Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:15:27 AM EST
Wow. That was so amusing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:16:31 AM EST
IT’S A ( STUPID THREAD )TRAP!!!

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:25:43 AM EST
IBTL +1
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:37:47 AM EST
Heat gun... Hah!
Believe it or not.... Sorry for the highjack, but herte in Canada our gun registration program is soo fucked up that some guy out west was actuallu able to register his Weller soldering gun...
He was issued an offical registration certificate with all thwe pertinant info.
It appeared in all teh papers and ended up as another embarrassing episode for our idiotic firearms legislation... The gov't conciderede charging the guy criminally, but in the end gave up.

This page was printed from the O.F.A.H. website ( www.ofah.org )

Gun, what gun?
Author: N/A
Source: Canadian Press March 21, 2002

Manitoba man who registered soldering gun as a protest could get jail time
OAK LAKE, Man. (CP) - A man who successfully registered his soldering gun as a firearm says he did so to point out the absurdity of the federal gun registry program. But Brian Buckley's act of civil disobedience may create more problems than he bargained for.

Government officials aren't happy and, according to the Criminal Code, he could go to jail for up to five years. , who has a possession-only firearms licence, said he got a form to register his guns in the mail around Christmas time.

By law, all firearms must be registered by Jan. 1, 2003. However, Canadians have not been quick to comply and that forced Ottawa to waive registration fees last October in an attempt to get more guns listed.

Buckley, who is an autobody shop owner, said he is opposed to the new gun laws and calls the registration process a waste of time and money.

So he decided to play with the system.

"I just filled it in,'' he said. "I put my Black & Decker heat gun and my Weller soldering gun on there, didn't stamp it, and sent it back in.''

He listed the "guns'' as a non-restricted firearm, the same as most shotguns or hunting rifles. In the spot asking for the gun's make, he filled out Black & Decker/Weller. In the spot for type, he put heat gun/soldering gun.

When the registration card came back a few weeks later, Buckley couldn't believe his eyes.

"It never once occurred to me that it would be taken seriously and that I would get a certificate and be issued a registration number,'' said. "It never crossed my mind that they are that incompetent there.''

David Austin, a spokesman for the Canadian Firearms Centre, was not laughing when he heard about the protest.

Austin said what Buckley did was provide false information to procure a registration and that is against the law.

He may have filled out the application with the correct information about the tools, but neither are firearms and that in itself is a violation.

"It's a serious matter,'' Austin said. "If he looks at it very carefully, he will see there is a requirement to provide accurate information on a registration form for a firearm.''

Austin said that when non-restricted gun registrations come in, they are not verified by a real person right away. The forms are scanned into the national data base of guns and certificates are sent out as soon as possible to avoid a backlog.

Each registration is verified by someone eventually, Austin said, and Buckley's would have been caught.

"You've got to understand that millions of these things are coming in at one time and it will take a while to go back,'' Austin said. "But we will go back.''

If convicted of providing false information to get a gun registration certificate, an individual faces anything from a $2,000 fine and six months in jail to five years behind bars.

Austin said officials at the gun registry contacted him Wednesday to begin an investigation, but not much was said.

"The question is for what purpose do you do this?'' Austin said. "It's just going to end up costing the taxpayers more money while we straighten it out.''

Inky Mark, member of Parliament, for Dauphin-Swan River supports and put out a media release about the licence.

"I would say he's made his point,'' Mark said. "He's shown how the system doesn't function.''

Mark said registering a soldering gun may not be a security risk, but it certainly is a mark against a system designed to protect Canadians.

"The whole premise of registration is safety,'' Mark said. "If the premise is safety, then there should be little room for error.''

Articles posted on media watch may not always reflect the policies or positions of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters. Please direct questions or comments to O.F.A.H. Communications Liaison Mark Cousins at ofah@ofah.org
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:43:01 AM EST
If he uses it in the city, he'll probably be jailed for discharging it in city limits.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:44:25 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:50:11 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:57:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 7:58:46 AM EST by StykUrHedUp]

Originally Posted By wedge1082:
IT’S A ( STUPID THREAD )TRAP!!!
img28.exs.cx/img28/4176/ackbar-trap1.jpg

INCONCEIVABLE!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:30:01 PM EST

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:04:10 PM EST
IBTL Bitches!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:46:48 PM EST