Checkmate is making M14 mags currently, or @ least within the last couple of years.

FB
Top Top