Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/30/2006 12:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 12:08:26 PM EDT by JackalAR]
Got a 10-gun Sentry safe from Wally World yesterday. (BTW, did you know you could call them up with a serial and get the combo? Real nice huh...took all of a minute with serial number so peel those bitches off.)

Anyway, it's a simple little cheapo 180lb. safe but it's better than what I had and alright for apartment use so...

I read somewhere around here about weather stripping them and adding a $25 gadget from Wally World to dehumidify the interior. I also read something about when you add a light, it does just as good if you leave it on all the time. Well, I'm wanting to add some upgrades, hooks in the door and the sort...and was wondering if any of you had "been there done that" yet. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:20:58 PM EDT
Buy a goldenrod from midwayusa.com and install it in the bottom of the safe. It creates heat and zaps humidity. I'm sure you can get something from Wally's, but I prefer to not give them my money.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:43:27 PM EDT
I hear that...unfortunately I have a soft spot for cheapo ammunition and gun safes. Goldenrod, that what it was...but it seems like some guys said a simple light bulb does a better job...??? Do these just prop up in the corner or something? It's a pretty small safe. Would anyone else locally carry one? If I buy from midway, I have to pay tax AND shipping. Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:46:05 PM EDT
I use a golden rod in my safe as well. One thing though: you don't want it to be airtight by using weather stripping. You want the warm air to force the moisture out through the door jam.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:49:53 PM EDT
Ahhhh...I wondered that...I knew I didn't want to weatherstrip BEFORE dehumidifier, now I know I don't want to at all.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:48:00 PM EDT
I'd stay away from goldenrods, too much trouble having to run a power line to the safe AND it'll prevent an airtight seal on the door which would otherwise be a good thing. You'd also need to either drill a hole in the safe for the goldenrod or punch out the plug if it comes prepped for one. Either way, you are compromising the integrity of the safe and reducing its fire protection. If that goldenrod stops working for some reason, it'll be the rust that lets you know.

Buy a silica gel cannister, they're available from various sources or Brownells and they just sit in the safe and absorb all the moisture in the air. They last forever, all you need do is bake the whole cannister in the oven once every 4-6 months to get rid of the moisture it absorbed. No AC power necessary and then you can weatherstrip the door for added protection.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 2:46:13 PM EDT by JackalAR]
Thanks guys. The safe is pre punched in 3 places with grommets for anchoring or running a light / Goldenrod that are carpeted over. Since this is the case, would it still make sense to weatherstrip? The safe came with two large sacks of sillica gel stuff which I left in there...the beads are a very faint yellow. Will these be sufficient for such a small safe in a place where humidity isn't much of an issue? Problem is, how do you bake them dry?
Top Top