Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2004 9:45:42 AM EDT
I got the butstock off.But I can not for the life of me get the A2 Tube off.I even let it sit over night with some liquid wrench on the threads.

Ive just about got the end stripped and Im afraid Im going to damage my lower.Which would not be good.

Any suggestions or tricks Im missing????
Please help Im about to go psycho on the damn thing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Starting with the most obvious, did you removed the buffer and spring?  This won't be a huge deal, but may add some pressure by pushing against the buffer detent.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes I removed them.Any other suggestions??
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone?????
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe somebody used a little locktite when installing the buffer tube. Try getting it good and hot with a blowdrying and then wrenching it off before it cools.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
colt did that on some of theirs.......................

i finally just went psycho on mine after trying the lubricant/heat thing without success
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I just tried the hair dryer thing to no avail.Its a Knights lower,I dont see any signs of Loc-tite.Well I guess I will just keep at it.

Sooner or later somthing has got to give on this damn thing.

Thanks for replies

Jm03  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I just used an adjustable wrench on the flat areas at the end of the tube.  It came off a hell of a lot easier than I was expecting - based on some stories I've read about other's experiences.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless you're going to keep the A2 stock for later use:

Put the lower in an action block, and in a vise.  Get a pipe wrench, and bull the fucker off of there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Try other solvents. What dissolves Loctite? Perhaps acetone if it won't hurt the finish.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Update!

I finally got it.I put it back in the vise and had my buddy get one of those rubber mats you use to get lids off of stubborn jars.

He used that and I used my wrench, it finally made a huge cracking noise.I was sure I broke something.But it loosened and came off.

Then I spent 5 minutes looking for the little spring and detent pin that hold buffer and spring.

Thanks for the help,Gents!

Jm03
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Another way to do it with just a cresent wrench and a bed.........

Put the upper on the lower, push the pins in and slip the whole gun inbetween the mattress and box spring. Then sit on the mattress directly on top of the gun, use a cresent on the flats of the tube and it'll come off.

Its a little goofy, but try it!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Then I spent 5 minutes looking for the little spring and detent pin that hold buffer and spring.

+1

i should have warned you about that
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Check this post out I think it will help you even though you have already broken the castle nut free.

installing a collapsible stock

ALSO...........
Don't forget to check quarterbore.com as he is an authority on the subjects of stocks/buffers and related matters
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top