Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/9/2003 7:22:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/9/2003 7:32:40 PM EDT by nsf003]
I actually got all A's, and I am going to pick up my AR tomorrow. I want to get some 30 round magazines and about 1000 rounds of cheap ammo to start out. Can anyone tell me of magazine brands to stay away from or buy. I know USGI 30 rounders are good, but expensive.

I'll have to post pictures.

Would it be a good idea to buy a few (stripped?)lowers so you could say you already had them in case the AWB gets worse? I might get uppers for them later, no later than 9/14/04.

Enough for now. Sorry for not being very active on this board, I have been busy during the last few weeks. I'll get on more now that I am getting an AR and will be needing your advice.

nsf003
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:35:27 PM EDT
[b]Congratulations on 'BOTH' your accomplishments !![/b] On mags, excepting some old, steel Sterling's, I don't shoot 30's as I find 20's to be more reliable. Stay with the GI manufacturers and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:36:48 PM EDT
GOOD JOB! I like Sanchez mags, but any USGI are the ones to get. Stay away from others.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:38:50 PM EDT
Which ar from which maker are you getting? As far as mags go, usgi's are what you want. Have the money ready and check the equipment exchange for good deals. Wolf ammo has served me well for plinking and ammoman.com has 1000 rounds delivered for $125. If i ever would have been offered an AR for getting good grades, I'd have my doctorate by now! Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:44:53 PM EDT
Just out of curiousity, how old are you and what grade are you in??? Are you purchasing or your parents? 1. Stick with USGI mags ($15 used on EE, Cruffler, etc.) or British Steel mags ($15 new at RGUNS and other places). Read mag FAQ. 2. Use GOOD ammo the first thousand rounds to break rifle in and to make sure it is reliable. (Q3131a or XM193 perferably) Read ammo FAQ. What kind of AR are you getting? Never hurts to have spare stripped lowers, but I perfer spare rifles myself... Hell, for what it costs to build one you buy one nowdays...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:45:14 PM EDT
I'm getting a Bushy 16" carbine. 14.5" barrel with the muzzle brake. nsf003
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:51:43 PM EDT
Better have some good hearing protection for the muzzle brake...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:58:18 PM EDT
I use both Earplugs and earmuffs. They may be the cheap walmart kind, but they muffle my 30-06 pretty well. Or maybe I'm deaf, I did shoot the first 10 rounds without hearing protection. My ears still ring occasionally. I'm 16, 10th grade. I'm paying for most of it, my parents are helping a little. nsf003
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:12:16 PM EDT
I'm also 16 and received my AR in about the same way you got yours. I took the Eagle Arms Preban out to the range (first time shooting an AR) and shot the first 3 rounds and I was getting some GI plugs off of dad [;)] A great sport so far, make sure you get plenty of CLP and keep her lubed. Great hobby to get into!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:28:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EladEflow: I'm also 16 and received my AR in about the same way you got yours. I took the Eagle Arms Preban out to the range (first time shooting an AR) and shot the first 3 rounds and I was getting some GI plugs off of dad [;)] A great sport so far, make sure you get plenty of CLP and keep her lubed. Great hobby to get into!
View Quote
And an Eagle Arms preban is a very fine way to start - GOOD AR's.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:47:39 PM EDT
I'm 17. I have three ARs right now. I already sold one. I am going to sell two more to buy the SEBR. Why did you get the brake? They are loud enough on a 20 inch barrel. I can't imagine one of my 14.5s with a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:01:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack: I'm 17. I have three ARs right now. I already sold one. I am going to sell two more to buy the SEBR. Why did you get the brake? They are loud enough on a 20 inch barrel. I can't imagine one of my 14.5s with a muzzle brake.
View Quote
If you get a 14.5" bbl you have no choice but to put a brake on it. Otherwise you would have a sbr. Bad Mojo.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:38:27 PM EDT
Congrats! i'm partial to Sanchez mags myself
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:47:18 PM EDT
Whoo hoo congrats!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:56:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/9/2003 9:57:06 PM EDT by gtcrispy]
Congrats man. I turned 18 a few weeks ago and bought myself an RRA M4 Upper and RRA complete lower. Only problem is the parents aren't so thrilled so I got to deal with that now :( Hopefully it works out. Alot of you are lucky to not have to worry about your parents and guns.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/9/2003 10:00:15 PM EDT by SantiJS]
You lucky guy! I didnt get my AR until i was 19, and i had to buy it myself... but they sure as hell are fun [:)] Gtcrispy, i know what you mean... i had to keep my AR at a friends house for a while... blows chunks, but atleast i have my ar! ~Santi
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:06:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jtw2:
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack: I'm 17. I have three ARs right now. I already sold one. I am going to sell two more to buy the SEBR. Why did you get the brake? They are loud enough on a 20 inch barrel. I can't imagine one of my 14.5s with a muzzle brake.
