Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/1/2006 1:26:13 PM EDT
Has anyone gotten the SG M855 on clips? I am curious how good/bad it really is. Other M855 I have seen has been of poor quality.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought two cases, 1800 rds, from Sportsman's Guide, but I have not shot any yet. Mine came on stripers in the cardboard packs, no bandoliers. It looked really good, no dents or dings, WCC 05 headstamped. Green tipped. I put it up to save for a rainey day. It was advertised as win M855. If I shoot any anytime soon I will post results.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought some also just last week.  It appears to be in good shape, but have not shot any yet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Allright you guys are really confusing me.  Alot of people here say that us civilians can not get M885, then you guys say that you purchased M885.  Also Ammoman claims to be selling M885.  So whats the truth and whats not?  I understand that the US doesn't surplus any of its ammo anymore because of clinton and that all the ammo arsenals are bogged down with government contracts.  SO is the stuff that sportsman guide and ammoman selling stuff that wasn't part of a contract order?

Thanks for clearing it all up.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Allright you guys are really confusing me.  Alot of people here say that us civilians can not get M885, then you guys say that you purchased M885.  Also Ammoman claims to be selling M885.  So whats the truth and whats not?  I understand that the US doesn't surplus any of its ammo anymore because of clinton and that all the ammo arsenals are bogged down with government contracts.  SO is the stuff that sportsman guide and ammoman selling stuff that wasn't part of a contract order?

Thanks for clearing it all up.  

Perhaps they are military rejects for some reason or another?  

I have other theories too:  Factory seconds, production over runs, stolen ammo, re-manufactured ammo, or WWB with the tips painted green to jack up the price

I really don't know if that stuff is the real deal, but it could be like many other things that are supposed to be civilian restricted.  I am not supposed to be able to purchase law enforcement ammunition, yet I can.  Certain AR-15s and handguns are supposed to be for military and law enforcement use only, yet I can easily obtain them provided they are not NFA weapons.  I could easily see where some distributor may have procured these M885 rounds for "law enforcement" use, then sold them to various dealers who, in turn, put this ammunition on the civilian market.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#5]
bump
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
i bought a can from ammoman.

the stuff seems to me to be top quality.  packaged on stripper clips in bandoliers.  WWC/NATO headstamps.  no dings, dents but some of the green tips show signs of wearing off/chipping which may be the result of re-packaging or excessive handling, or it can be totally normal.  this is the first and only M855 i've purchased.  my can was unmarked and part of the labeling on the bandoliers was marked out with a black magic marker.    the can did come sealed with the LC tag.

with other dealers offering the same, i tend to believe that it is truly 1st quality.  i just don't how it came to the civi market.  then again.....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i bought a can from ammoman.

the stuff seems to me to be top quality.  packaged on stripper clips in bandoliers.  WWC/NATO headstamps.  no dings, dents but some of the green tips show signs of wearing off/chipping which may be the result of re-packaging or excessive handling, or it can be totally normal.  this is the first and only M855 i've purchased.  my can was unmarked and part of the labeling on the bandoliers was marked out with a black magic marker.    the can did come sealed with the LC tag.

with other dealers offering the same, i tend to believe that it is truly 1st quality.  i just don't how it came to the civi market.  then again.....

I bought the exact same ammo.  I also was wondering what was marked out with the black marker.  I haven't shot any yet.  I have just got done shooting some XM855PD from AIM that was really good.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought AMMOMANS Lake City M855 !!

Great Stuff!!

Whats to get all up tight About?

Be lucky that you can buy it!

Back in 2001 everyone wanted Lake City

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I buy a LOT of ammo from the Sprotsmans GUide.

The stuff on stripper clips is British Radway Arsenal loaded to Ss109 spec. It is I understand slightly slower than the US M855. I have yet to chronograph it, but threi catalog suspiciously says they don't know the speed of it. That being said, I have bought a case locally and it is just fine ammo. Good plinking stuff.

