Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2009 4:06:45 AM EDT
Just like the title says, I just got my LWRC M6A2 and I want an optic that would be quick and accurate from 25 yards to maybe 150 yards, what should I go with? Eotech, Aimpoint, ACOG, price isnt really my biggest concern, but I dont want something just because its the most expensive ya know... I was looking at an aimpoint M4, liked it, but then I was looking at an Eotech in the same store and couldnt really see what would make almost a $200 difference between the two. I actually like the bigger open window of the Eotech, but I like the amount of battery life with the Aimpoint, but I havent used either... I like the ACOG too, but how long do they last before they burn out, that worries me at that price.... Help me out with some suggestions based on first hand experience please!! If you have other optics in mind feel free to share, Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used a number of Eotechs & Aimpoints over the years. While Aimpoint gets the nod for ruggedness, reliability & insane battery life I prefer the Eotech's reticle (especially when shooting from unconventional positions) and am currently running Eotech 512's on my rifles as it shares the same AA battery as the rest of my kit. However, should I experience problems w/my Eotechs I will default back to Aimpoints. Both are combat-proven in the sandbox so pick the one that best suits your needs & pocketbook.
Keep us posted!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe bullitt will pop in with an official answer, but I'm thinking ACOGs last for something like 15 years.  After that you can get the tritium redone too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe bullitt will pop in with an official answer, but I'm thinking ACOGs last for something like 15 years.  After that you can get the tritium redone too.

+1.

The ACOG will most likely out live you.

Any of those will work...do you want magnification?  If not...Aimpoint ML3 is a great choice.  The EoTech is a fine optic as well, the different reticle definitely can have it's advantages and dis-advantages.  The battery life and regged desing on Aimpoints make them hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Aimpoint T1 in a LaRue mount.  

/end thread
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

/end thread

Normally I'd agree but the OP stated " I actually like the bigger open window of the Eotech"

Thus the 22mm objective of the T-1 is probably not what he is looking for.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/end thread

Normally I'd agree but the OP stated " I actually like the bigger open window of the Eotech"

Thus the 22mm objective of the T-1 is probably not what he is looking for.

Got ya.  Aimpoint M3/M4.  While the ACOG is a great optic I think if you are only using it from contact to 150 then a red dot owns all.  

IMHO after running both full size and Micro Aimpoints the Micro wins every time.  Durability, knob design, weight, battery life.  Nothing beats the T1 except for battery life, but with 10k hrs life you have more than enough battery life. If you change your batteries once a year or 2 or three years you wont have a problem.  So unless you for see yourself needing 80k batt life I don't see a reason why you would want anything else.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top