Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 11:16:43 AM EDT
Took my oldest granddaughter to the range this morning. I taught all 4 of my kids to shoot and reinforced gun saftey. Funny thing is 2 of the four are against the kids having anything to do with guns. Even knowing why I taught them. I'm in law enforcement and am convinced that more kids are hurt and killed by ignorance and curiosity than any other firearms related accident. I asked her moms(my daughters) permission and she said it was ok. Just don't let her dad know. He's got his head up his ass.
She hit the bull the 1st shot. We were only shooting at 50 yards but I was beaming. I'm not going to tell you she hit red every time but she did hit about 50% and the other shots were within 2-3 inches. First time ever shooting and she stated off with an AR. Then she wanted to shoot my hand gun which is my duty Glock .40. I showed here the proper stance and grip. Damned if she didn't hit the bull 1st shot again. Only fired 5 times. 2 in the red and 3 close. Don't think she much liked the recoil of the .40 I went over safety again after the session. I was raised with guns, hunting, and was in the military. I just don't understand the way people view guns these days. Even my kids(at least 2 of them). who were also raised with them. One daughter told me she doesn't want her daughter to ever learn about guns. I told my daughter "yes, until she runs accross one".  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You go, Pappy!

(Of course, this thread is worthless without pics...LOL)
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You go, Pappy!

(Of course, this thread is worthless without pics...LOL)

+1 Comon' Grandpa!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
You know, I can kick myself for not taking pictures. I do have the targets. Next time out I'll not forget.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
job well done. We need to get more kids involved
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I totally agree that firearm training would be more beneficial than isolating kids from them.  My little ones are getting close to range age and I plan on having them well versed in gun safety and function.  Kudos to you for instructing the grandkids.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Great job Grand Dad!! I tought both of my kids to shoot when they were very young and started my granddaughter off last year by giving her my very first rifle from when I was a kid. A single shot marlin 22cal bolt action which is now her very own first gun. A month ago I found a like new Remington Nylon 66. Now she has her very own second gun. Just like your little one, I can't believe how good she shot the first time out last year. Keep up the good work and have a ball!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I love posts about  kids getting good intructions about firearms. I have always had this wacky opinion that gun safety and education should be taught to every child. Kinda of a prerequsite(sp) like history or math.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank You

Today you did your duty to your family and every one of us who want see this heritage continued.

So Thanks from another Grampa. We still have a lot of work to do, but it is a labor of love.

ODG
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top