Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 2:12:45 PM EDT
OK. this is one of those annoying threads from an AR-15 newbie (been shooting for 30+ years just new to the AR). Anyway, I need you to please help me spend $300.00. Background-wise I recently bought an AR from Del-Ton which is comprised of a DPMS lower with 6-position stock and DPMS upper with flat rail and heavy barrel as well as 3 30 round DPMS mags. I know I'm going to purchase two more 30 round mags and 1 20 rounder for the AR and 2 or 3 15 round mags for my Glock 19. So what, beside ammo for both, should I buy. Thanks in advance for your answers and patience. tf  

Edited due to peer pressure.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a bunch of ammo and learn to shoot it really well before buying any range commando accessories.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buy a bunch of ammo and learn to shoot it really well before buying any range commando accessories.

I'm something of a minimalist so the "commando" stuff won't happen. Although, I was thinking about a light down the road.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OK. this is one of those annoying threads from an AR-15 newbie (been shooting for 30+ years just new to the AR). Anyway, I need you to please help me spend $300.00. Background-wise I recently bought an AR from Del-Ton which is comprised of a DPMS lower with 6-position stock and DPMS upper with flat rail and heavy barrel as well as 3 30 round DPMS clips. I know I'm going to purchase two more 30 round clips and 1 20 rounder for the AR and 2 or 3 15 round clips for my Glock 19. So what, beside ammo for both, should I buy. Thanks in advance for your answers and patience. tf  

Before someone that is an ass chimes in we call the items marked in red mags or magazines here If I had $300 to spend I would determine what i was going to use my AR15 for and then decide. If it is only a range/fun gun I say get a case and mucho ammo!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Of all the bits I have bought for my SEBR (which isn't even here yet), I would say the first thing I would have bought in your situation would be an EoTech Holosight.  That pretty much burns up your $300 but will mount right to your flat top, and if you don't like it the resale value holds up well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
more parts to stat on another AR
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on EoTech or Aimpoint
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
-sling of your choice
-cleaning kit (otis ones are nice)
-ammo
-a case of some sort
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
ammo and a training class
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Forget the gunshow. All of the above right here on the EE at better prices ....and no parking or admission...my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 on WEILMD's reply. I have found better deals at the EE, and on the net. Just my 2 cents.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I forgot to mention that I have a nice padded case. Optics are probably going to have to wait since I want to be as proficient as possible with the iron sights prior to deciding if I want optics. Great suggestions so far, any more?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I forgot to mention that I have a nice padded case. Optics are probably going to have to wait since want to be as proficient as possible with the iron sights prior to deciding if I want optics. Great suggestions so far, any more?  

All I can do is reiterate that they are magazines, not clips. Correct nomenclature is really important in the (serious) world of guns.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I forgot to mention that I have a nice padded case. Optics are probably going to have to wait since want to be as proficient as possible with the iron sights prior to deciding if I want optics. Great suggestions so far, any more?  

All I can do is reiterate that they are magazines, not clips. Correct nomenclature is really important in the (serious) world of guns.

If someone asks me for "clips" for an AR, I'm liable to be a smart-ass and hand them a handfull of the stripper clips and magazine guides that a bunch of surplus 5.56x45 NATO Lake City ammo I bought years ago came on...  That would probably have 'em scratching their heads...  

Haven't seen much ammo packed like that (in bandoleers and 960 rounds to a canister) lately.    That was good stuff, think I am down to only one canister left in my SHTF stockpile.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't figure out why everyone has to be so anal about the word "clip."  My father was a Master Sgt in the Army for 30 years and always called them clips.  I grew up around Ft.Bragg and always heard them called clips.  When we have gunshows here, signs say clips for sale.

Get OVER IT.....There is more than one word for it.  It doesn't mean YOU are right and everyone else is wrong.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I can't figure out why everyone has to be so anal about the word "clip."  My father was a Master Sgt in the Army for 30 years and always called them clips.  I grew up around Ft.Bragg and always heard them called clips.  When we have gunshows here, signs say clips for sale.

Get OVER IT.....There is more than one word for it.  It doesn't mean YOU are right and everyone else is wrong.

I don't mind constructive comments and these seem to be genuine attempts at being helpful. No sweat.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:
1. 2 30 round mags and 1 20 rd mag for AR.

2. 2/3 15 round mags for G-19.

3. Cleaning kit for AR (Otis).

4. 5.56 and 9mm ammo (both target and defense).

5. Sling

Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That is exactly why I made the comments I made from the start! I knew someone here would give him grief over saying "clip" versus "mags".
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There is not more than one for it.

The problem is that they are two different things. Might as well call it a banana peel if you're going to call it a clip. Most do know what someone is talking about when they say clip, but it is still wrong.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Clip = device for holding ammunition
Magazine = device for feeding ammunition

simple simple simple.

As for the $300.

Step 1. Save $12 admission and $6 parking and forget the gunshow.

