Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2006 12:31:38 PM EDT
Anybody buy or use one of HK's mags for an AR15?  Seems like the going price is about $50 bucks a mag.  I mean they look awesome, and they are HK, but you could 4 or 5 for that price.  Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I got 1 at a funshow awhile back and it was $40. I overheard someone say another vendor had some for Like $38.

I wanted one for my collection and spotted this one with the black follower.

They're cool, but not really necessary for the type of shooting I do IMO.

YMMV

Danny
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought only one HK mag because of the high cost, I won't buy another.

I'd rather get two high reliability mags like the D&H with upgraded Magpul followers and Wolff extra power springs.

Maybe add some Magpul Ranger plates if you get the mags at a low sale price.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone have a pic of the HK mag?

Why does Heckler and Koch make a magazine for the
AR-15?

They don't make an AR-15 rifle do they?

Frank
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why does Heckler and Koch make a magazine for the
AR-15?

They don't make an AR-15 rifle do they?

Frank

I have a picture of it on my AR but it's not a close-up view.

Heckler & Koch make their mag for their HK416 gas piston carbines and they sell them to the US military special forces, a picture link and some info below.

www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/index.jsp?loc=221&SITEID=B&PartNumber=HK416
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Frank

Someone else will answer the rest of your questions I'm sure.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple of the 1st generation H&Ks and a dozen or so of the 2nd generation - They are damn nice mags. Very solid, and feed flawlessly.

That said; If you are only looking to spend $100 or so on mags this year - I would buy 10 D&H over 2 H&Ks. I have blasted away with the D&H teflons, and never had an issue with them, and they wear well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Here's a picture of my one and only HK mag in my LMT carbine.

They look great and functions very well, I tried tilting the followers but it won't tilt.

It easily loads 30 rounds and it's easy to load in the rifle.

But like I said before it cost too much and I'd rather buy two good USGI mags instead of one HK.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

But like I said before it cost too much and I'd rather buy two good USGI mags instead of one HK.

Or four good USGI mags.  Very nice carbine!

TS
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/LMTDefender2KEOtech5511911MDPS.jpg

Or four good USGI mags.  Very nice carbine!

TS

Quoted:
I'd rather get two high reliability mags like the D&H with upgraded Magpul followers and Wolff extra power springs.

Maybe add some Magpul Ranger plates if you get the mags at a low sale price.

Thanks.

I should have said two high reliability USGI mags upgraded with Magpul followers, Wolff springs and maybe Magpul Ranger plates like in my first post.

1 HK mag = 2 high reliability upgraded USGI mags = 4 standard USGI mags

Either way if you get any type of USGI mags you get more mags rather than 1 HK mag.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#12]
After I wrote that I figured out what you meant.  You're right either way, USGI is a better buy.  

TS
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#13]
What is the difference between 1st generation HK's and 2nd generation HK?

Or is there such a thing?  Thought I read something on another post once.

Frank
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What is the difference between 1st generation HK's and 2nd generation HK?

Or is there such a thing?  Thought I read something on another post once.

Frank

Ok.  I am doing this from memory.... so dont hold me to this.....

The 1st gen has a silver follower, the 2nd has a black follower.

the 1st has the letters on the outside filled in with white, the 2nd does not.

the 1st has some type of finish (i cant remember), the second has a maritime finish(more rust resistant, i think).

the 1st has no rubber bumper in the bottom to stop the floor plate from popping out, the 2nd DOES.

this all i can remember.  anyone... please feel free to add or correct any mistakes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Different floor plates I think and the 1st gen had the chrome follower instead of black follower which would rust.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
+1

What they said.

H&K Mags thread link

Mine which is shown in the LMT pic above is a gen 2 with AF code markings.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#17]
My thoughts in the HK Magazine verses the GI Magazine

The HK magazine is built with the idea that the magazine is a durable and reusable item, and it is to be used with the same care and diligence as the rifle itself; not dumped on the ground and thrown about, and it will be used repeatedly many times over.  Hence its quality of constriction, stamped steel with a machined follower, etc.  I think this tactical thought is also reflected in the price of a magazine $50 - $60.

