Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2003 9:49:20 PM EDT
I picked up a Bushmaster from Denny's Guns in North Kansas City on 2 May 2003. It was pre-owned but appears to have been shot very little or not at all. Here is the breakdown on the rifle from what I can identify.

Bushmaster XM15E2S Shorty A3
Y Comp muzzle brake
GG&G flip up front sight
Hogue pistol grip
A.R.M.S SIR M
A.R.M.S #40 Rear sight
Aimpoint Comp M sight

Their price on the rifle was $1700.00. I traded my Armalite AR-15A2 16", HK USP 40, Ruger 10/22 and Norinco SKS + $500.00.

I did not get the detachable carry handle, owners manual, Bushmaster hard case or the Delta ring that was removed to install the SIR. I guess these items were missing due to the rifle being pre-owned.

As I look at AR15.com (joined on 3 May 2003) and get educated, I'm feeling pretty screwed by this dealer. I guess it is my fault for not doing my homework first.

Just looking for some opinions from you guys that really know about market value on this stuff.

Thanks for your time.

Brent
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
don't know about the other stuff but these run around

Bushmaster XM15E2S Shorty A3  $800
A.R.M.S SIR M                 $400
A.R.M.S #40 Rear sight        $90
Aimpoint Comp M sight         $2-350

if you're happy it was a good deal.  to bad you had to trade away so much to get it though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate to say it, but IHMO I think you got screwed...badly.

You traded in a Armalite AR 15 and a HK USP, and a Ruger 10/22 and a SKS Plus $500 for a tricked out Bushy?  WTF?

I would have kept all those guns, what was wrong with the Armalite AR-15?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah man you got screwed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  If it had been me, I would have told the dealer to go screw.  Sounds like he just wanted some new toys.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Bad deal.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, by my rough calculations you gave hime about $2000 worth of stuff for a $1700 rifle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not gonna say you got screwed ('cause I'm sure it's not what you wanna hear) but I will say that you got yourself a fine AR-15 (I love my SIR), and in the end, that's all that really matters.
Having said that, kick your dealer in the nuts the next time you see him. [nuts]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
When did Denny's start selling guns? [;D]

Unfortunately, I'd say you got taken pretty good.  That Armalite was worth more than the Bushmaster IMO, unless it was well used or had problems.  Plus, all those other guns and cash!!  [V]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:12:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Dear Supply92y,

Don't feel bad.
We all make poor business decisions.
But, this is your lucky day!!
I have a sure-fire, fool-proof way of making your money back and then some!!!
I happen to own a bridge that connects New York City and New Jersey.
I'd be willing to sell you that bridge for a reasonable price.
It won't be cheap, but think of the money you can make charging people to cross the bridge!!!
Please IM me and we can work out the details !

Sincerely,

P.T. Barnum [;)]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the responses. I pretty much figured I was screwed once I looked back at the deal. I was interested in hearing opinions from fellow board members.

The weapons were in excellent shape.I decided I wanted a .45 pistol instead of the USP .40. I don't shoot the 10/22 or the SKS. In KC you can find both rifles for around $100.00 to $150.00. It just seemed easier, faster and safer to trade as opposed to selling to another individual.

The Armalite had a fixed carry handle (A2 configuration) and I developed an interest in the A3 configuration after looking at some of the great weapons on this site. The Bushmaster was in the A3 configuration with the additional gadgets and seemed like a deal at the time. Due to a divorce and successive military deployments, I have been out of touch with the values on AR market.

I've dealt several times with this dealer over the years and I have grown to trust them. My mistake.  I will deal with them from now on with a suspicious mind.

The deal was kind of an impulse thing. I am chalking it up as an expensive lesson learned. No more impulse buys and I will do my research first next time.

Now that I am a member of this fantastic website, I will depend on you guys to keep me out of trouble. [;)]

KODoc,

I'm leaving for Iraq in the next week or two. I will get with you when I get back about that great bridge you have for sale. Would you take a fancy Bushmaster A3 in trade? [;)]

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, It happens to the best of us !!
I've paid some Crazy $$$ for guns I had to have in the past and will do it again in the future. It's no big deal !! It's only $$.
Have fun with that Bushy and stay safe in Iraq !! [:)]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#13]
It took me almost 50 years to figure this out,
so pay attention...... [:D]

[size=5][b][red]NEVER SELL YOUR GUNS![/red][/b][/size=5]

Just aint no profit in it [:(]

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Been there, DONE THAT, along with a BUNCH of others on this board ....

It's a done deal, so just move on!  [;)]

Positive side to it, is recognize how you could've done the deal differently, which means you won't repeat it!

Anytime you trade in guns, you're going to get shafted HARD.

I learned the hard way that it's better in the end just to keep 'em, and save the money to get the weapon you want.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
don't know about the other stuff but these run around

Bushmaster XM15E2S Shorty A3  $800
A.R.M.S SIR M                 $400
A.R.M.S #40 Rear sight        $90
Aimpoint Comp M sight         $2-350

if you're happy it was a good deal.  to bad you had to trade away so much to get it though.
View Quote

You forgot the GGG flip up front sight, thats an easy $100 to add to your list.

A fair deal would have been to trade the Armalite and HK pistol plus $200 or trade all the guns and no cash....
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I hate to tell ya this, but you got hosed. You can buy a Blackwater signature Bushy with a SIR system and an ACE stock for only 1400 brand new...

[img]http://blackwaterusa.com/btw/guns/m4pic1.jpg
[/img]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]
yes
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Hee, hee,
Welcome to the club. Best thing I ever found was this site  and I still feel taken advantage sometimes at my local dealer.
Learn to trust only after you have done some HW first and avoid impulse buys.
Don't dwell on it too much, Live and Learn.
Another day another dollar, dealers need to make money too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Let me tell you about the $400 SKS I bought...

Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Yea, but just think of all the fun Denny will have with your money....  [banana]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#21]
You got it hard without the lube, OUCH!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#22]
No pun intended, but YOU screwed yourself and the dealer took advantage.However, if the gun makes you happy, then O.K.[8D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#23]
If you're Happy with your Bushmaster, then WTF...
you've got a good gun...

By the way, welcome to the MO board...
read your posts, and look forward to meeting you...

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#24]
uhhhh...best way to keep from selling your guns...let me see.....

engrave your name next to the serial number....then you can be sure you won't get much for them...works everytime for me....now I just have to keep getting more and more cash to afford the new toys I want....but I never have to worry about selling the older ones.
Mike
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top