Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 5:18:20 PM EDT
Here's the story, I bought a complete upper receiver assemble a few years back. It is all bushmaster except the c-more free float rail installed. The barrel is clearly marked B MP 5.56 1/9 H BAR, it is fluted and everything, but it is barely 10" long. The previous owner permanently installed a 9" fake silencer on it to make it the legal length. The fake silencer slid over the 9" barrel extension that he both silver soldered and pined in place. I was fine with this setup for a bit, but one day I realized that it was just silly not to have a flash hider instead of this heavy piece of junk. So I removed the permanently attached barrel extension and silencer looking cover (with some difficulty), and I bought a 5.5 inch bushmaster flash hider. With the flash hider installed I am exactly 1" shy of a legal 16".

So, I need either a 1" - 2" barrel extension that is threaded on both sides, or a similar 6-7" flash hider. I really like the look of the bushmaster 5.5" flash hider, but I don't want to take any chances having a 15" barrel. If anyone knows where I can buy such a thing, or someone who could make one for whatever price, please let me know. I have the equipment to permanently attach the extension and flash hider, but not the equipment to make such a thing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just sell the short barrel and buy a 16" barrel?  It will be easier, and likely no more expensive.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know flash suppressors were allowed AT ALL in California.  Congrats I suppose.

I'd sell the 10" and purchase an 11.5" to attach the long suppressor to, or I'd purchase a 16" superlight and use a slip-over skinny if I just had to have that "long flash suppressor" look.

A barrel extension will look goofy, and your barrel will still be unneccessarily loud.  All the drawbacks and NONE of the benefits of a SBR.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If I weren't allowed to put a flash hider on it, I probably wouldn't be worried about the length either ht
Honestly I am not concerned with the looks, and the rifle was already very loud. This rifle is not my main weapon, not even my backup, so if you have any links to websites that sell something that will work for me please post them.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Well..... as it stands, with the less than 16" length, you are in posession of a SBR (Short Barrel Rifle)...... It will be less expensive to replace the barrel than have someone making parts/whatever to bring it up to the min length....

Sorry to say that I know of no place that has an extension to make a 10" barrel 16"+.......

Good luck.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been searching the internet for something that will work and I am starting to think you guys are right. I am not giving up though...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your advice guys.

After 2 hours of searching the internet, not to mention looking up How To's on threading and machining, I have decided to just sell the entire upper and buy another one. I'd rather do that than change out the barrel. I don't have the tools, time or patience to mess with that and also I don't like taking the precautions so I don't get nailed with an SBR. I hate storing things with friends, and god know how long it would take to get this thing legal again.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:34:16 AM EDT
[#7]
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

section 12276.1

flashiders are still banned in CA
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn't say they werent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#9]
well the whole point of your thread was to put a flash hider on your 10.5" barrel...
i was just looking out for you...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't have an SBR permit so I was more concerned with that, but I am allowed to have a flash suppressor on my rifle. Thanks though.

I got rid of the upper. I am getting yet another delton upper now. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#11]

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

section 12276.1

flashiders are still banned in CA

Thank you, CA Gun Law Expert from New Jersey.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a pre-Clinton ban AR in CA with flash hider, CAR stock, 30 round mags etc, and it was legal.  If hatter00 purchased his rifle as a pre-ban then registered it within the time period just after the CA ban, he can still have these features on his rifle, IIRC.  Hosed on the SBR thing, though.  hatter00, I think you made the best choice just going with a new upper.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a 5.5" flash suppressor and 10.5" barrel on my OLY AR, it is CA legal.  I bought it in San Diego, and registered it during the big AR law change.  I sold the upper, but still have the lower with a different upper in case I ever go back to CA I will have a legal SB23 gun behind the truck seat...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top