Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2007 10:20:47 PM EDT
Happy New Year fellow black rifle lovers.
As per my subject, has anyone ever used GunButter? Either on your AR or any other firearm? LMK.
Here is the link to their website ------------------------------>       www.gunbutter.com/index.htm

Glock_Meister
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I posted the same topic here a while ago, most responses were to use CLP.  I bought some though and it is pricey.  I saw  that MSTN also endorses it AFTER things are broken in a bit.  Only have a few hundred rnds through my new ar and have been using clp, but once every thing starts to wear together a bit I'll probably give it a try.  It is supposed to not attract dirt, dust, fouling, whatever, as much so cleaning it should be easier. let us know if you try it, and how it works.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I use GunButter on my pistols... works great!
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I posted the same topic here a while ago, most responses were to use CLP.  

Must have been more then 30 days ago then. I try to always search my topics before I post them to make sure I don't waste anyones time. That is the only draw back to only being able to search back 30 days if your just a member. Also, I posted this laste, I might have typed it in different or wrong? Whoops.

Anyhow, Thanks for the reply. The stuff I currently use is Gun Sav'r. Think it is a CLP also.  Have been using it for about 3 years now and no problems and it to works great.

Just curious about this Gun Butter stiff as to the claims of not attracting dust,sand and dirt.

Glock_Meister
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#4]
anybody know how well it works in the cold (-10or so) temps?
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#5]
For the same price as .66oz of GB, you can get 16oz of Weapon Shield that is good down to around -60F.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#6]
It's made by the same people that make boy butter...
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I am trying it.  Seems to work well, and stays in place well, and lasts longer on hot parts then breakfree CLP.

Stuff seems rather nice, but I think when this is used up, I will go back to CLP.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:

Boy butter? Are you sure you didn't mean Joy Jelly? lmao JK

G-Meister
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

G-Meister

Heh sorry I'll bow to your obvious expertise in the matter...
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
I am trying it.  Seems to work well, and stays in place well, and lasts longer on hot parts then breakfree CLP.

Stuff seems rather nice, but I think when this is used up, I will go back to CLP.

Just curious, did you clean the firearm/s your using it on with brake cleaner/carb cleaner before using the Gun Butter as their website suggests?
Thanks for the replies...

G_Meister
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
I bought some though and it is pricey.  I saw  that MSTN also endorses it AFTER things are broken in a bit.  Only have a few hundred rnds through my new ar and have been using clp, but once every thing starts to wear together a bit I'll probably give it a try.  It is supposed to not attract dirt, dust, fouling, whatever, as much so cleaning it should be easier. let us know if you try it, and how it works.hances
Why don't you give it a try, since you have it already, rather then wait and see if I get it to be the guinea pig? lol  If not, I am seriously thinking of getting it and by all means if and when I do I will be more then happy to post my opinions about the stuff.

G_Meister
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

G-Meister

Heh sorry I'll bow to your obvious expertise in the matter... having
G_Meister
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just curious, did you clean the firearm/s your using it on with brake cleaner/carb cleaner before using the Gun Butter as their website suggests?
Thanks for the replies...

G_Meister

Gunscrubber yes, Gunbutter cleans off easily and stays in place well, but it is not worth the additional cost of CLP for me,
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, the cost is a drawback. Add a few bucks more for the non-lubricant cleaner (unless you already have some) to clean the firearm before applying the Gun Butter. I know I said I'm seriously thinking of trying it. I still might. I'm going to post this same question on a couple other forums and I'll make my final decision based on all the replies.

Even if the replies on those other gun forums are good, the thing that truly keeps coming to mind is, if it isn't broke don't fix it, in other words, if what I'm using now works fine, why change it...

G_Meister
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I started using Gunbutter a few months ago and I love it for lubrication purposes.  The only place that I use it is on the moving parts and inside the receiver.  I still use CLP for everything else.

In my own testing, I have noticed that carbon fouling is decreased significantly and wear is also decreased significantly.  The stuff just doesn't seem to come off even when the bcg is heated up after long periods of firing.  It also doesn't gum up like some lubricants since carbone and dirt do not dissolve in the mixture like they do with CLP.  One of these days, I'll get around to doing a rust test.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Why don't you give it a try, since you have it already, rather then wait and see if I get it to be the guinea pig? lol  If not, I am seriously thinking of getting it and by all means if and when I do I will be more then happy to post my opinions about the stuff.

