Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2012 10:25:14 AM EDT
Just My Opinion on on the Gun Guard All Weather Series From .....Plano.

This is a Great "Hard Case" for the Price....

SASS....

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree.  Love mine.  Only downside is the pluck foam which I am not a fan of due to the flimsy-ness of it.  I'm gonna try and find some closed-cell to replace it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Waste of money IMO. All that shit he is so worried about caring around weighs as much as the weapon . Scope, red dot, tactical light, bi pods, sling, kitchen sink Unless your getting deployed or traveling on a regular basis, that's the only time you'll need to haul all of that extra crap. Lets be honest are you going to mount all of that shit on your weapon one day out at the range... answer no. When you go to train you equip accordingly............ tactical light, please .

Link Posted: 1/13/2012 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I agree.  Love mine.  Only downside is the pluck foam which I am not a fan of due to the flimsy-ness of it.  I'm gonna try and find some closed-cell to replace it.

Glad to hear it....if you do find the CC foam...let me know....might be interested as well...

SASS

Link Posted: 1/13/2012 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Waste of money IMO. All that shit he is so worried about caring around weighs as much as the weapon . Scope, red dot, tactical light, bi pods, sling, kitchen sink Unless your getting deployed or traveling on a regular basis, that's the only time you'll need to haul all of that extra crap. Lets be honest are you going to mount all of that shit on your weapon one day out at the range... answer no. When you go to train you equip accordingly............ tactical light, please .

Really....actually the answer is YES...

I do take all of it to the range to practice in different configurations....that way I am prepared for the what ever situation I would find my self in....

I find that to be a sound premiss and it has worked so far....

SASS

Link Posted: 1/13/2012 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do take all of it to the range to practice in different configurations....that way I am prepared for the what ever situation I would find my self in....
SASS

Your going through CQB drills room to room in the dark with your tactical light? Impressive

Hey if works for you, and you have the time and resources to get all that training in on a single trip out more power to you.

Link Posted: 1/26/2012 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SASS

Your going through CQB drills room to room in the dark with your tactical light? Impressive

Hey if works for you, and you have the time and resources to get all that training in on a single trip out more power to you.

Now that wasn't nice....

but I do spend several hours at the range "when" I get to go....

Given my Range is a 40 min drive...and my Truck drinks gas like a Sailor Drinks Beer... and my finances are limited...

I don't get there as often as I like...so I spend 6 to 8 hours there...and shoot everything but the Kitchen Sink.... that I own...

SASS

Link Posted: 1/26/2012 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one of these at a recent gun show for $50...helluva deal considering Midway sells them for $110ish.  I'm waiting on my lower to get here before I start plucking....but so far I'm obviously making a cutout for the rifle and spots for at least 4 magazines.  I have the 36" version so space will be a premium once I get the rifle in there.  But for $50 I couldn't pass it up.  He had another one there, too...shoulda bought both

EDIT After watching your video, I feel better about the room I will have once I get a complete rifle in there.  Thanks for the video
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased one from the local Walmart for about $40 today. I like it so far but not really a big fan of the pick n pluck foam that they use. Yes it is easier to get your case set up how you want but as mentioned earlier it is really flimsy. I would much rather change it out for a piece of closed cell foam. Another thing that I don't really like is that my foam seems to pull out when I remove my AR. A little spray adhesive would probably solve that though. All in all a good case for $40 in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I purchased one from the local Walmart for about $40 today. I like it so far but not really a big fan of the pick n pluck foam that they use. Yes it is easier to get your case set up how you want but as mentioned earlier it is really flimsy. I would much rather change it out for a piece of closed cell foam. Another thing that I don't really like is that my foam seems to pull out when I remove my AR. A little spray adhesive would probably solve that though. All in all a good case for $40 in my opinion.

$40?!  Really?  A Plano Gun Guard?  Is it the 36" model?

