Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2009 5:23:29 AM EDT
Prior to being introduced to the world of the AR I was a pistol and shotgun guy.  A while back I started using a product called gunzilla for my cleaning.  It works great on a pistol or shotgun.  Once you use it a few times it will cut your cleaning time down drastically.  I was wondering if anyone had used this on an AR and how it worked or if it was safe.  I assume that it is because they sell to a lot of goverment agencies that use AR's but it is better to be safe than sorry!
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Was there a question or is this an ad?

Link to product specs?

BSW
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Link to product specs?

BSW

not an add.  i have nothing to do with gunzilla or any gun shops that sell it.  i sell insurance for a living.  my question is whether or not it is ok for use in the AR.  the reason i said all of the things that i like about the product is because i figured that everyone would chime in with "just use (insert your favorite product)".  the product site is HERE.  they say you can use it on anything from a hand gun to a cannon but i was hoping that someone had tried it already!
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Link to product specs?

BSW

that was an ad

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to product specs?

BSW

that was an ad

still not an ad.  I really was hoping someone would have experience with the product in the AR platform.  I only put what I like about it and why I thought it would be fine so that I wouldn't have to hear people tell me to just use the same old thing because someone else told them it was a good idea when they started.  I will try it out myself.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#5]
If it didn't hurt your handguns or shotguns, it wont hurt your AR.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
seems to be good to go.  i used it to lube everything before taking it to the range.  i only put about 50 rounds down range to sight in iron sights and red dot (a little plinking but I don't have the patience or desire to do much bench shooting).
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice long post on Michigan Gun Owners about this product.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40308

Enjoy,
Jeff
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a bottle to try it out. works ok as a bore cleaner. a little thin as a lube. smells good when you first get it on,but after a few days starts smelling funny.I think the smell is due to the use of the plant oils.

It really did not do anything special compared to any other oil.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#9]
you have to use it for a few cleanings in my experience.  it will eventually make clean up much quicker (it builds up a layer that resists build up or something) and it seems to get better and better as a lube the more times you use it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice long post on Michigan Gun Owners about this product.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40308

Enjoy,
Jeff

thanks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to product specs?

BSW

that was an ad

still not an ad.  I really was hoping someone would have experience with the product in the AR platform.  I only put what I like about it and why I thought it would be fine so that I wouldn't have to hear people tell me to just use the same old thing because someone else told them it was a good idea when they started.  I will try it out myself.

I posted a topic about Gunzilla and apprently it got removed pretty quickly. I said I wasn't on their payroll, I was just vouching for the product, it works that well.

First saw a Wildlife Ranger in MS use it to break free a choke tube on a 391 that had never been removed, I thought I was watching a magic show. Bought some and now I use it on every gun. In particular, since I started using it on my Walther P22, malfunctions have really been reduced. It sucks that it's hard to come by, but whatever.

Really shocked that people would accuse this stuff of being an ad without even looking into it or asking for other OPs. Maybe the Man doesn't like a little company like that getting their crumbs from the table.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 2:34:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to product specs?

BSW

that was an ad

I posted a topic about Gunzilla and apprently it got removed pretty quickly. I said I wasn't on their payroll, I was just vouching for the product, it works that well.

First saw a Wildlife Ranger in MS use it to break free a choke tube on a 391 that had never been removed, I thought I was watching a magic show. Bought some and now I use it on every gun. In particular, since I started using it on my Walther P22, malfunctions have really been reduced. It sucks that it's hard to come by, but whatever.

Really shocked that people would accuse this stuff of being an ad without even looking into it or asking for other OPs. Maybe the Man doesn't like a little company like that getting their crumbs from the table.

BULL FUCKING SHIT!!!!your advertising that bullshit product . militec is to cheap to buy ad space here? tells a lot about your bullshit product!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#13]

BULL FUCKING SHIT!!!!your advertising that bullshit product . militec is to cheap to buy ad space here? tells a lot about your bullshit product!!![/quote]

Friend, I am an unemployed. I am a recent graduate who is SOL and has a tough future thanks to all of those great Blue States. The only reason why I have been posting more recently is because now I have a lot more time to waste in forums.

Have you used the product? I seriously doubt it.
I'm just offering an opinion.
I've tried a lot of products, just telling my experience with this one.

