Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2007 7:27:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2007 7:29:21 PM EDT by myitinaw]
Retro-Gents,

I was a huge fan of this show, and I recently picked up
a copy of all 9 episodes newly released on DVD.
A great series that is most retro AR friendly.

Just a polite heads-up if you've never seen them...

HBOs Vietnam War Story
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2007 9:03:43 PM EDT by 45Bravo]
Is there any footage with Walter Cronkite available on DVD? Was he the host of the series with all of the combat footage? Does anyone else remember the series I'm talking about?

ETA: Maybe it was the PBS Timeline that I was thinking about?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:03:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 45Bravo:
Is there any footage with Walter Cronkite available on DVD? Was he the host of the series with all of the combat footage? Does anyone else remember the series I'm talking about?

He's talking about the fictional tv show that ran on HBO when Vietnam War movies were big in the 80's. You're talking about CBS news' Vietnam War with Walter Cronkite series which was news footage of the actual war. That is also on dvd, it originally came out on VHS way back then.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:06:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 45Bravo:

ETA: Maybe it was the PBS Timeline that I was thinking about?

I remember that from when I was like 14, it was pretty good:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009KU95/sr/ref=pd_cp_d_1/103-8033583-0462200?ie=UTF8&qid=1186889214&sr=8-1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0QWF9QNJYG4JSNG7JGHT&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=252362301&pf_rd_i=B000O76TI6

I've never seen that HBO one, but it looks like it's worth checking.

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 11:35:43 PM EDT
I remember watching that show on late night TV back when i was in Jr high school. About the same time CBS had "tour of duty" filming in Hawaii which gave me a really good reason to be home on Thursday nights.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:01:49 AM EDT
I didn't have HBO growing up so I didn't even know it existed. Thanks, I will deffinately get a copy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:23:34 AM EDT
It was a pretty good series. I may have to check it out again.

RLTW
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:09:32 PM EDT
I already watched the Tour of Duty series and it was pretty good. I am going to have to buy or rent this. I still can't get the theme music out of my head for ToD. It really takes me back to when I was a teenager, and seeing the war on the 6 o'clock news. No different now I guess. My parents didn't let me watch the news when I was younger, because there was so much violence on the newscasts - often live if I remember correctly. You'd be watching a morning patrol getting mortared while eating dinner. Remember when the NFL put mikes on the field for a few games for the sound of reality? Same but worse. If I'm wrong about this, I was just a youngster - born in '61, so what do I know? I 'carried' a Mattel Marauder all through Vietnam! My parents didn't like that much either...

I have to say, Walter Kronkite was not just the voice of that war, but of a generation. I'd like to see not just this, but his history of the VN war series. IMO we wouldn't have as much footage as we have if it wasn't for him and people like him. I just wish journalists today had the grace, good taste and common sense Kronkite had. Sorry if I got OT.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:43:14 PM EDT
The music in the HBO series is excellent.

It is an absolute shame that Tour of Duty's music
was completely neutered in the DVD releases..

Top Top