Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 5:20:20 PM EDT
I am an ex-military guy shooting civilian combat courses for fun.  We do shoot houses, and combat town stuff out to about 100 yards.  I am getting ready to buy some optics for my Bushmaster XM-15 with A3 upper.  I've spent two evenings pouring over the AR15.com forums and looked at hundreds of reticle pics (Thanks FRO).  Since I want speed and accuracy for my type of competitions, what do you guys recommend????   Right now the Aimpoint ML3 and Trijicon TA31F are at the top of my list, money is not an issue.  THANKS for the replies.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If you plan on doing most of your shooting within 100 yards I would say stick with the Aimpoint. You can acquire the targets quicker as your field of view is smaller with the 4X power of the ACOG. You should be able to get damm good accuracy with the 4MOA Aimpoint within that range. The ACOG is great for precise shooting and identifying targets at longer ranges.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe you can demo one of each and see what you like. I got the Aimpoint ML2 and can't decide if I want the ACOG.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
On second thought, since you said money is not an issue; you could buy a second complete upper and set one up for each.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to have to agree with Full-Auto. If your shooting primarly at 100 yards or less it's hard to beat an Aimpoint or Eotech.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,

i have changed from an ACOG TA-31F to the Aimpoint M3 and 3x magnifier combo on a Samson quick flip.
For me it´s the better solution. The most time i shoot 100m (109yards) and sometimes 300m (328 yards) and IPSC (close range).  The dot of the M3 is very crisp.  In addition i had problems with the BAC of the ACOG.
Now i can change rapidly between CQB and medium to long range shooting applications.

In my opinion the ACOG´s are overestimated.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everybody for the responses, very helpful!!  I'm going do some more research on the Aimpoint 3X magnifier, never considered that, that would help at slightly longer ranges when switching from CQB stuff.  Cheers..
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks everybody for the responses, very helpful!!  I'm going do some more research on the Aimpoint 3X magnifier, never considered that, that would help at slightly longer ranges when switching from CQB stuff.  Cheers.. hr

Hello again,

read these 2 threads:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=235964

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=238404

Greetings from Germany!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks everybody for the responses, very helpful!!  I'm going do some more research on the Aimpoint 3X magnifier, never considered that, that would help at slightly longer ranges when switching from CQB stuff.  Cheers..

Hello again,

read these 2 threads:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=235964

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=238404

Greetings from Germany!!

Guten Tag!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is my 2 cents...

I've had a Ta-31, Ta-31F, and currently have a Ta-31A. (Triangle).   My current "main carbine" has an Aimpoint M3 on it that replaced an EoTech.  

For what you describe, it would be hard to beat an Aimpoint or Eo.  I like 'em both, like the Aimpoint better for simple controls and better battery life.  The forthcoming Eo looks awesome though, still has those push button controls that I was glad to get away from.

Of the ACOG's, the "F" model would be my absolute last choice.  While it is precise it was way too fine of a reticle for me.  I love my "A" as it has a big, thick reticle that is easy to find with your eyes and still has a precise aiming point.  I liked the doughnut too, but for me the "A" is better.

I do not have the magnifyer for my Aimpoint but it sounds like a good idea.  I believe somebody sells a mount that flips it out of the way or in front of the optic and that seems like it would be worth checking out if I was going that way.  

Good luck, not a bad choice in the bunch, you might as well Get Both as you will end up with them anyway!  dg
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am an ex-military guy shooting civilian combat courses for fun.  We do shoot houses, and combat town stuff out to about 100 yards.  I am getting ready to buy some optics for my Bushmaster XM-15 with A3 upper.  I've spent two evenings pouring over the AR15.com forums and looked at hundreds of reticle pics (Thanks FRO).  Since I want speed and accuracy for my type of competitions, what do you guys recommend????   Right now the Aimpoint ML3 and Trijicon TA31F are at the top of my list, . money is not an issue THANKS for the replies.  

get both!

honestly you would have to try it out and see what is to your best liking.

i have no problems getting my aimpoint out to 100yds but my ta31s' do a better job at it and i have no problems with it at closer ranges. that being said my aimpoint is really fast up close
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am new to ACOG sights and need a little advice please.  I have a Trijicon TA31F on the way and have a LaRue Tactical mount to place on top of my Bushmaster XM-15 with A-3 upper.  This AR-15 has the conventional iron front sight.  Will the TA31F sight picture be obstructed by the iron sights when I install it on top of the A3 receiver and LaRue Tactical mount or do I need to buy a new upper receiver without front sights to get a clean picture??  THANKS  

If its on the way you made your choice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am new to ACOG sights and need a little advice please.  I have a Trijicon TA31F on the way and have a LaRue Tactical mount to place on top of my Bushmaster XM-15 with A-3 upper.  This AR-15 has the conventional iron front sight.  Will the TA31F sight picture be obstructed by the iron sights when I install it on top of the A3 receiver and LaRue Tactical mount or do I need to buy a new upper receiver without front sights to get a clean picture??  THANKS  

If its on the way you made your choice.

alwaystryin,
     You are correct sir....   I jumped the gun on the order but fortunately I caught SWFA before they shipped the TA31F and G&T before they shipped the LaRue ACOG tactical.  I ended up getting the Aimpoint ML3 and Larue Aimpoint Tactical.  I'll get the 3X Magnifier if the need arises.  Thanks for all of the info everybody, great forum!!  My next question is will an Aimpoint 3X magnifier and ML3 fit on a standard A3 rail (SAMSON Mounts)  without having to get a rail system??  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, noob here, what are the differences in all the Aimpoint identifiers?  I used the M2 in the 3rd ID, and I haven't heard of the M3, or the ML3 and all these others...can someone give me a quick run-down on the differences?
Thanks.

D
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:51:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok, noob here, what are the differences in all the Aimpoint identifiers?  I used the M2 in the 3rd ID, and I haven't heard of the M3, or the ML3 and all these others...can someone give me a quick run-down on the differences?
Thanks.

D

the m3 is just an upgraded m2 now with the option of a 2moa reddot.

additions are an ungodly battery life of like 50k and think water resistant to a deeper extent and some others.

google/search aimpoint and check it out
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:02:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Money no issue.....? Get the Schmidt & Bender 'Short Dot' aka 1.1-4x20mm CQB PM II. Aimpoint bright dot, NV compatible, front-focal reticle and S&B clarity. Strap it to a Larue SPR-EER and away you go.

MSRP for the scope is $2249.(!!!!) I'm waiting on one......

Of course you'll be wanting to pimp the rifle to match after that.

Simon
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top