View Quote
If you get a 14.5" bbl you have no choice but to put a brake on it. Otherwise you would have a sbr. Bad Mojo.
View Quote
Nope. Vortex.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:59:37 AM EDT
Anyone else here feel old after reading these posts? Congrats on your new rifle. As advised read the mag FAQ section. Read the ammo FAQ section also. I learned a bunch from these two sections when I was new to AR's. Good to see you 'youngsters' taking up the shooting sports. We're gonna need all the help we can get in the years ahead. Y'all need to register to vote and when elections happen, VOTE!! Shabo
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:54:08 AM EDT
It made ME feel old and I'm only 23! Anyway, way to go on the grades and the gun. I wouldn't let anyone freak you out too much about using the cheap ammo. You ought to be able to get a case of Wolf for .10/rnd. Centerfiresystems.com sometimes runs specials that give you free shipping so watch that. Just be sure to clean well and often. -catch
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:02:38 AM EDT
Good for you on the grades and the reward. Keep at the studies and keep that gpa. It will pay off with scholarships in college and on into career path. That translates into more toys all through life. And yes, makes me feel old also at 46. YES, register to vote the moment you are allowed to and know the candidates. I fear seeing our rights and our toys go away before my lifetime is over. I GUARANTEE you young guys will lose your guns and your rights during your lifetime if enough of you don't turn into rabid Article 2 supporters and voters and don't bring enough of your friends online with you.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:07:59 AM EDT
Every time I get to a family get together I find myself hanging out with the 15-20 croud. They just feel like they are my age....until I notice that they are looking at me with this look I remember all to well.... it's the, "I wish this old guy would get the F out of here so we could just be ourselves. Sometimes I feel like I am getting that same look here....AND I'M NOT THAT OLD!!! Congrats on the rifle and the grades....like another said, if my parents would have made that offer to me I would be half way towards a second PHD now. I had to wait till early 20's and had to sell some stuff to get it. Right on bro!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:08:22 AM EDT
Yep having an AR15 at 16 is a great feeling. Trust me having an AR15 will reel the chicks in [;)]. "Hey Heather want to come over later and dump a few mags through the AR?" Not to Hijack but with USGI 30s my AR has been 100% accurate, I had a 20 rounder that wouldn't push the last 2 rounds up to get caught by the bolt. If you're is a Bushy expect a lifetime of reliable service [:)] Great to see another minor with an AR15, we just need to get Sniper_Wolfe an AR now then the minors on this site will be set [;)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:21:40 AM EDT
Congrats on your new rifle. I'd use quality ammo starting out. Stay away from USA mags like the plague. I hope that you young guys belong to the NRA or some other worthy group.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:30:25 AM EDT
I just joined!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:11:57 AM EDT
I wish I got an AR for good grades. That would be so sweet. Good luck on your rifle!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:12:20 AM EDT
Congrats! I know the feeling, I just orderd the kit for my first rifle. You must have great parents. I sure do. Good job on all A's too. I just graduated, and I wish I had done that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:40:55 PM EDT
In a stinking desert, thirty six years ago, I made a vow to never cry again. However, realizing that there are so many fine young lads (and if some of you are young ladies, more's the better) out there brings tears to an old man's eyes. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:25:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
View Quote
View Quote
Nope. Vortex.
View Quote
A vortex what?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:58:18 PM EDT
Well, I am VERY, VERY happy for you, but at the same time I hate you!:) I'm 15 and in the 9th grade and I don't have an AR (Sob sob) cause I ain't gots the $$. But when I grauduate, The USMC will GIVE me an M16!! So there!! J/k. Congrats!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:13:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
View Quote
View Quote
Nope. Vortex.
View Quote
A vortex what?