G_Meister

I haven't tried it yet because of what I have read on other websites, saying that they recomend a CLP (or the likes of) to let things wear together and smooth out the new parts. That's the only reason it hasn't been run through my AR yet.  But am very anxious to try it, maybe those other sites are just trying to sell more, different products as well though? Also trying to find some little foam brush/q-tip thingy's to make applying it on surfaces a bit easier.

teggy1
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#17]

G_Meister
trying to find some little foam brush/q-tip thingy's to make applying it on surfaces a bit easier.

teggy1

Hit the makeup section at your local drugstore.  I'm sure the checkout guy at the local Walgreens thinks I'm a cross dresser.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:

Hit the makeup section at your local drugstore.  I'm sure the checkout guy at the local Walgreens thinks I'm a cross dresser.

HUH???lmao

G_Meister
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Fixed the quote to reflect the question asked, lol!
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I started using Gunbutter a few months ago and I love it for lubrication purposes.  The only place that I use it is on the moving parts and inside the receiver.  I still use CLP for everything else.

In my own testing, I have noticed that carbon fouling is decreased significantly and wear is also decreased significantly.  The stuff just doesn't seem to come off even when the bcg is heated up after long periods of firing.  It also doesn't gum up like some lubricants since carbone and dirt do not dissolve in the mixture like they do with CLP.  One of these days, I'll get around to doing a rust test.

My results have been the same as yours. Very good product. All I can say is try it out. I think you will be suprised at how well it lubricates and stays in one place. The Gun Butter Grease is also a damn good product on slide rails, (especially sigs).
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8

G_Meister
trying to find some little foam brush/q-tip thingy's to make applying it on surfaces a bit easier.

teggy1

thanks G_miester we'll do, hope I don't get the same reputation as you!ETA:oops! I mean brucers99.
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I have some Gun Butter and some Gun Butter Grease that I have gotten around to trying out yet.  I am putting a Dissipator upper together, just got the barrel today, so that may be a good test.  I will clean the barrel really well with bore foam and brake cleaner then apply a coating of Gun Butter using a patch.

Any other detailed application (firearm related only) instructions will be appreciated.

R/
Mike
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a couple free samples from MSTN that I have been using on my 1911s and ARs. I like it as well as anything but I cannot yet confirm some of the claims. It does seem to stick around rather well; on my 1911s it's staying power is very noticeable. I simply haven't used it enough to be really sold on it yet; or as I have stated been able to observer some of the other claimed benefits.
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Application Instructions

And if you follow those, large parts of your gun will not be protected from corrosion.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Application Instructions

And if you follow those, large parts of your gun will not be protected from corrosion.

From that page:

Rust protection for 100% relative humidity in excess of two years, no rust.

Gun Butter will function in freezing weather and not evaporate or dry out with extreme heat and tends to repel dust and dirt.

Although I don't think anyone here has done anything to substantiate that.  You guys want me to run a corrosion test on it?
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#27]
exactly.  I have lloked at the instructions and the claim, but they basically say to strip off all other lubes by cleaning with brake cleaner then to only use a "monolayer" in specific areas.  I have Gun Butter and Gun Butter Grease, but I have not used it yet, I thought some more detailed instructions would have come with the kit.  I am glad I am not the only one.
I am going to clean as usual and hit the bore and moving parts with the product.  I do not have race guns or am I on a team where my weapons are handled every day.  I need to know that when I do go back in the safe nothing will be rusted.
Geez, this can't be rocket science.  I am emailing a link to this thread to Gun Butter, maybe they will chime in ...

R/
Mike
VA Beach

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Application Instructions

From that page:

Gun Butter will function in freezing weather and not evaporate or dry out with extreme heat and tends to repel dust and dirt.

Although I don't think anyone here has done anything to substantiate that.  You guys want me to run a corrosion test on it?
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Application Instructions

From that page:

They only tell you to put it on in certain areas after telling you to degrease the entire gun first.  The areas not covered in their instructions are open to corrosion.

I would love to see a corrosion test of this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#29]
My bet would be that it is badly written instructions.  My method was to degrease the BCG and then use an acetone coated q-tip on the inside of the receiver.  I then coated all "cleaned" areas with Gunbutter and left CLP on the rest of the rifle.  My guess is that the gunbutter needs to be the primary/only lubricant on the contact surfaces since it is one of those bonded lubricants which adhere to the metal on a molecular level.  Putting gunbutter on top of CLP or another lubricant would negate its use.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I dont think its intended use is to take the place of a CLP such as Breakfree or to wipe down your entire rifle with it. I know I don't use it that way. I'll be damned if I'm going to wipe my gun completely down with it. Thats alot of GunButter. The way I use it is I lube the carrier, bolt lugs, rings, cam pin and trigger components with it. The bore gets KG4 and the rest will get BF CLP.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Bronc you lube the rings with gun butter. Isn't that stuff a little thick, and might collect more carbon than CLP. I guess it might protect against friction wear. How does the inside of the bolt carrier look when you clean it up, and does it decrease wear.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#32]
ive used it for a couple years.
i really like the needlish applicator.

