Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2005 5:24:03 PM EDT
(Sorry for the stupid cat commercial on this site before the bear clip.)

MSN News: Bear Attack

Interesting story about a grisly bear attack in Kalifornia.  That's what happens to good people if they don't have quick access to a .50 Beowulf.  The only problem is if they shoot a bear in a National Park with an EVIL 50 caliber rifle they would go to prison.  

This guy had to hit the bear with a rock to get it to stop eating his daughter...

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I got most of the way through the video.

First, in this case, I do not think any weapon of any caliber would have helped him.  They were attacked from 5 feet, and from his tale, it sounds like he would have been SOL unless he had been carrying something at port arms.  Not likely when hiking for enjoyment.  Another point that this attack brings up is that a pistol might have been more useful.  Something he might have been able to access while the bear had him.  A rifle would have ended up who knows where.  The better choice would have been for both of them to be packing.  At least the second shooter might have been able to intervene.

I can tell you from experience with one black bear that might have had me for lunch if I had not been packing a gun while bow hunting is that an encounter will happen very fast, and you will not be expecting it.  Unless of course your idea of a hike or a hunt entails carrying a gun at the ready, at all times, with your attention on exactly nothing else but what is immediately up ahead.  If I wanted that, I would have joined the Armed Forces.  I still like the handgun in Black bear country.   Not really in the way, and I think that I can skin leather faster than unslinging or unpacking a long gun.

And of course, I stay the heck out of National Parks.  If I want to see a National Park feature, no problem.  Just to go hiking, I'll take the National Forest any day.

Craig
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I watched the Vid and must say that's just plain bad.  
But in a Nat Park, it's a felony to be armed, I know this because my wife was an LEO for the Nat Park Service where I live here in Alaska.
Here on Baranof Island in the South East, if you go hiking or camping on your own, and don't pack heat, your stupid.
We haven't got any Black Bear, just big fat Browns. I got a Saiga 12 a couple years ago but the Beowulf I'm building will be the new walking stick.  
If I ever have to DLP (Defense of Life/Property) I'll be sure to have a digital camera on hand, I can't say I want to run into a Grizz, but around here it's a matter of time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]

The only problem is if they shoot a bear in a National Park with an EVIL 50 caliber rifle they would go to prison.

Take any loaded gun into a National Park, expect to find an unhappy park ranger
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
most of these people who are attacked by bears/mt. cats deserve it.  odds are they're for gungrabbers that's why they believe that this world is a perfect place and anytime they're in trouble they'll just call 911 and help will come.  ignorant people who venture into the woods would always end up in trouble either lost/injury/become part of the food chain......most kalifornians don't understand what "wilderness" is because they're too much of city junkies without any outdoor experiences.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
most of these people who are attacked by bears/mt. cats deserve it.  

NOBODY deserves being mauled by a bear, gungrabber or otherwise. I'm with Bearbait- a handgun in bear country is the ticket, but it has to be a BIG handgun, .44 Mag minimum, .454 Casull even better.
If you wanna hike the national forest unarmed that's you're business, but if I go, I'm taking a gun.
By the way, a biologist buddy of mine says the bear pepper sprays touted by some as alternatives to a gun are just seasoning for people.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]

By the way, a biologist buddy of mine says the bear pepper sprays touted by some as alternatives to a gun are just seasoning for people

That doesn't seem to be the concenus of the people who live/work in Bear Country and teach Bear Safety.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like it happened in Montana, they live in CA...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:12:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

By the way, a biologist buddy of mine says the bear pepper sprays touted by some as alternatives to a gun are just seasoning for people

That doesn't seem to be the concenus of the people who live/work in Bear Country and teach Bear Safety.

I'll talk to him again... could be he has experience with the stuff sold as people repellants. I did amn Internet search and apparently the stuff sold as BEAR repellant is a hell of a lot more potent than the people repellant.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I watched the Vid and must say that's just plain bad.  
But in a Nat Park, it's a felony to be armed, I know this because my wife was an LEO for the Nat Park Service where I live here in Alaska.
Here on Baranof Island in the South East, if you go hiking or camping on your own, and don't pack heat, your stupid.
We haven't got any Black Bear, just big fat Browns. I got a Saiga 12 a couple years ago but the Beowulf I'm building will be the new walking stick.  
If I ever have to DLP (Defense of Life/Property) I'll be sure to have a digital camera on hand, I can't say I want to run into a Grizz, but around here it's a matter of time.

So you think a 50B would be better than a 3"mag slug? What about a 308 or '06? As long as it's not rifle season for deer/elk your GTG with a rifle here. Regardless, I always carry a 10mm, 220@1300. Cats are more the issue here, but as long as your not near a grade school they aren't much of a problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#10]
i don't know about the 44 mag and above but a few years back a grizz was killed that had dents in its skull from a 357 that park rangers carry and it wouldn't penatrate the cranium. thats some scary s#@t if ya ask me i'm more in tune with the 50 beowulf.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#11]
i think the 458 would do the job on one of them ole bears in Kali
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
most of these people who are attacked by bears/mt. cats deserve it.  

NOBODY deserves being mauled by a bear, gungrabber or otherwise. I'm with Bearbait- a handgun in bear country is the ticket, but it has to be a BIG handgun, .44 Mag minimum, .454 Casull even better.
If you wanna hike the national forest unarmed that's you're business, but if I go, I'm taking a gun.
By the way, a biologist buddy of mine says the bear pepper sprays touted by some as alternatives to a gun are just seasoning for people.

nobody deserves it.......come on, I've known some friends who would venture into the the boonies unarmed and I've warned them of dangerous animals/2 legg vermin's and even offered to loan them my 12ga winchester pump with 3" mag slugs as well.  I would hate to see them get hurt but it's like the N.O. katrina sceniario.  they tell the people to get out, but they still stay in and then get stuck and need help......it's sad to see people that don't want any help/advice and then see them get hurt, but in a sense it's "I told you So".
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top