View Quote
Flash hider. What I think our friend Combat_Jack here is missing is that it is not a preban and that it is bad juju to have a flash hider on a post-ban.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:01:48 PM EDT
I got it. It's all MINE, ha ha ha!! I still can't really believe that I actually have an AR in the safe, well it's right beside me now. I had to work from 7-3, it was the longest day in the world. It just would not end. Afterwards, we went to the gunstore and picked up my rifle, 900 rounds of 223 in 300 round battle packs, and some british surplus steel 30 rounders. I came home and shot it, the muzzle blast wakes you up. I love it. My parents told me that "this is the last gun you get until you move out." I don't think a Bushmaster Varminter upper and an ALexander Arms 50 Beowulf upper count as guns do they? Thanks for all the support. nsf003 ps. Thank you AWB, without you, I probably wouldn't have gone out and bought an AR at the current time. But with the 2004 renewal up, I think I better stock up now. If it sunsets, I can just put preban parts in mine now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:06:22 PM EDT
Oh, and it took me about 2 hours to clean afterwards. Bore brush 3X, patch, repeat. nsf003
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:19:56 PM EDT
If you didn't shoot at least 700 rounds through it, you shouldn't have cleaned it. Cleaning it before about 700 rounds will only delay the break in period. BTW-How did you afford it? I want to get a job this summer and get a M1 Garand or CA legal AR, but i'm only in the 9th grade, 10th grade in 8 days. What kind of job do you have?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/10/2003 7:55:46 PM EDT by Nate1]
Originally Posted By hickboy: If you didn't shoot at least 700 rounds through it, you shouldn't have cleaned it. Cleaning it before about 700 rounds will only delay the break in period. BTW-How did you afford it? I want to get a job this summer and get a M1 Garand or CA legal AR, but i'm only in the 9th grade, 10th grade in 8 days. What kind of job do you have?
View Quote
Not intending a flame, but your post calls into question your authority on giving advice... It is not necessary to "clean" the weapon. However, clp/remoil/whatever you use, should be applied inside and out on all parts that are steel. The weapon can and WILL rust if left unprotected in humid conditions. Firing the weapon can "dry" the lubricant/protectant from firearms, leaving them unprotected. I have lived in humid areas most of my life and cannot stress enough the importance of protecting against rust. This is my usual cleaning method for cleaning my AR15. Uncle Sam still wants his loaner cleaned to rediculous standards however. 1. Hit the bore with a boresnake, then very lightly lube (obstruction due to lube or anything else can ruin your firearm and yourself.) 2. Clean locking lug area with remoil/clp and Q-tips. 3. Take apart internals, wipe off crud, lube, and reassemble. 4. Wipe out upper, lube, replace internals. 5. Clean lower with q-tips and lightly lube as needed. 6. Pop rifle back together and pull handguards. 7. Wipe barrel down with grease/clp/whatever you use to protect it. 8. Put handguards back on and wipe down the rest of the rifle. Not necessary to wipe down the aluminum recievers and stock, but it does make it look nice... You'll figure out your own cleaning routine, we all do. The rifle will last a lifetime if taken care of. If neglected, it will go to waste. Also, I cleaned my rifle (my way anyway) after every trip to the range while I was breaking it in. It doesn't hurt a thing. The key is just keeping it lubed and protected from rust. Rust and liberals are two of firearms biggest enemies... Read the FAQs on here and the Maryland AR15 site.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:53:58 PM EDT
I wanted to clean all of the thick oil and crap the manufacturer puts on before it is shipped. I had $600 from cleaning computers last summer. I am going to be doing it again this summer. I work at Sbarros, I am one of the steam cooks. nsf003
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:57:51 PM EDT
Yeah, you did good... Supposed to clean/lube/inspect before firing first time.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:52:38 AM EDT
Congrats on the new rifle, but moreso on the grades. I wish I had known what an AR-15 was when I was 18 (13 years ago)!!! I'd be up to my armpits in AR's!!! Again, congrats!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:45:02 AM EDT
KIDS WITH GUNS- LOOK OUT! [:D] When I was 18 or 19 (mid '80s) I bought an AR- Oly CAR-15. Jammed up about every 5-10 rounds, so I convinced the dealer to buy it back. Of course NOW I realize that I should have kept it & had it fixed. It was about $500 then, maybe worth $1000 + now as a pre-ban. My parents did NOT know about this gun. They would probably have had a heart attack.
Top Top