i use it on my ciener .22 conversion bolt and also for my carry weapon.
due to dust and lint i try to run my carry weapon as dry as possible.. so i can effective apply gun butter exactly only on wear spots and it stays..
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Gunbutter is fine for a lube "just started using it, and like it alot" sofar it's the best stuff I've used and I've used ALOT in my 23 years of old age *15 years of which spent shooting and customizing* . When shooting my ARs with either 5.56 or self loaded hot burning rounds it stays firm in place and doesn't cook off like the others I've tried before hand. I also don't find as much baked on crud on the carrier or on the back of the bolts on the Ar's so that helps speed up cleaning ALOT.  But the downside is it's not meant for protection, so for that nothing beats the rust and corrosion protection of Eezox "atleast from what I've used". Wearing Eezox alot of my crap lasted through the gun safes sweating and damp 120heat for the 5 weeks without power after the damn hurricane katrina. I had mosquitos building apartment houses out of the damn receivers of some of the stuff that was not locked up like my 10/22s but luckily they were aluminum and took little damage other than a few wooden stocks.

So in short: CLP and EEzox are great for cleaning and rust prevention but gun butter lubes alot better and really last alot longer. I also find it makes my cleaning take a little less work...I might try Gun butter grease on my recoil springs to kinda take the roughness out and quiet them down abit. Performs good on 1911's aswell also would like to try the grease version on the 1911's aswell!
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I would like to see a corrosion test done, if any body's up to it. I can't really, only get home on the weekends.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I contacted Mark Turney at Gun Butter and he asked me to look at the directions and FAQs.  He also gave me his number if there are any specific questions.  Seems like a very nice guy.  I can't wait to start using the stuff.  
I stated my confusion was about completely degreasing then only using a little Gun Butter.

R/
Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been using Gun Butter for two years on all my handguns.  It is the best lube I have ever used, and that includes most of them.  It stays in place longer, lasts longer, and seem to reduce friction more (try wracking a slide on a 1911 with your favorite lube, then try it with Gun Butter--I bet you notice a difference).  And, fwiw, no teflon.

As far as a rust inhibitor, it is supposed to be good, but I have never seen it compared to others.  I would guess it would work well as a protectant because it seems to stick to the metal so well.  But, I would love to see some actual data from a test.  If someone has the time to run a rust test, I'll supply the Gun Butter.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#37]

I contacted Mark Turney at Gun Butter

Ask him what the base oil is a what he uses for Anti-wear or Extreme pressure additives.  There is NO useful info on their site + no MSDS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#38]
After some more emails, I will be speaking with Mark this week on the phone.  I guess anyone is free to call him since his contact information is on the web site.  I am concerned about how to use the product, not what is in it.  I will take notes and then post the information.  My weapons sit for a long time, get taken out shot a lot, cleaned, and back in the safe.  I live in VA Beach, so my climate ranges from hot and humid to cold and wet.  These are the parameters I will discuss.
If you need a MSDS I am sure he will produce it upon request, as far as the formulation, that may be proprietary.

More later

R/
Mike
VA Beach
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
After some more emails, I will be speaking with Mark this week on the phone.  I guess anyone is free to call him since his contact information is on the web site.  I am concerned about how to use the product, not what is in it.  I will take notes and then post the information.  My weapons sit for a long time, get taken out shot a lot, cleaned, and back in the safe.  I live in VA Beach, so my climate ranges from hot and humid to cold and wet.  These are the parameters I will discuss.
If you need a MSDS I am sure he will produce it upon request, as far as the formulation, that may be proprietary.

More later

R/
Mike
VA Beach

to reply to one of the previous messages posted above:

I doubt they'd give you the formula or tell you what the base oil is, that'd be suicidal to their company.

to bmyk:

I do know from first hand use that it can be used in various weather conditions and can sit a long time, then work like new... Some of my guns will sit for months or years, then when used they shoot great. While my higher rotation guns Like AR or 1911 that get used various hours per week will keep going strong. I have not tested fully how long it'll last in an AR before cleaning though, since I clean my AR's every 600-800 rounds "which seems like a good number for cleaning to me". On my 10/22s with standard/factory charging handle rods "those dirty gritty feeling bastards" they run alot smoother almost like [b]butter   .

I only wish they sold the gun butter in larger than 2/3 needle bottles... it goes fast when using on multiple guns...A 2-4 oz squirt bottle would be nice..
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#40]
this place has some links about gunbutter:

www.chemical-supermarket.com/product.php?productid=310

and for the record, NO it does NOT taste like butter
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I was able to find this independent test being done, still testing and I also email them asking if  they'd also test or consider testing gun butter. Have yet to get a reply,not sure I will but I plan on bookmarking the link and will continue to watch the list.

