Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2005 4:40:06 PM EDT
I ordered a kit from J&T on Monday about lunch.  Having no patience, I asked about express next day shipping.  They could only guarantee it for two day delivery and it ran the cost up to $70 from $18 with UPS ground.  Well, that is definetely not worth the difference.  So I asked to have FedEx ship it because they are much easier to get my packages from here after work.  It cost $16 for FedEx and was here in 3 days.  So it took one more day and saved me $55.  Excellent delivery from J&T.  The kit looks great, I ordered the 20" HBar kit.  The only problem that I see is that the buttstock is very grey compared to the handgaurds and the pistol grip.  Not a major problem but I will keep my eyes open for a jet black one at the upcoming gunshows to replace it with.  It will not hurt having a spare one around for another project one day.  I'll probably take the upper and put it on my rock river to see how it shoots tomorrow.  I'm going to pick up my new RR NMA2 and two extra lowers tomorrow so this weekend shows a lot of promise.  Next week, I'll tear this down, break out the moly resin and then put everything back together.  I'll let you know how the upper shoots.  The barrel says DSG 1-9, who made this barrel, Shaw?  If this works out well, J&T will definetely get more business from me.  GS
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
All stocks look that way.  If it REALLY bothers you, oil it a bunch of times.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure about the barrel, but you can fix that buttstock.

Take some CLP and rub that into the stock. It will darken up and stay that way for a long time and, from what I've heard, won't leave an oily residue after you wipe the excess off and let the rest soak in.

WIZZO

EDIT: Beat to the draw
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I'll try that.  Its not a big deal but I don't see where it would hurt to try the oil thing.  Thanks again. gS
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, they use Wilson for chrome-moly and Shaw for stainless steel barrels.

Or maybe it’s the other way around – I forget.  Anyway, your question is answered in the FAQ on their website.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]

The only problem that I see is that the buttstock is very grey compared to the handgaurds and the pistol grip.
Absolutely normal, nothing to get excited about.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah my stock was like that and it still is. I don't fell like touching it, it is still all grey and kind of looks cool until i get my fingure prints of gun oil on it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
They are gray unless someone painted it.  At least, all the A2 buttstocks I have seen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me know how you like the JT kit. I purchased one today from them at the Nashville gunshow. I  put it together in about 2 hours. Only problems so far is all detents have only 1 point, and flat on other side. Also bolt catch spring, is a little large to fit in hole. I purchased a CMMG receiver at the show also, so I'm not sure if it is the hole or the spring. Right now I'm in a motel room and can not really check out the problem. Keep me posted on how your kit does.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#9]
tankdriver,
Let me know how you like the JT kit. I purchased one today from them at the Nashville gunshow. I put it together in about 2 hours. Only problems so far is all detents have only 1 point, and flat on other side. Also bolt catch spring, is a little large to fit in hole. I purchased a CMMG receiver at the show also, so I'm not sure if it is the hole or the spring. Right now I'm in a motel room and can not really check out the problem. Keep me posted on how your kit does.
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detents are susposed to be that way the point goes in first with spring against the flat side , and ck to make sure that you didn't mix up the spring for the sear with the bolt catch , this a common mistake . The sear spring is larger on one end .
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks,
I'll check that out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
All the parts/springs fit perfectly in my J&T kit, make sure you don't have the wrong spring.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Can someone please send me a link to the J & T site???.........i hear soo much about it but when i try and look for it i cannot find out.

thanks,

Eycee*                      
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Click on the "Industry" button up to the right.

J&T
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:42:53 AM EDT
[#14]
For the price I may have to order a J&T 20'' kit soon. $459 is pretty cheap. As long as they work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]
www.jtdistributing.com

In their catalog they tell you that most of their barrels are made by E.R. Shaw.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I did a build using a J&T Expedition upper, and a Cav Arms lower...the SEBR deal from last year.  

It's the only A2 upper I have, and the whole rifle is kinda cool.  Excellent quality on the upper, very nice finish.  If I needed another kit, I'd grab another J&T in a heartbeat.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top