Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/13/2005 1:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 5:59:36 AM EDT by drabchoi]
Could bump firing cause my rifle to have light primer hits? Once this occurs the rifle can not fire until the round is cleared and new one is chambered.
I assume since it is the same priniciple has shooting an unsupported 1911 and having a stove pipe... Except I have no failure to extracts or feeds...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:42:05 PM EDT
Hammer is most likely fallowing the bolt. Light primer hits can happen with normal firing since the pin floats it can contact the primer but not with near enough force to ignite the primer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:51:07 PM EDT
so that is probably my problem.....

But what would cause it to hit the primer light under normal slow firing....(just wondering)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:59:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 8:00:36 PM EDT by chickrepelent]
I had that problem with a couple of my telestock equiped AR's. I switched to an M4 buffer and it cleared up. I was able to start and stop bumpfiring when I choose. Short bursts, long bursts, whatever.
I have to agree with Gungho 1989 about the hammer following the bolt instead of being reset because thats what my rifles were doing. If your using a telestock or any stock that uses a car buffer changing the weight might help.
Be advised, when I tried a heavier 9mm buffer the bumpfire problem came back. I was using RRA triggers.

I have to edit this. After I hit submit I seen that you asked about having the same problem while firing normally. That sounds like a trigger group problem.
The dimpled primer on a round that has been chambered is normal.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:25:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 3:26:11 PM EDT by Gungho_1989]
Lock your bolt to the rear then drop it on a loaded mag, remove the Mag eject the round with your charging handle and I bet you will see a light primer strike. The AR's Firing pin floats, in other words there is no spring or any other device to hold it off the primer when it cycles the next round into the chamber. It will bounce of the primer from normal cycling, but without enoug force to ignite the primer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:17:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 4:19:25 PM EDT by drabchoi]
so you are saying that a heavier buffer may help with my problem....HOws that work?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5574&title=CAR-15+COUNTERWEIGHT+BUFFER

It seems that my problem is always around when I bump fire. Maybe once 5 times in a 100 rounds.

My local gun dealer said that bump firing will lead to this since I am not shouldering the rifle and there is nothing stoping it.(I always bump from my shoulder not my hip)..They felt that if this was ment to be a real M-16 then the trigger would allow full auto and my shoulder would be there to help fight the recoil.(like limp wristing a 1911).

Unless you guys are saying that bump firing in no way will lead to any type of malfunction...

By the way the rifle is a new midlength RRA 16" with a Magpul collapsable stock. thanks for the help...I dont want to send the rifle back to RRA...infact it should be going to MSTN for mods.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:56:19 PM EDT
chick...IM sent
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:58:21 PM EDT
drabchoi- sent IM back.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:59:11 AM EDT
Well...jsut got back from the range...I changed back the original full size stock and buffer and shot a few rounds. It seem bump firing off the shoulder with the full size stock is harder.

Anyway,,,,i fired 30 rounds of slow fire with no problems...But....the minute the stock leaves my shoulder it has a light primer hit.... I am not even trying to bump fire it!!!!

I am thinking it may not be a buffer issue but the match trigger being too light interms of the hammer.....
but would this cause the hammer to follow the bolt assembly back and not fire? I took apart the trigger and can not find anything wrong. It almost seems as if the trigger can not hang on to the hammer when the whole rifle slides back a little with no shoulder support..

Can anyone understand what is going on here? Even if the rifle is shot off hand like a "
jihad spray and prey..." the rifle should not malfunction this readily....right?

Help!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:33:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 6:35:24 PM EDT by Gungho_1989]

Originally Posted By Gungho_1989:
Lock your bolt to the rear then drop it on a loaded mag, remove the Mag eject the round with your charging handle and I bet you will see a light primer strike. The AR's Firing pin floats, in other words there is no spring or any other device to hold it off the primer when it cycles the next round into the chamber. It will bounce of the primer from normal cycling, but without enoug force to ignite the primer.

Did you try this I just did it with three different AR's and they all leave a dimple from simply chambering a round. Unless its a major dimple or I am totally misunderstanding your question it is perfectly normal.
Just reread your post. Is the rifle not firing when you pull the trigger, with it out of your shoulder?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:04:55 PM EDT
i am saying that wheni am firing the rifle....and i am shooting it unsupported by my shoulder...i get a light primer hit and the bulllet does not fire...as a result if i am in a fire fight, i am in trouble...

similar to when you turn the rifle over and enter a building without it touching your shoulder.
Or when you bump fire and it is not contacting your shoulder......

I dont know how many ways to say it..I am aware that the pin is floating and puts a tiny dent on the primer when chambering...But I am saying under fireing a string of rounds and say the 5th round i have no shoulder support for the stock...then i get this malfunction.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE shed some light on the reason this happens...

is it because the hammer spring is too light on this match trigger?

is it that the buffer is too light?

???????????????????????????????­?????
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:36:18 AM EDT
Top Top