Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 12:22:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 12:22:24 PM EST by Dredd371]
I'm building an AR using a Noveske upper/lower and DD LPK. I'm also installing a Magpul MIAD grip. I'm having a problem getting the screw for the MIAD to tighten all the way. I have removed the grip and tried putting the screw in by itself and I have tried the screw that came with the LPK (it is shorter than the Magpul). Does anyone have any advise? Should I find an even shorter screw or use washers as shims? I'm worried about the shims causing the grip to loosen over time. I don't want to strip out the threads on my lower by trying to force it.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:28:53 PM EST
I'd use washers. If you're really concerned about them loosening, go to Lowe's and buy a locking washer with "teeth" on one side. Place the washers on the bolt with the locking washer last (teeth side up). tighten down and forget about it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:32:50 PM EST
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:54:37 PM EST
I found the thread locker they installed on the screw made it very difficult to turn. You can clean it off with a wire brush and put on liquid if you wish, but I find the star washer holds it fine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:56:24 PM EST
Mine was so tight I had to use a power drill
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:06:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 3:29:22 PM EST by MSPRet]
Oops...doubletap...see below post....<><....:)
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:08:03 PM EST
I suggest removing any excessive thread locker first and staying away for a power driver if you can. Never force anything when working on guns or machinery, especially fine machinery and stuff made to pretty close tolerances...<><....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:22:19 PM EST
Tap the hole properly. Evidently it wasn't tapped all the way thru.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:26:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bretshooter:

It's probably not the hole. It's a common issue with Magpul grip screws; They put so much damn thread locker on them they're really tough to install. Personally, I just throw the magpul screw in a box and use a std hex cap screw and star washer. I've never had any issues this way, use it on all of my grips, and don't have to screw around with a damn flat head screw driver inside the grip.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:36:43 PM EST
Thanks for all the input! I thought it might be the Loc-tite but the screw from the LPK didn't have any and it would go in either.

Put me in a padded cell with 2 metal ball-bearings and in less than 5 minutes I'll lose one and break the other.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:50:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
I found the thread locker they installed on the screw made it very difficult to turn. You can clean it off with a wire brush and put on liquid if you wish, but I find the star washer holds it fine.

When I used the screw that came with my MIAD, I had to lay the gun on the floor to get the leverage needed with the screw driver to put it on there and get it tightened down.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:57:13 PM EST
If the screw without thread locker gave you trouble then I would suggest running a tap in there the clean the threads. There's no reason it should take that much force and if it does something is wrong. I would slow things down and find the problem before you end up with a broken screw.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:09:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bretshooter:

I've had to do this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:13:40 AM EST
I had the same issue with a Magpul grip and Rock River Lower. I removed the locktite they had put on the screw and still couldn't get the screw to advance all the way. I cleaned the threads of the lower with a tap. Do not force the screw.
Had a similar issue with another Magpul grip and RRA lower that I was helping my brother build. I removed all the locktiite from the grip and it went in fine after that. Still a little tight, but nothing like the first one. Just don't use a power drill or force the screw in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:20:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

When I used the screw that came with my MIAD, I had to lay the gun on the floor to get the leverage needed with the screw driver to put it on there and get it tightened down.

I just did a build with a MOE grip. It went in there, but it was a lot of work. They did not skip on the thread locker.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:04:30 AM EST
I've installed four MIADs on three different brand lowers. They ALL had a tough time getting the screw in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:13:39 AM EST
Remove the grip and take a look at the threaded hole in the lower.

Did you fubar the threads by cross-threading the screw?

I've done that.

Luckily a $5 tap from NAPA fixed it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:28:13 PM EST
I had the same problem with a MIAD that I installed last night. Magpul went a bit overkill on the included blue threadlocker already on the screw. This was the issue. Got a ratchet to finish the install.
Top Top