The GI magazine is built with the idea that the magazine is a consumption and disposable item separate from the rifle; it is to be used a few times at best and disposed of; dumping and abandoning it on the ground, throwing it about, etc.  Hence its marginal and limited quality of construction.  I think this tactical thought is also reflected in the price of a magazine $15 - $20.

I guess the bottom line for me is the magazine is the one of the most important part of the rifle.  Many functioning problems can be traced back to the magazine.  And I always remember if I do not have a good quality and 100% reliable magazine, well then all I do have is a very awkward and not so useful single shot rifle…not so good!

Take care and good shooting

MP5 Machinenpistole
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#18]
The H&K magazine typifies the German experience with the magazine- over-built, over-engineered, over-priced.  I mean look at World War I era Luger magazines, and they still function flawlessly!  I mean how expensive was it, is it, to have a one piece extruded aluminum magazine?
That having been said, like many others I bought the H&K magazine for the novelty and nothing else.  Soon however curiosity killed me and I cut open the wrapper and studied it.  First off, the follower feels like it moves on roller bearings as opposed to a spring!  The weight is substantially greater then a standard GI magazine, say five GI's to one H&K.  The level of craftsmanship is obvious- selection of materials, close tolerances, etc.  
I own several now, which represents a great investment.  They are great to have around but I am not sure they justify the cost.  Although a relative of mine in Iraq as an independent swears by them.  So I suppose if you can justify it, go for it!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#19]
the H&K mag is not five times as heavy as a GI mag. it is a little more than twice the weight of a GI mag but not five times the weight.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I would like to have ONE HK mag for collecting purposes, and to compare it to other mags.

I even have several FOLLOWERS ( metal - black - green - magpul I )which make a fine conversation piece, even if my friends are hunters without BRD.

What I LIKE about the HK mags is the mag catch - its NOT a HOLE!

IMHO it reduces the chance of a mag catch getting in too deep "in" the mag. Also its one hole less.

Its a "win" item: no disadvantage ( but perhaps no advantage or not much of it ).

Your opinions?

H
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, so I just got mine in the mail,  went ahead and said what the hell.  Have not had it at range.

That being said.... WOW.  I cant make the follower tilt, and it's like it's on ball bearings.  There is no give.  The coating is slick, and it pops right in/out.  And the body seems to be MUCH stronger than average USGI mags.  Was it worth $50?  For my purposes no.  But I have one.......
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#22]
i now have about twenty of the mags (got a good price) but i still have no idea on how to remove the base plate. i feel a little dumb but after playing with it for a while i gave up, dont want to damage it. anyone know how to remove the base plate on the 2nd gen mags?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:37:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Different floor plates I think and the 1st gen had the chrome follower instead of black follower which would rust.

Just for , I tested both in a std. salt fog cabinet, they "rust" equally well
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
i now have about twenty of the mags (got a good price) but i still have no idea on how to remove the base plate. i feel a little dumb but after playing with it for a while i gave up, dont want to damage it. anyone know how to remove the base plate on the 2nd gen mags?

You have to pull out the little rubber plug.  I use a pair of needle nose pliers.  You should be able to figure it out after that.  It's pretty easy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:04:45 AM EDT
[#25]
+1 A.R.3.

What a GREAT CARBEANER!!!!

But I hate HK mags

You are right about 2 USGI mags
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#26]
HK mags are made of steel. Steel is far more durable than alluminum. 1 HK mag will outlast 4 USGi disposable mags given all have hard use.
Pat
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have to pull out the little rubber plug.  I use a pair of needle nose pliers.  You should be able to figure it out after that.  It's pretty easy.

While I'm sure pulling the plug would work, it was my interpretation that you just depress the locking plate & apply pressure to the floorplate thus compressing the rubber plug enough to allow the floor plate to unlock.  I would think to remove the plug is incorrect.  I'll try to remember to check mine and reply.  But as I said above, I'm certain as gotm4 posted with the plug removed, disassembly would be easier.  

