Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 5:01:15 PM EDT
Sorry guys I know this one has been beat to death but I have a problem. When I go to install my flash hider, it wont line up right. If I force it, it may, but it would be like 250 ft/lbs. Im using a black washer that is concaved on one side and convexed on the other. Any ideas? Can I run the washer on some sand paper to thin it up? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Indexing the flash hider again????

Just kidding.

Here, get yourself a new crush washer (that's what this type of washer is called because it "gives" a little to allow you to index properly).  The crush washer should "point" toward the stock, sort of like this > with the wider base fitting against the flash hider.

Then crank it down until the top center port aligns straight up.  Should not take that much torque and ideally, if you are interested in retaining accuracy, use a combination of indexing shims AND the crush washer so that the top port of the flash hider will be hand tight at the 11 o'clock position, then wrench it to 12 position.  Doing it this way ensures that there is only 5 pounds of torque or so securing the flash hider.  Too much torque at the muzzle WILL effect accuracy.  Use loctite with this method too.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he does have a crush washer.  

I sanded mine, just as you are thinking.  I rubbed the washer on emery cloth so that I got an even grind, rechecked, sanded, rechecked.  I did both sides of the washer.  Finally, I was able to get the flash hider to about the ten o'clock position.  From there, I cranked, backed off, cranked, backed off...until I got her to twelve o'clock.  

Hope that maybe that helps.  Might not be a real technical way of doing things, but it worked for me and my weapon shoots great.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
i did not sand mine down....i used a vice and SLOWLY compressed it

done it to 3 of em, and they all fit in fine

PS: to evenly compress the washers (b/c its tough to hold the washer in the vice before closing), i used a paper towel and placed the washer in it (single ply, no need to fold over); lowered it into the vice and pressed
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you gentlemen. I have a press at work, maybe I'll try to crush it about .005 and see how it lines up. Right now hand tight will only take it to about 8:00 or 8:30 position. When I  tighten it back it up and re tighten it a few times, I get to about 9:30 position and it is TIGHT.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Just buy a Vortex and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
crush washers CRUSH when you tighten the flash hider.

Put the upper in a reciever block, put it in your vice, use your armorer's wrench to TURN the damn thing until it indexes correctly....The CRUSH washer will CRUSH accordingly.

All of the sanding and "vice-smooshing" is NOT required.

Even if it crushes, that is a lot of torque pushing on the fh, the threads, and the barrel shoulder.  The key is to get the perfect fit of it being just tight enough but not being overly tight.  Crushing the crush washer will get it way too tight.  It shouldn't take a fat man, a armorer's tool extension, and 2 2x4's to remove the damn flash hider.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:58:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I took it to work and smashed the crap out of it. I put it in the press. It wouldnt crush and wouldnt crush then all at once squish SOB!! I crushed it too much and need a new one. Whats this talk about the vortex. Do you not need a crush washer?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, I took it to work and smashed the crap out of it. I put it in the press. It wouldnt crush and wouldnt crush then all at once squish SOB!! I crushed it too much and need a new one. Whats this talk about the vortex. Do you not need a crush washer?

NO crush washer, peel washer or lock washer  (the 3 main types of indexing or non-indexing devices used to install flash suppressors) NEEDED for installation of the G6 Vortex.

Note: follow the instructions which come with Vortex FS, should ya decide on one of them.

Mike

ps - to tell ya the truth, IF indexing a flash suppressor is this hard for you (and as ya listened to the numb-nut that told ya to squash the crush washer in a vise, which should never need to be done, except by someone with less experience than you have)  I'd put my tools down go see a gunsmith, someone with abit more experience with firearm work. This way you'll not be screwing up your rifle.

BTW, this is a flash hider, circa WWII:

NOT to be confused with a flash suppressor:

Note: crush washer on pic above is installed backward, (not my pic)
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:15:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
crush washers CRUSH when you tighten the flash hider.

Put the upper in a reciever block, put it in your vice, use your armorer's wrench to TURN the damn thing until it indexes correctly....The CRUSH washer will CRUSH accordingly.

All of the sanding and "vice-smooshing" is NOT required.

Do not put the upper reciver in a vice block to install the flash hider. Use a set of barrel jaws as close to muzzel as you can in your vice.

There is no need to pre crush a crush washer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Peel washers anyone?

They work everytime!!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top