SG also sells the Lake City Arsenal M855 ammo in loose bulk boxes, wtih the member's discount it is a pretty good price and is my preferred ammo source. This is ammo from lots rejected by the inspectors for one reason or another. At LC, they pull ammo from the line every so often and if it is not up to standards, the whole lot gets pulled. This is how it ends up being marked as M855PD or other variants. I heave read that different  reject lots get graded differently, that is grade #2 to grade #4, the really bad stuff. Again, that being said, I have bought and shot thousands of rounds of this stuff and have had no malfucntions. You do need to sort the ammo as you load looking for badly dented casings, deformed bullets or improper bullet seating. I think that i cull about 10 rounds per 1000.

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Nevermind - found the answer
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#11]
viahg, just a thought, what might have been marked out was a reference to tracers. I think some of it on  the strippers and in bandoliers had a tracer every so many rounds and they pulled them out. The stuff I got from SG looked new with no dents or dings, WCC 05 headstamped, on stippers and in the cardboard pockets. They had the green tips and were advertised as WIN M855. NOT PD.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I've gone through about 300 rounds w/ no problems.  Mine is stamped WCC 04 and has the NATO cross.  Nice looking stuff that my middy likes to eat.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't doubt that its 1st class LC M885, I just want to know how it's available for civilian sale because there are all these other threads going on that say civillians can't get a hold of 1st class M885.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
The only reason a civi couldn't get steel core ammo is if it were imported.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Then how do yoiu explain Radway Green, Santa Barbra or Olympic SS109? These are all imported steel-core SS109 type bullets. SS109 and M2 were specifically exempted from the AP restriction by the BATF and are as legal as M193. Its not illegal for civilians to buy brand new M855, it just isn't sold. Just like Winchester/Federal/Hornady/Remington LE ammo, which isn't illegal its just restricted. You can buy Winchester M855 in thier Ranger line, though its expensive. True M855 exists if you are willing to look for it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Ammoman is a real bottom feeder, ripped a guy off for $375....

Screwed by AMMOMAN.COM aka Discount Distributors
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I live like 30 minutes away from him so I stop buy and pick it up myself.  I don't know how good I would feel about ordering a used gun online with a no return policy but I guess Erik is a scum bag if he lied like that.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#18]
There are a lot of folks here that think Eric the Ammoman is god.  I have bought ammo from him before and everything is great till you have a problem and require customer service and then his real colors become evident.

There are to many good places to buy from to put up with him.  Sorry you got screwed, but $375 seems a bit much for an SKS to me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Sorry for the continued hi-jack here, but......

If he IS a bottom feeder your a fucking putz for side-tracking this M855 ammo discussion.

I'd be willing to bet (base on your join date vs the date of your link) that YOU, jackass have never had any dealing with Eric at all, and yet you feel like HI-JACKING this thread into another "let's bash Ammoman some more thread"

What other purpose does your comment and link above serve?

Your a fucking

Mike
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for the continued hi-jack here, but......

If he IS a bottom feeder your a fucking putz for side-tracking this M855 ammo discussion.

I'd be willing to bet (base on your join date vs the date of your link) that YOU, jackass have never had any dealing with Eric at all, and yet you feel like HI-JACKING this thread into another "let's bash Ammoman some more thread"

What other purpose does your comment and link above serve?

Your a fucking

Mike

MR.WILSON   A BIG PLUS ONE!! THANK YOU

ERIC MADE BILLONS OF DEALS!!  and IF one deal goes wrong   everyone DOWNS HIM?  PLZ

BTW  Got a EMAIL FROM ERIC Boy he is selling  lots of ammo! Im almost done with my M193 WOLF so I will have to order more from Eric !

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Staying on topic the Sportsmans Guide M-855 is boxed Winchester. It seems to be excellent ammo. I got 2000 from them & 1000 from Cougar Ridge. Eric's LC 855 on strippers performs about the same also excellent ammo.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Win M855
LC M855

All is good
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top