Just checked on my lunch break, the method I describe above is my final answer.

I have 10 of the HKs and my bro has a dozen.  They're slick, but I still prefer my old USGIs.  

Sly
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:34:00 AM EDT
[#28]
At least one common misconception about the H&K mag...being made of steel, is that it is far more durable than a USGI.

Well folks, the USGI is made of hardened Aluminum, which is actully quite a bit tougher & harder than the material used in any of the steel magazines.

Get out your pliers and try bending the feed lips of each, or drop them on ther feed lips.... even loaded, if you care... & see which one is worse for wear. Or try cutting up one of each with a pair of tin-snips. You may change your opinion.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought one yesterday, is very well made and the follower is smoother in operation than any other mag I've tried including lebelle/d&h with magpul followers.  Notice however that I bought only one.  The price was 49.95 10 mags are half the price of a good AR-15.  I'll probably buy more but it'll take a while.  gonna go test today (got a case of ammo i've got to get rid of)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I tested my 1 and only ONE H&K Gen2 Mag today.

WOW I LIVE THIS MAG!

I can't wait to see if the C Products Stainless Mag compares to this one.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
HK mags are made of steel. Steel is far more durable than alluminum. 1 HK mag will outlast 4 USGi disposable mags given all have hard use.
Pat

PLZ

Tell my OLD COLT 20 rounders w/ metal followers  this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I have 4 of the HK mags.  I keep them in my entry vest, which is in a big, honkin' bag with lots of other gear.  The bag gets thrown into trunks to go places, and the mags are basically subject to more abuse in the trunk than they are in use.  I thought something a little heavier in construction than the GI mags would be a good idea in this environment.  I still use GI mags all the time, and they are fine, I just don't know if I trust them to hold all the weight if some of the other guys throw their shit on top of my shit in the car.  Both work fine, but it's easier to seat the HK's with 30 in them (all my GI mags get 28).  I think the peice of mind is worth what I paid for them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I have offered spirited defense of Hk mags for a year or two now as being the very best AR mag made.
so much in fact, that my comments now sound biased even to me. But I read the following comments on another forum re: Hk mags and found it to make the case better than I ever could

here they are: (originally posted by 1SFG and again here w/out permission) ( LINK )

we've put maybe 30,000 rounds through HK mags so i can offer my (novice) opinions on the matter. we originally trained with the standard mag, and even with the green followers, experienced constant jams as the round count increased. we ordered about 10 cases of the HK mags (something like 400 mags total) and started putting a ton of rounds through them. We noticed jamming almost immediately. not as much as the GI mags, but enough that it became a PITA. These were primarily ftf problems. we were just about ready to go back to GI mags, perhaps using magpul followers, when one a couple of our guys went down to sterling to chat with HK and order a bunch of their 416's. One of the instructors mentioned the problems we were having with their mags and the guy there told him to pack them all up and send them back and he'd get the most recent iteration out to us.

Those mags are the best I've used anywhere so far. The failures ceased immediately. Built like a tank and we train hard with them. Mag changes while doing clearing exercise with the mags dropping decent distances onto concrete. Outdoors running through drills with mag changes on some pretty harsh terrain, covered with gravel that's more like a friggin' quarry. The follower on the HK is the key, as there is very little to no play. You don't get the tilting that you get in the standard GI mag. I have buddies who head up a civilian agency's training program and they use the facilities down at Crucible, and they too have had the same experience; problems with the original HK mags, no issues with their updated version.