My recommendation would be to pluck an extra piece or two out in the areas where it's tight.  That would probably prevent the AR from grabbing on the foam
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My recommendation would be to pluck an extra piece or two out in the areas where it's tight.  That would probably prevent the AR from grabbing on the foam

Yep $40. Plano Gun Guard 36" model with the pick and pluck foam. The price tag on the shelf was $39.86 if I remember correctly. There was only one of them left in the local Walmart and I snagged it up seeing as I needed another case.

I thought about plucking out a few extra pieces but I'm anal about how stuff looks lol. I like how snugly my rifle fits in it so I don't really want to make it too lose where the rifle can move in the case. I'm going to pick up a can of adhesive spray from the hardware store and I think that will fix it how I want it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep $40. Plano Gun Guard 36" model with the pick and pluck foam. The price tag on the shelf was $39.86 if I remember correctly. There was only one of them left in the local Walmart and I snagged it up seeing as I needed another case.

I thought about plucking out a few extra pieces but I'm anal about how stuff looks lol. I like how snugly my rifle fits in it so I don't really want to make it too lose where the rifle can move in the case. I'm going to pick up a can of adhesive spray from the hardware store and I think that will fix it how I want it.

Nice!  Sounds like you got an awesome deal.  I will have to look at my WM to see if they sell them...really doubt they do but it's worth a look.  

Post back if you find a good spray to use for the foam.  I've tried some 'foam glue' before and didn't have very good results.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!  Sounds like you got an awesome deal.  I will have to look at my WM to see if they sell them...really doubt they do but it's worth a look.  

Post back if you find a good spray to use for the foam.  I've tried some 'foam glue' before and didn't have very good results.  

I was actually able to pick up a can of spray adhesive today. The adhesive that I got was the 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive. It actually works really well. I found it at Ace Hardware and it was about $10 for a can.

Here's the steps on how I did it.

1) Remove pick and pluck foam sheet from case.
2) Remove bottom eggshell foam sheet and flip over so that the egg crate side is facing the bottom of the case. Place it back in the case. This will allow the pick and pluck sheet to have more surface area contact to the bottom layer and it also looks better in my opinion.
3) Spray the side of the pick and pluck sheet that will contact the bottom sheet of foam. Wait about 15 seconds for the adhesive to get tacky before putting the sheet back in the case. If you want to you can spray it and then put it back in the case as soon as you finish and this will give you a little extra time to get your case arranged how you like before the adhesive sticks too bad.
4) You will want to put a little pressure on the foam to make sure it sticks to the other piece of foam.

If you have any edges that pull up along the outline of the rifle or any accessories that you have in the case, just lift the edge up and spray a little more and hold it down for about 30 seconds so the adhesive can get a good stick.

I do not really recommend trying to glue the foam outside of the case as you might get it off center and it won't fit right in the case.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I snapped a couple of pics of how I have my case set up just in case anybody wanted to set there's up in a similar way.

Here's the case empty.

Here it is with everything that I have for my AR in it. The magazine cutout for the 30 round Pmags will hold five magazines. The cutout for the 30 round steel magazines will hold 5 mags as well. You can also see a cutout for a 20 round Pmag in the bottom left corner. There's enough room there to do another slot for an extra 20 round mag. By the looks of it I even have enough room left in the case to make a cut out for a red dot sight like an EOTech or an Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I snapped a couple of pics of how I have my case set up just in case anybody wanted to set there's up in a similar way.

Here's the case empty.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/camoman33935/IMAG0414.jpg

Here it is with everything that I have for my AR in it. The magazine cutout for the 30 round Pmags will hold five magazines. The cutout for the 30 round steel magazines will hold 5 mags as well. You can also see a cutout for a 20 round Pmag in the bottom left corner. There's enough room there to do another slot for an extra 20 round mag. By the looks of it I even have enough room left in the case to make a cut out for a red dot sight like an EOTech or an Aimpoint.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/camoman33935/IMAG0417.jpg

The only downside I can see to your setup is that your rifle is high enough in the case that you won't be able to make space for a mounted optic.  I have six of these cases and found they are just large enough if you move the weapon all the way down - two squares lower than you have it.

