Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2004 5:20:19 PM EDT
Went to the range for the first time with my new CAR-15 and I had to set the rear sight all the way left to hit center.  It the barrel messed up or was it assembled wrong?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
call the company
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an upper that I had to move the rear sight all the way right to zero it.  No biggie after that. Shoots fine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
No luck there.  It was made from parts, it's not a from a co.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Get it to a qualified Armorer.  That's not acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
So you guys think that most likely it is assembled wrong?  I hope the barrel isn't jacked.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Most likely the barrel isn't indexed properly.  Take it to a reputable 'smith.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
What kind of front sight do you have on it?  Is it pinned on or held on with set screws?  While there may be a problem with the barrel, it could also be the front sight is not perpendicular.  If it is held on with set screws, you can do the trick Armalite tells you to do in their manual, just rotate the front sight base slightly left if you want the shots to go right, move it to the right if you want the shots to go left (opposite from the rear sight).  It takes VERY little movement to get it back on zero.  If it is pinned on, you are SOL with moving the FSB.  Just something you can try before sending it off to a smith, especially if everything else is working OK.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
what vendor did you buy the parts from. particularly the barrel and FSB....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanx for all the heads up.  I hope it's and indexing problem.  The front sight is pinned .  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a DPMS barrel.  As far as i know it should be all DPMS parts.  I think it was just not put together correctly.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
No prob.

Lock the upper reciever in a reciever block in a vice. Take a leather mallet and whack the front sight base on the left side in order to rotate the barrel to the right.

I'm not making this up. It works just fine.  I got this technique from Tweak and the guys on the "trouble shooting" and "build it yourself" forums.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No prob.

Lock the upper reciever in a reciever block in a vice. Take a leather mallet and whack the front sight base on the left side in order to rotate the barrel to the right.

I'm not making this up. It works just fine.  I got this technique from Tweak and the guys on the "trouble shooting" and "build it yourself" forums.

Luck,

SD

+1

When I was told this to work on my upper, I thought the person was pulling my leg.  Turns out he was not...  It actually works

ETA: try not to hit your thumb
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It is a DPMS barrel.  As far as i know it should be all DPMS parts.  I think it was just not put together correctly.  

There's your problem.  Buy Bushmaster next time.  Mine came from the shop with the sight dead center and hits the bullseye every time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's your problem.  Buy Bushmaster next time.  Mine came from the shop with the sight dead center and hits the bullseye every time.

You're obviously not too familiar with Bushmaster's history of overtorqued barrels.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's your problem.  Buy Bushmaster next time.  Mine came from the shop with the sight dead center and hits the bullseye every time. hr

My came w/ the aim about 2cm to the left.  Doh.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]
after all the reading and asking around for advice, my new buddy (falarak) told me to bring it over to his place and he'll show me how to fix it.  sure enough, the upper had the indexing slot a little to the left.  we(he) filled the right side just a hair and put it back together.  we used a bore sight to see how close we got and it appears to be right on the money.  i'll find out next weekend how true it is.  thanx for everyones help, especially falarak.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top