Might I suggest taking a look at it. Read how they conducting this test and with what.

Link>http:http://www.accuratereloading.com/rustest.htmlwww.accuratereloading.com/rustest.html
Remember, this is strictly a rust preventative test.

G_Meister
I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6!
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok, Mark at Gun Butter sent me this link and it is pretty good.  Since I have the Gun Butter already, I just need to some applicators.  I also soaked a patch and ran it down my new barrel.  After 140 rounds of Wolf, it is clean after one patch .....I'm Happy.

MSTN Link
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Since you are in with them, please see if they will send you an MSDS that you can post here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Why don't you ask yourself?  Mark Turney.... [email protected]

Quoted:
Since you are in with them, please see if they will send you an MSDS that you can post here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
this place has some links about gunbutter:

www.chemical-supermarket.com/product.php?productid=310

and for the record, NO it does NOT taste like butter

Great. Now you tell me.

First the margarine companies, and now "Gun Butter".
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I e-mailed mark about the cold weather properties and told him to log on and talk to us, that we would appreciate it, his reply:

I apologize for not writing in the forums. I cannot write without
information seeming like and enforcement, add, or sales pitch.

I am responding to your request with words from a great gunsmith from your
State. I hope this helps you.

Gun Butter is what every gun has on it when it leaves my shop. I did a
freeze test with a 40B before I started to carry and sell it, I degreased
the gun completely then lubed it with Gun Butter and placed it in our deep
freezer, about 5 days later I remembered it and took it out with a magazine
all loaded up and went outside to the farm field accost the street and fired
the full magazine of 12 rounds in rapid fire, not a single hint of it being
frozen other then my cold hand. The gun iced up pretty fast with it being a
hot humid day but it functioned just like a gun that was the same ambient
temperature. I then took a bottle of Gun Butter and placed it in the deep
freezer, took it out the next day and it was no thicker. Being a total
synthetic blend, developed by Boeing Aircraft Engineering Design Team who
are competitive shooters and had access to some of the leading edge
components they started formulating and about 6 years later finally got the
lube to where they wanted it. They did not plan to sell it. The creation was
inspired to help Mark’s protégé to obtain another championship. They shared
it Lisa Munson, a local hero of theirs and other shooters having function
trouble, try it at matches. They showed the prototype to Todd Jarrett while
they were all practicing in between the USPSA Open and Limited National
Championships. Todd asked, “Can I buy this, can I have this, is this mine?
Since then, sharing with other competitors and friends they were continually
encouraged to produce the product.

Jim
Miossi Gun Works LLC
702 Park Dr
Monticello, IA 52310

http://www.miossigunworks.com/
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#47]

I then took a bottle of Gun Butter and placed it in the deep
freezer, took it out the next day and it was no thicker.

BS.  All oil, synthetic or not, gets thicker as the temperature goes down.

Nothing impressive there.  I know a Lube Engineer that has a grease that will do the same thing.  Tested and used by his gunsmith.  Hell, syn motor oil has pour points down into the -40s and -50sF.

Why don't you ask yourself? Mark Turney.... [email protected]

I think I will.  Thanks for the E-mail.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 4:27:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Todd Jarrett 1000 rounds 45acp in 10 minutes

After watching the above link, I am a believer in Gun Butter.  During the preparations, Todd applies Gun Butter to the Para which is about to fire 1000 rounds in 10 minutes. (This video also shows how to bump fire a 1911 )
I also used on my new Dissipator upper last weekend and a new (range gun purchase) Glock 19.  I could not be happier with the results.   I also used a little on a dirty revolver and it melted away the carbon and crud from shooting hundreds of Bullseye powered reloads.
Go Team Gun Butter.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Ok, I'm going to start the test up this weekend.  Here is the methodology, please critique as needed:

1.  I'm going to use new, parkerized stripper clips as the testing medium.

2.  Degrease with acetone and then non-chlorinated carb cleaner.

3.  Gunbutter, Machine Gun Lube and breakfree CLP will be brushed onto each stripper clip with a small brush (the way that I apply lube).

4.  2 Gunbutter, 2 Breakfree CLP, 2 Machine Gunners Lube, 2 Control

5.  I am going to try to get an approximation of seawater going using sea salt and distilled water.  (If anybody has a formula for this, it will save me some time).

6.  If somebody has a delivery device for the seawater, let me know.  I am thinking of using a spray bottle, but I'm worried that I may not be able to regulate the sprays to insure that each clip gets the same amount.  I could also do an immersion test.

7.  Picutres will be taken once a day at 8:00 pm.  Test will take place indoors since it is pretty cold outside.  If I don't do an immersion test, I will be placing the clips into a sealed rubbermaid type container to keep the humidity levels up.

Thoughts?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top