On the other hand, the way you've done it allows for more magazine storage.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Here's the case empty.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/camoman33935/IMAG0414.jpg

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/camoman33935/IMAG0417.jpg

The only downside I can see to your setup is that your rifle is high enough in the case that you won't be able to make space for a mounted optic. I have six of these cases and found they are just large enough if you move the weapon all the way down - two squares lower than you have it.

On the other hand, the way you've done it allows for more magazine storage.

Yeah I really was not considering making enough room for an optic to be mounted on the rifle while in the case as I do not really have the funds available for one. I set the case up for the accessories I have right now (magazines). I would rather have room for a ton of magazines than a non-existent optic lol. The way it sits, I have enough material that is able to be removed for about four to five more 30 round magazines depending on what kind they are (Pmags vs Steel) and at least one more 20 round Pmag.

I didn't feel a need to make slots for ammo like some people like to do. That's what I have magazines and ammo cans for lol.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Walmart was blowing these out at $30 right after Thanksgiving.  Out of five stores, I only found one case, but my brother found two more for me.  

I couldn't resist just throwing this together after I got it:

Now the gun's completely different, so I need to change it up.  I haven't touched the other two yet.  I've got another carbine and a middy that'll go into those.

Tip:  After pickin' & pluckin', flip your foam over.  It's smoother on the bottom side.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn...sounds like I need to spend the day driving to various WalMarts to find these....$30 is a steal!  I thought I had a deal at $50!
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn...sounds like I need to spend the day driving to various WalMarts to find these....$30 is a steal!  I thought I had a deal at $50!

$30 was a great deal but that was probably part of Walmarts Black Friday sale. If you find one you could expect to pay between $30 and $40 for one.

Link Posted: 1/29/2012 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$30 was a great deal but that was probably part of Walmarts Black Friday sale. If you find one you could expect to pay between $30 and $40 for one.

Correct, $30 was only for Black Friday. They now retail for $39 and change. (if you can find them)

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, $30 was only for Black Friday. They now retail for $39 and change. (if you can find them)
You both are correct...it was a BF sale, or weekend more to the point....and then after a week they went up to 39 and change...but for the most part from what I got from Plano...they do run about 100+ range...so anyone who got one from Wally world...got a hell of a deal...as did I....

My WM only got 9 of them in....so they went real fast when people found out how much they "normally" cost...

On customizing it...I used a Model knife to cut the out line of my rifle and accessories then Plucked it...I have a good tight fit...but I did have to Glue some pieces back in after the fact... to make sure my optics had enough padding....

Great Pics and posts guys...My Thanks..

SASS...

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Figured I should post mine.

I was dumb and used a marker to draw my outline...kinda shows in some spots.  I should have placed my items out backwards so I could flip the foam pad over and have things laid out the way I want without seeing the marker outline.  Oh well.  Maybe next time.

I'm still jealous of you guys who found these for $30!

This layout leaves me some room for additional magazines if I decide I want them.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I guess I should add one of mine from the vid... since you guys have been so kind to show yours...

My Thanks again....

SASS

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I was dumb and used a marker to draw my outline...kinda shows in some spots.  I should have placed my items out backwards so I could flip the foam pad over and have things laid out the way I want without seeing the marker outline.  Oh well.  Maybe next time.

This layout leaves me some room for additional magazines if I decide I want them.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/jomal206/932183a0.jpg

Not dumb at all my friend...what ever works for you is the best way..I always say....Nice set up...as with the rest.

If you look hard..you can see were I glued the foam back in... so don't beat yourself up over a few lines...IT WORKED.....Right.

That is the "Art" of Customization....

SASS

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/jomal206/932183a0.jpg

Not dumb at all my friend...what ever works for you is the best way..I always say....Nice set up...as with the rest.
If you look hard..you can see were I glued the foam back in... so don't beat yourself up over a few lines...IT WORKED.....Right.
That is the "Art" of Customization....
SASS  

Cheers, my friend!  
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#27]
don't think our Walmart carries any gun stuff

these are going for over $100 on Amazon I think
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top