Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 3:36:30 PM EDT
And they were not cheap!!  But the glass is amazing and the rangefinding feature is easy and accurate.  At last..... super optics and rangefinding capability in a single light-weight unit.  Hats off to Leica.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep asking for these for my B-day.

My wife looks at me then every time.  I wonder what that means?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Now you can get an educated guess on the distance to the neighbor lady's bedroom window....

Nice purchase...wish you were close by so I could give them a looksie.

MT
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the Leica also, but did you get any feedback on the Newcon Optik LRB 7X50 Laser Rangefinder Binoculars? And are the 7X50 waterproof like the 7X40 (as quoted below)?

SPECIFICATIONS:

Magnification 7
Objective Lens, mm 50
Field of View 5°
Laser Type Class 1 eye safe
Measuring Range, m 20-1,500
Diopter Adjustment range ±4
Scan Mode Yes
Accuracy, m ±1  
Automatic Reflective Mode Yes
'Last Target' measurement Yes
Battery 9V
Dimensions, mm 210x150x80  
Weight without battery, g  1.300

Viewfinder Information

1 - Measurement Result
2 - Units of Measurement
(Yards, Meters, KMH, MPH)
3 - Low Battery Indicator
4 - Over 100m Indicator (optional)
5 - Laser Active Indicator
6 - Target Quality Indicator (optional)
7 - Reticule (cross or rectangular selectable)

This compact Laser Rangefinder Binocular provides instant distance measurements consistently and accurately.
Therefore, there is no need to carry a separate binocular and a
separate laser rangefinder.
The outstanding optics allows a sharp
and clear image. Rubberized finish and waterproof / shockproof construction
allowing usage of the unit under
the harshest conditions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I love the Leica also, but did you get any feedback on the Newcon Optik LRB 7X50 Laser Rangefinder Binoculars? And are the 7X50 waterproof like the 7X40 (as quoted below)?

SPECIFICATIONS:

Magnification 7
Objective Lens, mm 50
Field of View 5°
Laser Type Class 1 eye safe
Measuring Range, m 20-1,500
Diopter Adjustment range ±4
Scan Mode Yes
Accuracy, m ±1  
Automatic Reflective Mode Yes
'Last Target' measurement Yes
Battery 9V
Dimensions, mm 210x150x80  
Weight without battery, g  1.300

Viewfinder Information

1 - Measurement Result
2 - Units of Measurement
(Yards, Meters, KMH, MPH)
3 - Low Battery Indicator
4 - Over 100m Indicator (optional)
5 - Laser Active Indicator
6 - Target Quality Indicator (optional)
7 - Reticule (cross or rectangular selectable)

This compact Laser Rangefinder Binocular provides instant distance measurements consistently and accurately.
Therefore, there is no need to carry a separate binocular and a
separate laser rangefinder.
The outstanding optics allows a sharp
and clear image. Rubberized finish and waterproof / shockproof construction
allowing usage of the unit under
the harshest conditions.

No, in fact I never heard of them.  They do not appear to be carried by the big dealers but look forward to hearing how they peform.  At less than 1/3 the price they might be a great deal or possibly not up to the task.  

I bought mine for big game hunting (elk and hopefully Caribu) where one may spend half the day glassing and where long distance shots are often required.  The quality of Leica glass combined with their durability and legendary ability to withstand the weather extremes required combined with their dual use (the ability to immediately range game without having to move or use another piece of equipment) was too compelling when I was considering buying $1,200.00 Binos and a $500.00 rangefinder.  I spent $1,500.00 & saved money - can't beat that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No, in fact I never heard of them.  They do not appear to be carried by the big dealers but look forward to hearing how they peform.  At less than 1/3 the price they might be a great deal or possibly not up to the task.  

I was hoping to hear from someone who had used them.  Newcon Optik makes a great deal of differing equipment, and I have heard from great to poor reviews of some of it, but nothing on the laser rangefinder binocs.
Most of the major retailers such as B&H, J&R, Adorama, appear to have them in stock or are able to get them, but I just can't buy a set with no feedback at all.
One reviewer was dissapointed in the performance of a Newcon Optik laser rangefinder but the feedback I have gotten on Newcon binoculars has been very good.

I know the Leica is excellent equipment (I have a lot of photographic equipment experience) and would not be dissapointing in any way which is why I am leaning toward a Leica 10x42 Geovid BRF myself.

Any further feedback you could give me (us) on the Leica would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was hoping to hear from someone who had used them.  Newcon Optik makes a great deal of differing equipment, and I have heard from great to poor reviews of some of it, but nothing on the laser rangefinder binocs.
Most of the major retailers such as B&H, J&R, Adorama, appear to have them in stock or are able to get them, but I just can't buy a set with no feedback at all.
One reviewer was dissapointed in the performance of a Newcon Optik laser rangefinder but the feedback I have gotten on Newcon binoculars has been very good.

I know the Leica is excellent equipment (I have a lot of photographic equipment experience) and would not be dissapointing in any way which is why I am leaning toward a Leica 10x42 Geovid BRF myself.

Any further feedback you could give me (us) on the Leica would be much appreciated.

Yes, I can tell you to be carefull with the 10x42 model.  The reason most range finders do not go to that high a magnification (I believe they are usually 6x or 8x) is that it can be diificult to range on small items with a 10x b/c of the difficulty of keeping the binos steady when holding them off-hand.  While I like the 10x, the increased field of view at 8x and the incrimental increase in difficulty in honing in on smaller targets with the 10x made the choice of the 8x a simple one.  

BTW magnification is not everything.  I would immediately choose a superior lens with optimal light gathering over a higher magnification of lesser quality.  Of course when making the choice between a 10x Lieca and a 8x Leica those considerations do not apply.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought of pair of Leica 10x42 Ultravids this year and couldn't be happier with them.  They are bright, the field of view is wide, and they are nice and light to carry.

If the 10x42 Geovids have the same optical parameters as the 10x42's, feel confident in that choice.

-z
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Many thanks for the feedback.
I'm pretty much set on the Leica in either 8 or 10 power.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I bought of pair of Leica 10x42 Ultravids this year and couldn't be happier with them.  They are bright, the field of view is wide, and they are nice and light to carry.

If the 10x42 Geovids have the same optical parameters as the 10x42's, feel confident in that choice.

-z

10x42's binos are great and I had initially considered them in the Geovid BRF there is certainly no issue w/optical parameters, just minor difficulty with the range finder and stability and smaller or moving targets as mentioned above (probably the reason most manufacturers make rangefinders 8x or less).  Increased field of view was just a plus.   Obviously Leica did not put an unusable or inferior product in the market stream.

If you are going to lay out $$$$$$ for this type of item, go to a super store and use the features yourself and decide what's best for you.

In any event you will not be sorry when you're in the field with a pair of Leicas.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top