Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:36:13 AM EDT
Just wondering what our military uses when they are carrying a load ie. ALICE or MOLLE pack?

I just noticed there is no real way I could carry with my cheap 3 point sling if I had a medium ALICE on my back. I could carry it on my chest but I have seen military guys carrying over a large load. What type of slings are they using?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:22:25 AM EDT
why can't you use your 3 point sling? are you trying to put the sling back and around the complete pack? I could understand if that were the case- there isn't enough slack to make the loop large enough, but I thought they could get pretty large, especially the cheap issue ones.

stickman's or someone has a thread on making your own tac sling for $10 or less. you could change the length to suit your needs for a buck or two more.

you probably just like to have your rifle lying flat against your back when you sling it rearward and you aren't going to get that with a pack on, it's going to have to be along side your pack and your arm will have to work a little harder to keep it behind you...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:51:32 AM EDT
Mine works like that. I just thought I saw some that would allow me to put the rifle ontop of the pack. Guess maybe that won't work.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:38:28 PM EDT
when hunting i wear a 3 point (muzzle up) under my pack. i like how the muzzle stays up pretty well, even if i slip (lots of pole patches w/ snow wear i hunt) it does a good job of keeping my rifle muzzle from going into the ground.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:32:25 PM EDT
Single point slings work great when wearing a pack.

Get a TD PR-4 adapter, a Wilderness single point sling & an extra Wilderness sling adapter for the front swivel & you can switch back & forth at ease.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:57:50 PM EDT
For non tactical/ninja operations (read: out for a hike with rifle),
would a 1pt. sling attached to the pack itself be a good or bad idea?

Major dynamic movement might be hindered a bit, but the load would be taken by the strap,
not a tangle of sling webbing...?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:41:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2005 10:42:39 AM EDT by Talyn]
BAD idea!

One way or another you are carrying the weight. If you attach your sling to your pack you lose it if you have to dump your pack, so alway keep them seperate. If you need to dump the pack you still have your sling system.

If you want the weight of the AR to be borne on your waist then get a Gunbearer System from Kifaru. The weight of the weapon is on the hips but instantly accessable. http://kifaru.net/MGgunber.htm
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:11:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Talyn:
BAD idea!

One way or another you are carrying the weight. If you attach your sling to your pack you lose it if you have to dump your pack, so alway keep them seperate. If you need to dump the pack you still have your sling system.

If you want the weight of the AR to be borne on your waist then get a Gunbearer System from Kifaru. The weight of the weapon is on the hips but instantly accessable. kifaru.net/MGgunber.htm

Hot link. I've got the Gunbearer on my Kifaru pack, and it works great! Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:38:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2005 10:51:23 PM EDT by Copperhead16]

Originally Posted By Scollins:

Originally Posted By Talyn:
BAD idea!

If you want the weight of the AR to be borne on your waist then get a Gunbearer System from Kifaru. The weight of the weapon is on the hips but instantly accessable. kifaru.net/MGgunber.htm

Hot link. I've got the Gunbearer on my Kifaru pack, and it works great! Highly recommended.

Do you guys know if the Kifaru gun bearer would work on other packs with a waist belt?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:24:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Copperhead16:

Do you guys know if the Kifaru gun bearer would work on other packs with a waist belt?

Yes, they make a universal version. It is listed on the same link, about half way down.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:51:37 AM EDT
Another approach:

http://www.centuriontactical.com/packs-gunslinger.htm

http://eberlestock.com/Tactical%20Backpacks.htm

I have two and they we love them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:43:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 7:43:52 PM EDT by Horik]
Another reason the good old 2 points are still the poop. Wear the sling under your pack or around your neck only. If you have to dump the pack you dont want it attached the weapon or have to remove the weapon to reomove the pack. You can still have the 2 point slung normally and if you need to dump pack or engage targets quickly just pop your arm out and only have the sling around the back of your neck. This works great for weak side shooting.

Top Top