Step 2. Pick up some spare USGI mags from 44mag.com (great mags, great price)

Step 3. Pick up your spare Glock mags from CDNN or whomever you like. (Edit: just realized 44mag has Glock Mags as well)

Step 4. Order a case of ammo from ammoman.com or J&G sales etc.

Step 5. Go to the range and use up the ammo.

Step 6. Repeat steps 4-6  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Ammo, ammo, ammo!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy an Otis Cleaning Kit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:29:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

simple simple simple.

As for the $300.

Step 2. Pick up some spare USGI mags from 44mag.com (great mags, great price)

Step 3. Pick up your spare Glock mags from CDNN or whomever you like. (Edit: just realized 44mag has Glock Mags as well)

Step 4. Order a case of ammo from ammoman.com or J&G sales etc.

Step 5. Go to the range and use up the ammo.

Step 6. Repeat steps 4-6  hr

Just for clarification sake. Parking is free and admission is $7.00 ($6.00 w/my on-line coupon). See I'm already ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:05:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem is that they are two different things. Might as well call it a banana peel if you're going to call it a clip. Most do know what someone is talking about when they say clip, but it is still wrong.

I vote for banana peel clip is just wrong
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My father in law was in the Navy in the late 60's.  He said that this was the terminology they used then:  the magazine was the place on the ship where the ammo/ordnance was kept.  The clips went in the rifles.

I.E. "Sailor, go down into the magazine and bring back 25 clips for the M-16's."

Different nomenclatures for different situations.  YMMV, but I'm not going to get anal about it.

Oh, and for the most part, skip the shows if you're looking for deals.  You can get new stuff cheaper on the EE or by looking online for deals.  Every once in a while you may find a deal, but by then you've gone to enough shows that the admission and parking has more than made up the difference.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:23:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the help folks. Departing in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Forget the gunshow. All of the above right here on the EE at better prices ....and no parking or admission...my 2 cents.

+1. Plus you want get the snide attitude that I frequently get when I go to a gunshow. Most of the time the vendors act like you're bothering them. The guys on the EE will answers all your questions quickly, and most importantly - CORRECTLY!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

simple simple simple.

As for the $300.

Just for clarification sake. Parking is free and admission is $7.00 ($6.00 w/my on-line coupon). See I'm already ahead of the game. hr

Last Crossroads was $12 (11 w/ couplon) and $6 for parking.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#28]
If you are going to do some rage time buy several 20 round mags first, if you can from the EE, They work much better if you have to shoot off the bench. Buy 30 round mags from the EE. You can find them for 10 bucks or so [USGI] and save $$$ over the overpriced, often junk mags that seem to be usually sold at shows. Buy USGI mags ONLY, no junk USA, or any other steel crap mags. See if you can find some decent ammo at the show, NO Amerc crap, no Olympic junk. See if you can find some Q3131 or XM193 or 855, not the xm193PD or 855PD stuff. Start making some contacts with decent people who sell at the shows. It has paid off WELL for me as I have someone who is now a friend make me match ammo for $200 per K. He gets the brass back to reload for me and I get CHEAP match ammo that is extremely accurate. Shame it is wasted on me.

The EE can be your friend here. Some great dealers here that have saved me $$$$. AND they are great guys in general.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I went to a gunshow here in PA a few years ago that had a sign at the door that said "Adults $6.00/ Women and Children free."
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

simple simple simple.

As for the $300.

Just for clarification sake. Parking is free and admission is $7.00 ($6.00 w/my on-line coupon). See I'm already ahead of the game. hr

Last Crossroads was $12 (11 w/ couplon) and $6 for parking.  hr

That's unfortunate and some what expensive. While we're on the subject let me report what I picked up today:

1. 2 15 round magazines for my G-19.
2. 1 large surplus ammo box.
3. Otis 5.56 cleaning kit.
4. 1000 rounds of ADCOM 5.56 M855 (Hey caveman, thanks for the help w/deciding on the ammo.)

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#31]
if you want a light, go talk to brightflashlights in the industry forum

get yourself a Pentagon L2 with the tapeswitch and VLTOR mount.

Mount it the the new Yankee Hill Machine lightweight free floating forend

put a Tango Down battle grip under it and put the tapeswitch in there.

If you dont like that, sell any of the above on the EE

Buy more ammo first
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#32]
mags, ammo, parts for AR build

only things needed-
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:45:24 AM EDT
[#33]
weapon light

It makes for a great Home Defense addition.

wait..................

You'll need a rail to mount it on first.

and your $  bleeding begins

on the clip/mag thing...............

I was watching "First 48 Hours" a real life murder investigation show, and one of the Homicide detectives, speaking to a crime scene investigator, referred to a piece of evidence as a "slug".

The CSI quickly corrrecected him on national TV - cynically I may add - "Slugs are something you use  to cheat a slot machine, "that is a bullet"

You could read the Detectives bleeped-out comment......... "F**ing prick"  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top