And who is Militec? Gunzilla is made by some company called Top Duck Products.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
well since my original post I have used it and everything is working great.  if you want to be a dbag and call bs then so be it.  the only thing i sell is insurance.  im nothing but a fan and you can go eff yourself if you think otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I can tell you this.  The Sheriff Department in Michigan (where I am employed) tasked me with research "environmentally friendly" cleaning possibilities.  I do NOT work for the company and I believe it is extremely expensive to utilize.  While working on this, I made DIRECT contact with two end users.  One of them being the Michigan State Police Tac Team Commander and the Other being the Border Patrol Head Firearms Trainer.  

MSP states:  Went to tac team competition with MP5's.  Took ONLY 2 guns and one of the two was cleaned standard Hoppes  and then oiled in accordance with HK and the other cleaned/lubed (one stop shop type product).  Allegedly the shooting time was split between all members and the Gunzilla gun ran the smoothest without failure and the Hoppes gun had hickups toward the end.

Border Patrol advised me, he started using it on his muzzle loader personally.  From there began experimenting with it on the BP M4's.  Failure rates on the range was allegedly greatly improved.  When I asked what type of controlled testing was conducted, he laughed and said if he don't stop to make em' run, then it works better!  He further explained the wear time on the firearms has NOT seemed to change, but the malfunctions between part replacement had reduced drastically.  To that he added, "You really gotta keep using it for yourself to believe it."

Two of our Range Instructors went to Tennessee for a LE Carbine Instructor class.  One used Breakfree the other used Gunzilla.  I prepared the guns for them.  They were both newer Bushmasters 16" carbines with the same number of rounds through them +/- 10%.  Prior to them leaving with guns, they were cleaned with break cleaner and then the appropriate lubricant applied to each gun (UNDERSTAND, I WAS NOT "one stop shop guy).  My goal was to prove them wrong.  

Per the Instructors, they shot about 800-1,000 each and NEITHER gun had ANY malfunctions, but both agreed the gun cleaned each day with Gunzilla was significantly easier to remove the carbon from.  

This is not an endorsement and I STILL believe the product is over priced, I also believe it works well.  Does it work well enough to switch from other working methods, that is up to each of us to decide on our own.  If you want a product that is environmentally sound, it is one of the only true options.  I personally have NOT switched yet...old habits die hard.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, I can tell you this.  The Sheriff Department in Michigan (where I am employed) tasked me with research "environmentally friendly" cleaning possibilities.  I do NOT work for the company and I believe it is extremely expensive to utilize.  While working on this, I made DIRECT contact with two end users.  One of them being the Michigan State Police Tac Team Commander and the Other being the Border Patrol Head Firearms Trainer.  

MSP states:  Went to tac team competition with MP5's.  Took ONLY 2 guns and one of the two was cleaned standard Hoppes  and then oiled in accordance with HK and the other cleaned/lubed (one stop shop type product).  Allegedly the shooting time was split between all members and the Gunzilla gun ran the smoothest without failure and the Hoppes gun had hickups toward the end.

Border Patrol advised me, he started using it on his muzzle loader personally.  From there began experimenting with it on the BP M4's.  Failure rates on the range was allegedly greatly improved.  When I asked what type of controlled testing was conducted, he laughed and said if he don't stop to make em' run, then it works better!  He further explained the wear time on the firearms has NOT seemed to change, but the malfunctions between part replacement had reduced drastically.  To that he added, "You really gotta keep using it for yourself to believe it."

Two of our Range Instructors went to Tennessee for a LE Carbine Instructor class.  One used Breakfree the other used Gunzilla.  I prepared the guns for them.  They were both newer Bushmasters 16" carbines with the same number of rounds through them +/- 10%.  Prior to them leaving with guns, they were cleaned with break cleaner and then the appropriate lubricant applied to each gun (UNDERSTAND, I WAS NOT "one stop shop guy).  My goal was to prove them wrong.  

Per the Instructors, they shot about 800-1,000 each and NEITHER gun had ANY malfunctions, but both agreed the gun cleaned each day with Gunzilla was significantly easier to remove the carbon from.  

This is not an endorsement and I STILL believe the product is over priced, I also believe it works well.  Does it work well enough to switch from other working methods, that is up to each of us to decide on our own.  If you want a product that is environmentally sound, it is one of the only true options.  I personally have NOT switched yet...old habits die hard.

more advertising
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#17]
It was not advertising and if someone wants to contact me reference this information, I am available at the following:

Lt. Martin C. Kurtz IV
Berrien County Sheriff Department
919 Port Street
Saint Joseph, Michigan 49085
Desk Phone 269-983-7141, ext. 4921

I am out of the office until Oct. 5th.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top