I’ll start by stating why I bought my first AR15 – cause it’s cool, home protection(shtf scenario), kritter killer(I hate ground hogs), something to do/tinker with, basically bored with the pistols and bolt actions. I plan on taking it to the range a couple of times a month, and suspect that I’ll shoot a few hundred rounds per visit. Also, I’d like to stockpile several thousand rounds(just in case). I’d really appreciate some guidance on what ammo to purchase and what to avoid. One note, my barrel has 1:7 twist. I apologize in advance if this topic is a repeat, and please forgive my newbishness.
I’d be thankful to all who can help with the following:
1. What brands, and grains are preferred? For plinking vs for home defense/shtf
2. What should be avoided?
3. What to watch out for when purchasing over the net or at gun shows? How can I tell how old the ammo is?
4. I read that there is a potential shortage of .223 amo, is this true?
5. What are the safety concerns when purchasing bulk ammo?
6. Are there long term storage concerns?
I would first suggest that you read the ammo-oracle Then post any questions that you might have that it doesn't answer.