Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2003 8:19:34 PM EDT
I was taking off my collapsible stock and putting on the regular stock that my ar-15 came with.  While depressing the recoil spring, a little spring jumped out from either the lower receiver or the stock.  it is very thin and about 1 1/2 inches long.  Anyone have any ideas where this little guy came from?

Thanks,
Wes
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the detent spring for the rear take down pin on the lower receiver. It goes in the back of the lower receiver between the stock and the receiver. Be careful not to put a kink in it as you install the stock.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That's your safety detent spring.  The collapsible buttstock's "plate" (what the castle nut was tightened against) held it in, & will now be held in by the fixed stock.  Look in the aft end of your lower receiver & you'll see a small hole.  (Make sure the safety detent is also still in there; it'll be a very small bronze-colored cylinder-shaped gizmo that will appear to be slightly "sharpened" at each end.)
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I found where it was supposed to go in and put it back in there.  What purpose does that spring serve anyway?

Thanks a lot.

Wes
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, does the safety detent go in before or after the spring.....?

Thanks

Wes
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's your safety detent spring.
View Quote

The safety detent spring is held in place by the pistol grip, not the buttstock. It's the detent spring for the rear take down pin. The detent goes in before the spring.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the help.  This board is great!

One more question though:
Is the stock supposed to have a little wiggle to it after it is installed?

Thanks

Wes
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I found where it was supposed to go in and put it back in there.  What purpose does that spring serve anyway?

Thanks a lot.

Wes
View Quote

The spring keeps tension on the detent. The detent keeps the take down pin from coming out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help.  This board is great!

One more question though:
Is the stock supposed to have a little wiggle to it after it is installed?

Thanks

Wes
View Quote

Tighten the screw as much as you can. You may get very slight movement, don't worry too much about it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to everyone who helped me.  I was trying to figure out how to do all this stuff myself so I wouldn't have to pay people to do it for me.  You all have been a huge help.

Wes
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's your safety detent spring.
View Quote

The safety detent spring is held in place by the pistol grip, not the buttstock. It's the detent spring for the rear take down pin. The detent goes in before the spring.
View Quote

You are absolutely right, sir; I stand corrected.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top