Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/22/2004 6:05:57 PM EST
I assembled my first AR15 lower today on an Eagle Arms stripped receiver. I have a problem. When I put in the Bolt Catch Buffer it went in a little tight so I emery clothed it and tried again. It went in all the way and now will not come out!! The spring is installed behind it but apparently that's not enough to pop it out. I tried grabbing the end with needle nose pliers and just ended up puching it in deeper. How the hell can I get it out?? I am hoping that when the rifle is done that the recoil of firing it will pop the thing out. Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:20:52 PM EST
magnet? thats all i got, sorry.

John
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:31:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:16:28 AM EST
Thanks! I'll try the hairdryer first.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:58:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 7:03:33 AM EST by otto_esq]
Here is my post from this thread to a guy in your same predicament in August:
So I'm a newbee with a bad build...

I had the same situation within the last year on an Eagle Arms stripped lower.

I resigned myself to needing a new plunger, so I took my dremel and burred a small indentation in the center of the face of the plunger (be steady for the HSS bur will go to town on the aluminum much easier than the steel)

I then took a small machine screw and started it into the hole and pulled the plunger out. It didn't take much effort -- just more than the srping could provide in the new, rough channel.

It turns out that the plunger was reusable after filing the face smooth, for the small hole seems to have no effect on the back of the bolt stop.

Now I always prefit the plunger by testing it upside-down in a set of small needlenose vice grips before attemping installation. (and subsequently found another EA lower that would have caused the same headache in the process)

Good luck,

Cheers, Otto

BTW Top-prop (author of the above thread) stated he used the above method and it worked for him -- it sounds more dificult that it was.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:28:56 AM EST
Did you try removing the tube/extension, and hitting it open side down on a block of wood?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:14:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 9:15:03 AM EST by Darkest2000]
soak it with CLP and it'll fly out before you even know it.

If that doesn't work, send it my way for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:37:07 AM EST
Thanks otto. That may be the next step.

I did try whacking the receiver in the palm of my hand but it didn't pop out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:04:42 PM EST
As long as you have no rubber/plastic on the assembly, it should take 300 to 350 degrees without any damage. Give your wife the credit cards, point her towards the mall and put it in her oven.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:28:30 PM EST
30 min at 300 degrees, then rap it against he wood cutting board on the counter. Use the nice oven mit there in the kitchen, too.

Yes, make sure the wife is out of the house.

No big deal, it will pop right out.

Most likely you have a little burr or some grit in the hole.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:08:48 PM EST
Do I have to strip the receiver of all of it's parts before I heat it in the oven?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:33:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 5:36:20 PM EST by Herzo]
300 degrees won't hurt any metal parts. You just need to remove the stock and any plastic or rubber parts. The buffer tube should be aluminum so that won't be a problem. The main reason to use the oven is to heat everything up evenly and avoid hot spots. I forgot, the buffer tube retains the buffer stop so you probably have not installed it.
Top Top