Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2006 1:51:08 PM EDT
I'm trying to determin the twist I have but there are no markings on the rifle. Is this a valid way to check?

20" barrel

Ran my brush down the barrel and counted the number of turns it made. 2.2 revolutions.

By my fuzzy math that equates to a 1:9 twist.

Is that correct? Is it valid?

And if not is there a better way?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you look under the handguards already?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did you look under the handguards already?

Yes sure did. There are NO markings on the barrel what so ever.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup that is 1:9
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been looking for a proper thread to post this question.  My Stag 4gery is the same way. No markings on the barrel at all.  I was told that it is 1:9, but my question is are unmarked barrels common.  The only marking on the upper at all, besides the forging mark is the F mark on the FSB.  Again, I believe the components to be all Stag, but is there a sure fire way to tell?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably not chrome lined. Of course there are those who would then say it's "match grade"....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Stag barrels should be chromed and marked.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have been looking for a proper thread to post this question.  My Stag 4gery is the same way. No markings on the barrel at all.  I was told that it is 1:9, but my question is are unmarked barrels common.  The only marking on the upper at all, besides the forging mark is the F mark on the FSB.  Again, I believe the components to be all Stag, but is there a sure fire way to tell?

My Stag M4gery says 5.56 NATO 1/9 right on it
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Could be a RRA barrel; I know that the barrel on my RRA Upper (16 in. CAR4) is not marked (and trust me, I looked all over the thing), but as far as I know, the rifling is 1/9 twist on mine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.  Well since Stag makes stuff for RRA, I guess maybe I do have an all Stag after all.  Still, I'd rather have the barrel stamped.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Could be a RRA barrel; I know that the barrel on my RRA Upper (16 in. CAR4) is not marked (and trust me, I looked all over the thing), but as far as I know, the rifling is 1/9 twist on mine.

Look more up by the barrel nut.  RRA has always marked thier barrels.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]

i have a gun that's got an un marked barrel too. but that gun has a stock kit from Vltor, sling plate from GG&G, lower is bushmaster, parts kit is RRA, upper is LCW, BCG is CMT, and carry handle is Colt.

severe mutt-gun, but it's never so much as hiccupped in the years since it's been cobbled together, and it's my most accurate weapon.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought an upper with an advertised 1:7 Chrome CMMG barrel.  No markings.  I was told it was an early run in limited numbers.  I checked their website when I bought it and sure enough, no 16 inch mid length gas barrels.

Of course that's changed and now they offer two 16 mid's, both clearly CMMG labeled.  Hopefully their earlier barrels were sans markings.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not concerned about who made the barrel just what the twist was. Knowning that my method to determine the twist was correct is good. Now I can order the M855? heavier ammo and not worry about having a shotgun instead of a rifle.

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#14]

855 will work fine in 1/9 twist.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top