Now, is it worth the price. HK seems to think so. The entire outer shell is metal, and the follower is also metal. It's built strong; i've never had one separate on me. But i do think it is overpriced, as are the HK handgun mags which retail for the same price (at least in .45acp). For range use, you should be fine with the USGI mags, but I would definitely address the follower issue there. In my personal guns, I have 10 of the new version for each gun - about 50 total. Paid full price for them, but I tend to go with what I know. A buddy of mine on the team still likes his USGI mags (he's a weight savings junkie - anything he can do the lighten his load, he does), and he has about 250 USGI mags, all running the magpul followers, and frankly, he's not having any problems either. YMMV and my comments are in no way an endorsed statement from the big green.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I think there are other appealing alternatives on the market but the HK magazine certainly is a top quality piece of kit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Well folks, the USGI is made of hardened Aluminum, which is actully quite a bit tougher & harder than the material used in any of the steel magazines.
END QUOTE

Sorry but wrong. Steel is far harder and stronger and has more tensil strenght. I have worn out my share of USGI mags. The HK mags are still holding strong.
Pat
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
END QUOTE

Sorry but wrong. Steel is far harder and stronger and has more tensil strenght. I have worn out my share of USGI mags. The HK mags are still holding strong.
Pat

You must really bang them up?  When you dump a mag is it falling on concrete? or just the earth/ground!

I let my Colt 20`s w/ metal followers  fall on the range ground without any trouble? Back in IN. shooting range!

at my range here in FL you cant shoot in the grass?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Aluminum is 4 ounces lighter. Steel rusts. I can replace a half dozen mag bodies on a USGI mag for the price of one HK mag.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Kudos to H&K for marketing a product to our troops & taxpayers, about $10M worth, then learn at our expense mind you all the things that are wrong. Look for "Gen III" in the near future.

I stand by my previous statements relative to the mechanical properties (materials) of an aluminum GI mag vs. any steel AR magazine. Anyone can see the difference using the tools I describe.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Feedlips usually crack before the mag gets other damage.  At least thats been the problem I have had with USGI mags. Their great mags until they brake.  I like the HK mags because of the long term durability of steel. I like this because its nice to know you have mags that will last in case there is another ban.
Pat
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#40]
To each their own.

In this case I equate the perspective durable with ductile. Ductile materials deform without breaking, cracking, etc. Personally, I'd rather have a feedlip or weld, etc, to crack and visibly fail rather than have a ductile magazine deform. Deformed feedlips might go un-noticed and/or be easy to reshape, but I'm not betting that I can restore them to the proper shape, height, etc. Dropping or stacking weight on steel mags is more likley to cause defomation.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#41]
If anyone gets a chance, take a look at a loaded HK mag - notice how the 2nd round from the top is pushed inward slightly? There's dimples on the sided that do this. This ensures that the top round is pushed up tightly against the feed lip & reduces "bolt over base" stoppages.

That's something no $15 GI mag can say.

While they may be steel, they're definitely not "soft" steel & won't bend or break as easily as aluminum. And a superior finish reduces the risk of rust.

Little things like HK mags might not appear to us civilians to do much - most AR's run reliably with most GI type mags - but they can eliminate the 1 out of 500 or 1 out of 1000 malfunction. That might cost you a match, or your life.

To each his own, but don't bad mouth a superior product (with which most of you obviously have no first hand experience) just because you're too cheap to spend $40.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
To each his own, but don't bad mouth a superior product (with which most of you obviously have no first hand experience)

I will have to second this statement.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#43]
BTW, I have several dozen H&K of various "GEN".
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I just got issued 6 H&K mags a couple of days ago.  I would have gotten 13, but they're way heavy so I only got half and half.  Suckers.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
There are much more savvy ways to spend your money IMO.
my 10 dollar mags work just as good, as far as i can tell.

Discussions on Hk mags always comes back to the money.

If they were the exact same price, would you guys take the Hk mags, or a USGI?

If you answered - Yes, you have identified the problem people have with them. It is NOT performance, durability, etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#48]
* supposedly you can fit 30 rounds in it and still have it seat properly*

ive never had any problems loading 30 rounds into every single magazine Ive shot
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's my AR with an HK mag in it, paid so damn much for it I won't load it and shoot it at the range because I don't want it getting scuffed up.  Don't get me wrong, it's high quality to say the least.  But I bet it's no better than one of the SS mags with a Magpul follower from C Products at half the cost.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top