Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 7:50:29 PM EDT
does anyone know how much weight difference there is between an HBAr 16" upper and a Regular 16" upper? They will both be an A2 setup an also i was wondering how much of a gain in accuracy you would get with HBAR. The rifle is for a girl, thus i have to take note of the weight.Thanks alot
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a 16" then I would assume its more of a CQB rifle set up then shooting distance.  I would stay away from the heavy barrels due to the add on's will increase the weight so why add more weight then needed with the heavy barrel.  I see alot of guys in my carbine classes with HBARS and they realize it was a mistake and should of went with a regular barrel after adding free float rails, optics and lights.

Holding onto a heavy barrel for the entire class for many days does wake up those hard headed guys who thought that they needed it for accuracy.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
There are lot more barrel profiles (and corresponding weights) than just two.  If this carbine is for a girl, go with the lightweight barrel profile because it will be the most comfortable to shoot offhand.

ETA: Check the Del-Ton link for an assortment of uppers with different barrel profiles.  Flattop upper is lighter than an A2 and gives you more options for optics.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I run an HBAR in my carbine 14.5/phantom.Its only 5 ounces more then the soccom mid weight barrel.It takes the heat better and balances good for me.Im not an accesorie whore just an Eotech and a sure fire M73 with tango down grip.One things for sure it doesnt feel as heavy as did with the fore grip..its a more natural shooting stance for me with the foregrip.

What you can do and ive thoght about this is to have the barrel fluted under the handguards..decreases the weight,adds more surface area cooling quicker and you dont lose rigid ness.Ive alwys liked HBARs for their real use..taking the heat while remaining stiff..less barrel flex so shots stay consistent during rapid fire and barrel heating.

I have a lightweight and M4 profile.Without fluting id say my second choice is M4 profile,its a good compromise.Light weight is too light I think but its my wifes and she wanted the lightest possible rifle.HBARs are no more accurate than any other chrome lined barrel the groups just dont open up when it gets real hot the way lighter barrels do.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what the weight difference is, but it is definitely noticeable. I have at times indeed thought it was a mistake getting a 16" HBAR. The lighter barrels are quick handling, but for quick follow up shots I find the HBAR doesn't have as much flip. My Oly HBAR is a tack driver and as the round count rises the heat doesn't shift the point of impact as much as it would on a lite weight barrel. So would I trade my HBAR in on a lite profile barrel. Hell no! Will I be building a quick handling lite weight rig, hell yes! If the girl you are shopping for is going to keep a reasonable rate of sustained fire, I Would definitely suggest going with a lite weight barrel. Don't get me wrong here, but anyone can appreciate the weight savings, even more so of those that don't have a lot of upper body strength. What kind of shooting does she plan on doing?  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I've read the gov't is about a half pound lighter than the HBAR, and the LW is about a third pound lighter than the gov't.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Bushmaster's website under FAQ has barrel weights
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Barrel length_________Heavy Barrels________ Fluted Barrels

10"_________________2.0_________________1.9
11.5"_______________ 2.2_________________2.0
11.5/5.5"____________ 2.6_________________2.5
14.5"_______________ 2.5_________________2.2
14.5"AK_____________2.7_________________2.4
14.5"MY_____________2.7_________________2.4
14.5"AM (phantom)____2.7_________________2.4
14.5"IZ______________2.7_________________2.4
16"_________________2.7_________________2.3
16" Dissipator________ 3.0_________________2.6
20"_________________3.5_________________3.0
24"_________________3.9_________________3.1
26"_________________4.0_________________3.2

Military Style Barrels

14.5"M4_____________2.0
14.5"M4AK__________ 2.2
14.5"M4MY__________ 2.2
14.5"M4AM (phantom)_ 2.2
14.5"M4IZ____________2.2
16"M4 Dissipator______2.3
16" Superlight________ 1.9
16"M4_______________2.2
20"A2 (govt profile)_____2.5
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#8]
HBARs feel like something has gone terribly, terribly wrong in my hands.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#9]
There is no accuracy advantage for using an HBAR barrel, especially if you are considering a chrome lined or other mass produced barrel.

The .5lbs of weight saved are certainly advantages when trying to shoulder the weapon and fire it while standing.  Look for a  light weight profile barrel if you are wanting your daughter, girl or lady friend to enjoy shooting.

I personally use Noveske light weight profile barrels.  In the past I have used both Colt and Bushmaster light weight profile barrels.

~Heidi
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#10]
yea at the 16" size  you should get the lighter profile. i have 14.5w/YHM brake pencil barrel and my brother has a 16 BULL barrel. his has noticeably less recoil but is very uncomfortable to haul around.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my fluted 20" HBAR.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you have a 16" then I would assume its more of a CQB rifle set up then shooting distance.

I regularly shoot 450 yards with a 16", even an 11.5" and can make hits.

There are plenty of reports of kills out to 300 yards with the 10.3"

I would say the optic used (if any) would be more of a deciding factor on long range performance of a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I find that the balance is "off" using the HBAR.  Its not the  weight of the gun, its the weight being up front.  Doesn't have the natural "point" that I find with regular/lightweight barrels.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I know it's not a Cold HB but I have a RRA the wilson HB, KAS RAS system, Surefire M96X, CQD VFG, GG&G heavy bipid and ACOG TA31RCOM4.  All my co-workers think it's a heavy bitch but I used to carry/use a M249 for the majority of my previous 6yrs and regularly put it to use in CQB settings.  I'm not sure where this barrel weighs in with the others, but to me it's comfortable and that's what its all about in the end.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top