Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2003 3:58:35 AM EDT
I've got a 14.5" Bushmaster HBAR on an A2 receiver, free-floated with a #51 SIR.

It is noticeably heavier than my 14.5" M4, so I'm considering sending it to Kurt and having him A2 profile it under the handguard.

What do you guys think .... should I leave it as is or thin it out to A2 profile?

Thanks! .... Chris
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
thin is in.

Heavy barrels are for machine guns and bench-rest shooters.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
thin is in.

View Quote

I hear ya, and thanks for the reply! .... Chris
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Just MHO...from another Chris [;)]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
thin is in.

View Quote

Wimp.

Oh my, little girly man cant handle a 10 lb rifle. Oh dear!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
thin is in.

View Quote

Wimp.

View Quote

Still trying to convince people you're a man Hawkeye?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thin is in.

View Quote

Wimp.

View Quote

View Quote

Nope. Dont have to. Its pretty obvious since I dont have to carry a little lightweight girly gun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thin is in.

View Quote

Wimp.

View Quote

View Quote

Nope. Dont have to. Its prety obviouse sense I dont have to carry a little lightweight girly gun.
View Quote

OK Mr. German Tactical Tupperwear.

Buy a real 45 for the love of God.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thin is in.

View Quote

Wimp.

View Quote

View Quote

Nope. Dont have to. Its prety obviouse sense I dont have to carry a little lightweight girly gun.
View Quote

View Quote

[lolabove]
Whatever. [:|]

Oh, and I may like TB's, but at least I dont SLEEP with one. [shock]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thin is in.

View Quote

Wimp.

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

[lolabove]
Whatever. [:|]

Oh, and I may like TB's, but at least I dont SLEEP with one. [shock]
View Quote

Hey .... HEY!!!

Either keep the noise down, or take that shit outside!

Chris
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I am sold on the so called medium profile barrels.  I am having a 16" Bush H-bar cut down to 14.5" with a permanent flash suppresser and having it turned down to 0.850" under the handguards.  The M4 is  0.640" under the handguards and the H-Bar barrel is 0.98"-1.02".  I figure splitting the difference still gives you enough mass to handle the heat and takes off enough to make it nicer to carry.  I had an 18" match barrel turned down this way and it is a lot nicer to carry in the field but did not loose any of it's accuracy.  It does not shift POI like some of my thinner barreled rifles do when they get warm.  Just my $0.02.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am sold on the so called medium profile barrels.  I am having a 16" Bush H-bar cut down to 14.5" with a permanent flash suppresser and having it turned down to 0.850" under the handguards.  The M4 is  0.640" under the handguards and the H-Bar barrel is 0.98"-1.02".  I figure splitting the difference still gives you enough mass to handle the heat and takes off enough to make it nicer to carry.  I had an 18" match barrel turned down this way and it is a lot nicer to carry in the field but did not loose any of it's accuracy.  It does not shift POI like some of my thinner barreled rifles do when they get warm.  Just my $0.02.

IDHunt
View Quote

Some interesting points you make about barrel heating.

I figure that with my SIR I can get away with the thinner profile.

It would suck BAD to have it tapered down, then figure that it's too thin.

Thanks for the reply .... Chris
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I had my 16" Hbar turned to .75" all the way to the chamber.  There was no noticable loss of accuracy anf no noticable heating problems.

BTW if you are worried about weight there are many ff rails out there lighter than the SIR.  I use a Daniel Deffense ff rail.  It only weighs a couple of onces more than the parts it replaces.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had my 16" Hbar turned to .75" all the way to the chamber.  There was no noticable loss of accuracy anf no noticable heating problems.

BTW if you are worried about weight there are many ff rails out there lighter than the SIR.  I use a Daniel Deffense ff rail.  It only weighs a couple of onces more than the parts it replaces.
View Quote

I wouldn't say I'm "worried" about the weight.

I exercise on company-time five days a week, and one day on the weekend, so I'm physically fit enough to handle the weight.

But if my M4 can put rounds downrange without the extra barrel width, then the HBAR is going to get thinned down!

Chris
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#14]
The length of my 20" HBAR doesn't bother me too much. Outside of making it lighter, what other effects would fluting have?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
It's suposed to give you greater cooling capacity by increasing the area of the outside of the barrel.  Then there is always the "coolness" factor of having an AR that is different than everyone elses.  Personally, I'd spend my money on ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Get that bad boy fluted.  
1.  Lighter
2.  Faster cooling due to more surface area
3.  Looks
4.  Accuracy (according to bushmaster)
5.  B/C I said so!  [smoke]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:27:28 AM EDT
[#17]
It appears the jury is back with a verdict...fluting, it is. Does Kurt's flute the whole barrel? Under the handguards, etc.?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Just another thing besides heat to consider that I didn't see anybody mention, a lighter barrel will have more muzzle rise between shots than a heavier barrel withe same type of muzzle device.

If you are running iron sights or a red dot, you may not notice it much; but if you are running an ACOG where the jump is magnified 3.5x or 4x then you notice it more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I'ld have to go with either fluting or what ID hunt said.

.85in is really thick enough. Even .75 (but not .625 that gov't profile is just way too light under the handguards unless your use is limited to less than 90 rounds at a time.  Removeing .13-.23in from the outside will have a dramatic effect on weight.  The most weight difference comes from removing metal from the outside of a circular metal part.

Maybe you could taper it under handguards and flute forward of the gas block.

[b]I like to keep weight to a minimum as I want to buy a heavy 20-24oz sound suppressor and dont want the gun to be overly heavy I just fluted my 16in  Dissipator meaning the barrel and suppressor will way approx 65.6oz or 4.1 lbs that's getting heavy. essspecially with most of the weight out front[/b]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top