Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2010 8:13:28 PM EDT
OK, so, I understand Green Mountain made some A1 barrels that were a tad too short...

Can somebody take a photo of one of those barrels with a bayonet mounted on it, I'd like to see exactly where the bayonet's going to wind up hanging on the rifle once it's all put together.  Second, could the FH be moved forward a bit by stacking some washers for a little more space?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]

tagged for detailed info

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think they sold any...could be wrong.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I know of one guy near me that has ordered and received one.  I have not seen it in person yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Der Hans,
They don't come with FSB installed so I don't think anybody has completed one yet.  I think Cracked is gonna shorten his for a carbine build. The FSB will remain in same place.  A-1 FH will work fine and it will end up about half way up FH and pretty snug.  If using a three prong, bayonet ring is going to be where the prongs start to taper.  Will look fine but will be a little loose.  Not as bad as a 16" carbine but similar.  I don't really use the bayonets or shoot with them on the rifles but I think I'm gonna install an A-1 FH if I buy one. I switch FH's around all the time anyway.  Think it wouldn't look right with washers and 1/2in is a bunch. Didn't think there was 1/2" of threads.  A Smith FH that doesn't taper might be snug on it and not look too off beat.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 3:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think Cracked is gonna shorten his for a carbine build. The FSB will remain in same place.

I considered this first, and even called ADCO about it, but they seemed to think it wasn't going to work real well without a modded gas system.  If I knew how big the real 605 gas port was, I'd tell them to open it up to that size and chop the barrel off.

A-1 FH will work fine and it will end up about half way up FH and pretty snug.  If using a three prong, bayonet ring is going to be where the prongs start to taper.  Will look fine but will be a little loose.  (snip)  Think it wouldn't look right with washers and 1/2in is a bunch. Didn't think there was 1/2" of threads.  A Smith FH that doesn't taper might be snug on it and not look too off beat.

OK, thats what I wanted to know.  I was thinking about stacking a peel washer, painted to match the barrel, with a lock washer, to see if that would help with the three prong.  I rarely put a bayonet on the rifles, in fact, it happens about once a year when they get put out on display at a club event here.  However since you mention extended FH's I might just stick one of those on and call it good, I'd probably go with an extended A1 or A2.

ETA:

Triumph675 on 605 gas ports:
Quoted:
45Bravo said his 605 gas port diameters are .110

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=520044&page=2
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey Guys at the moment Jerrel has more important things on his mind, as his lady has been ill....And here's wishing her a quick and full recovery

But Cdenmark is correct, at least one (had to buy a couple of them at that price) of mine is getting cut down to 605 specs by Heatnbeat as soon as he gets his missus feeling well and he has some spare time to work on a retro 3 prong styled muzzle brake for me.

here's a comparison pic that I took when I first received the GM barrel...hope it gives you some idea of where things will end up
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:47:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Where can I order one of these at?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where can I order one of these at?

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=GM-M15
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the photo, cracked.

Looks like I'll either go with a standard A1 hider, or perhaps with an extended one if I can fine one I like, but it'll have to be A1 or A2 style.  I just MIGHT have it chopped to 605 style, but then that would mean that I'd have to buy an NDS 605 upper, and a matching lower, and a Type-D stock, etc...
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:24:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the photo, cracked.

Looks like I'll either go with a standard A1 hider, or perhaps with an extended one if I can fine one I like, but it'll have to be A1 or A2 style.  I just MIGHT have it chopped to 605 style, but then that would mean that I'd have to buy an NDS 605 upper, and a matching lower, and a Type-D stock, etc...

the only place that I know of that does an extended A1 is CNC Warrior....good price for a specialty item too

If I can find mine, I'll mount it up and snap another pic

and many 605's used the standard 604 upper receiver

here's a little cut/paste from RBR:

Colt Model 605 Upper Variations
The Colt Model 605 was built using both a Standard Slickside Upper, and a
Colt model 603 Upper which had the Forward Assist machined off leaving a
raised hump on the receiver where the Forward Assist should have been
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Der Hans, Numrich gun parts has D-stocks for $6.50ea might even get a C-stock but the last few I bought were all D's.  Denny's Guns on EE had extended A-2 FH I believe but not the cheapest.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I know 604 uppers were used, in fact, I've got a spare black "604" upper, but if I did a 605 I'd have to put it on a 605 upper...

Or...I could have my black upper redone in gray, and then built one of those 605 uppered 604s and a 604 uppered 605...lol...

ETA:

@ Cden - What kind of shape were those stocks in though?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#13]
CNC warrior also has extended A2's for $20 if that's what you want

here's a pic with the GM barrel and a CNC Warrior extended A1 compared to a C MP C with an A1
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CNC warrior also has extended A2's for $20 if that's what you want

here's a pic with the GM barrel and a CNC Warrior extended A1 compared to a C MP C with an A1
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/f201970e.jpg

No, if I'm going to spend $20 on an extended FH, I'm going to go the A1 route.

Interesting, thanks for the pics!  It doesn't look too "Off" when it's rigged up like that, so maybe thats the route I'll go if I don't have it cut down ala 605.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 6:12:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe helpful

The Colt milspec gas port sizes are:

10.5" .093"
11.5" .081"
14" .063"
16" .063"

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Der Hans, My camera sucks but the ones I got were pretty decent and cleaned up well. A couple of the swivels appeared to be refinished black and I never tried to remove it.  Probably come right off but I have some grey swivels anyway.  Most even came with the screw but a couple screws were not perfect but functional. Screwdriver slipage.  Scratches were minimal on the ones I got and no cracks.  The handguards were a totally different story most were cracked, they even sent broken no drains but I got a few decent sets also.  When I bought I got complete sets for $20 (stocks, HG's and PG). I install A-1 stocks on most all my rifles and mostly M-4 on carbines with a fiberlite ocasionally. I've got 5-10 I'll probably never use and I already set aside the ones for my last two builds.  Thought I'd keep a couple of spares just in case.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I know it wouldn't be right but if one were to go the 605 clone route, could that individual use an SP1 upper and at least get away with it?  From a glance, is there a big difference in the outward appearance?  I know I'd have to use the offset bushing so that I could use a regular pivot pin!  This individual really has no plans for the extra SP1 upper he has.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know it wouldn't be right but if one were to go the 605 clone route, could that individual use an SP1 upper and at least get away with it?  From a glance, is there a big difference in the outward appearance?  I know I'd have to use the offset bushing so that I could use a regular pivot pin!  This individual really has no plans for the extra SP1 upper he has.

don't see any reason why an "individual" couldn't do it that way

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top