Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2003 3:45:17 PM EDT
I have a couple of 30 rd G.I. magazines that I want to re-finish. Is it a good idea to Gunkote or MolyResin coat them? Have anyone done that before? How durable will the finish hold up? Thanks, M4C
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:43:36 PM EDT
I use flat gray Gun-Kote from www.kgcoatings.com. I order it on-line. I have had very good results with it. I have only refinished 20-round mags. I remove the base plate and leave the spring and follower inside. If I cannot remove the base plate, because of dents, I push the follower’s rear down into the mag until it jams at an angle; this allows enough room for airbrushing. Then I place the mags in a large coffee can; any container will pretty much work. Upside down if base plate is removed; right side up if base plate cannot be removed. Then I spray Citrus Solvent (www.realmilkpaint.com/citrus.html) on the mags inside and out, and put the lid on the container. I let this sit overnight. Citrus Solvent dissolves old grease, powder, and finish. The next day, I place the mags in my dishwasher and wash using regular dishwashing detergent. I wash twice to make certain all the Citrus Cleaner is removed. I let them air dry while still hot, after I sling the left over water out of each mag. Make sure you wash your hands before touching mags to minimize oil transfer from your hand. Once dry, I place them back into the container for coating and baking with Gun-Kote. I use a cheap airbrush that I bought from Harbor Freight (www.harborfreight.com); I wait for the sale on them. These work fine for me. If I screw up the airbrush, I have only lost $10. I coat the inside and outside of each mag, after warming with a hot air gun. I coat the removed base plates with satin black Gun-Kote. I then bake them at the required temp and time. I reassemble the mags, and dunk in my homemade cleaner/lube mixture (www.makarov.com/tech.html at the bottom of the page). This gets oil onto the spring and other areas to prevent rusting and corrosion where Gun-Kote may not have been sprayed completely. I dry in the sun, and wipe of excess from the mag’s outside. If you are looking for other homemade stuff, look here: http://home.sprynet.com/~frfrog/homemade.htm. Gun-Kote is very durable and easy to use, if you have an airbrush. I have also found a place that sells great epoxy paint, DuraCoat, (hard as nails), but I have not used it on mags, only to paint my fiberglass M14 stock: www.lauerweaponry.com/ezac/index.asp?page=00016. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:10:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By M4Commando: I have a couple of 30 rd G.I. magazines that I want to re-finish. Is it a good idea to Gunkote or MolyResin coat them? Have anyone done that before? How durable will the finish hold up? Thanks, M4C
View Quote
I have some done with Teflon, Moly Resign, and Gunkote. I like the slickness and appearence of the Teflon, but John Norrel did a hell of a job with the Moly Resign. The Gunkote myself I did not like so I had the Mags re-done with Teflon. I guess I am partial with Teflon since I have three DPMS AR's.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:04:08 PM EDT
Did you sand blasted the mag before spraying Gunkote/MolyResin? Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:29:54 AM EDT
I did not sandblast. The dishwashing detergent has a bit of lye in it which does about the same thing as sandblasting (pitting surface), but not as much. I wash mags throught two cycles: first with dishwashing detergent, the second with just water to make certain all detergent is gone. I only touch mags with a clean, white towel or clean latex gloved to keep any oil from redepositing on the mag.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:46:33 PM EDT
I had Mac's GunKote my SIG P226 mags when they did my P226 and he did a great job. Some of my mags were just bare metal that started to rust and now I can't tell them apart from the ones that had a good finish. It's not the most durable finish, but it covered very cleanly and is very corrosion resistant.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:06:41 PM EDT
Do not sandblast! It will remove the anodizing(sp?) I've used Kgguncoat and duracoat as well...Kg is closer to the factory finish but duracoat is far more durable..............UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:01:55 AM EDT
Thanks guys! Usually how many coats do you spray on the magazine? Someone told me one coat of MolyResin is enough but other said at least 3 coats. I will do it this weekend and I will let you guys know how it turned out. Thanks
Top Top