Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2003 8:41:03 PM EDT
I was looking to replace the hammer spring and some other things and was looking for recommendations on a set of punches. What kind do you use? Any ideas? Just want a set of the ones I'll need to do about anything on my Preban Eagle Arms.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A cheap set from Sears will work fine for knocking out trigger and hammer pins. I bought a special set from Sinclair Shooting supplies, but they were only made to start the roll pins in the lowers and uppers. I have a brass drift I got from lyman years ago that also works great and does not marr the finish on the pin. Doesn't take much force to remove the pin. I also use a small brass hammer to tap the pins in and out. AMOS
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I suggest Sears too.  I have punches from Ace, Bushmaster and Brownells, and the Sears punches are the best.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
your hammer spring is just fine you just wanna take shit apart.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe...

Actually I picked up a case of 1000 loose rounds and I'm having some problems with duds. I get about one out of every 50 rounds, no big deal but I think it may be a hammer spring. If not, what am I out? I already have the hammer spring here. Maybe if it's not that big of a deal I'll go ahead and put that disconnect in as well [:)]

Go ahead and replace all of the springs [:P]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a Sears Craftsman set of punches a few years ago, they come in handy more often than I thought they would.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Maybe...

Actually I picked up a case of 1000 loose rounds and I'm having some problems with duds.
View Quote

Holy cow! Duds from a case of 1000 loose rounds and you suspect the problem is with your hammer spring?!

Dump that s#itty ammo. Your rifle's fine. :^)
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe...

Actually I picked up a case of 1000 loose rounds and I'm having some problems with duds. I get about one out of every 50 rounds, no big deal but I think it may be a hammer spring. If not, what am I out? I already have the hammer spring here. Maybe if it's not that big of a deal I'll go ahead and put that disconnect in as well [:)]

View Quote

I'm with Dave, your ammo or fire pin protrusion is the problem.. I'm firing 223/556 and 9mm with 1 leg of my hammer spring cut off to lighten trigger pull.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Well the bolt is new and the firing pin is brand new as well, so what else determines firing pin protrusion?

I think I'll stick with dud primers, because on average it's 1 out of 50 rounds, and some of this stuff is around 20 years old. Some of the bullets even have blue oxidation on them.

So I'm thinking it's the ammo now [:)]

Didn't have a single problem with Rem. UMC, SA Surplus, Q3131A, or tbk1's reloads.

I think I'll stick with "It's the ammo"

Thanks to all who replied, despite my ignorance on the spelling in the title.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe...

View Quote
you have a 2% failure rate and a 98% success rate.  I think the hammer spring and the rifle overall is working fine
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are still needing a set of punches, I ordered a set from Sportsmans Guide.  The set came with a small brass hammer and 12 punches of various sizes.  The punches are brass, steel, and nylon.  Here's a link to the set I ordered:

[url]http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=55625[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top