Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 10:16:38 AM EDT
Well, I just turned 18 and I think its time I get myself an M4 type AR-15.  I'm looking for something under $750, since I am a college student and money is well...spent at strip clubs, I mean BOOKS!!! Yes, lots and lots of books... I'm looking for any sort of recommendations.  Also, if the AWB dies (which it will, let's face it, if I was in Washinton during an election year, I wouldn't touch it), will companies start shipping with pre ban style configurations?  Basically, I want a simple, no nonsense rifle that I can shoot the crap out of without any hitch.  Somoe other specs I'm looking for include a 16'' bbl, a flash hider, and the M4 style stock.  Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
For an M4 type rifle, i would say the Colt MT6400 is actually the best deal going.  it includes a lot of extras:  stiffer extraction spring, heavy buffer, extended feed ramps, and a side sling adaptor.   All things that extend reliability and aid function under adverse conditions, which can keep you shooting longer.  Something else might cost you $50 or so less, but if you wanted to add those things to another brand, it would cost you a lot more than $50.  It might cost you $50-$100 more than your budget, but it will be a better value in the long run.

My second choice would be a Bushmaster.  For any other model, other than an M4, my first choice would be Bushmaster.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Good advice from Knightone.  The Colt is definitely your best bet if you want an M4 style rifle.  You really can't go wrong with Bushmaster for any rifle but the extras that Knightone mentioned in the Colt M4 style make the difference in that case.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, I just turned 18 and I think its time I get myself an M4 type AR-15.  I'm looking for something under $750, since I am a college student and money is well...spent at strip clubs, I mean BOOKS!!! Yes, lots and lots of books... I'm looking for any sort of recommendations.  Also, if the AWB dies (which it will, let's face it, if I was in Washinton during an election year, I wouldn't touch it), will companies start shipping with pre ban style configurations?  Basically, I want a simple, no nonsense rifle that I can shoot the crap out of without any hitch.  Somoe other specs I'm looking for include a 16'' bbl, a flash hider, and the M4 style stock.  Thanks in advance guys.

Ill, I spoke with a gent at Rock River Arms a few weeks ago. He told me that they will indeed be shipping weapons in no ban configuration once death has been pronounced. However, wait times might well get pretty high.

I'm not sure how authenticially M4ish you're looking to go, but rbprecision sells a number of 16" RRA rifles for $650. I'm awaiting delivery of a RRA CAR-A4, and will be putting a M4 style telestock on it following the death of the ban. The stocks are available for $52 with the hardware, also from RB. Rock River Arms has a solid reputation, and RB Precision is an excellent company to work with.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Also of note, is if Colt starts putting real collapsible stocks on their MT6400 after the ban sunsets, it will be milspec in dimension and will allow you to mount a Crane or VLTOR stock without replacing the extension tube.  

Rock River and Armalite would be equal as thrid choices.  Both, however, use 4140 steel for their barrels instead of the 4150 that Colt and Bushmster uses.  It's probably something you won't ever notice, but if you have a choice to get the stronger steel, wouldn't you make that choice?

Just something to watch out for:  Colt uses larger than milspec trigger/hammer pins.  This is not a big deal, but just soemthing to keep in mind when buying replacement parts and aftermarket triggers.  Even Bushamster sells the oversized trigger sets and Rock River makes their two stage trigger with large pins for Colts as well, so parts can be found in many palces.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, I just turned 18 and I think its time I get myself an M4 type AR-15.  I'm looking for something under $750, since I am a college student and money is well....

BIY! You can build your first one with a lower receiver and a kit from JTD/M&A/M1S for what you're budgeted for. You can be a "brand snob" for your next one(s).
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
hmmm I like the Colt, but I'm having trouble finding one under budget.  As for building one myself, I was thinking about it, and am going to do some more research.  Sounds like a great idea though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 As for building one myself, I was thinking about it, and am going to do some more research.  Sounds like a great idea though.

Print and read this; ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Lon, ok u did it, I'm officially building one myself.  Check out my post in the build it yourself forum.  That attachment was a great help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top