Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2008 3:38:01 PM EDT
I'm looking for a couple new BCG's and wanted to get some input before buying.  I want to know if any of you guys have found any advantage to the "high end" BCG's over some of the known good BCG's out there.

By known good BCG's I mean:

LMT
BCM
Colt
Noveske

By "High End" I mean:

Young NM
Denny's w/ Ion Bond

Please exclude the LMT enhanced carrier from this discussion, I do not want one at all.

What say you guys?  Should I look into the Young or Denny's BCG's or is it just extra money I won't benefit from?  Are a couple standard LMT BCG's the best way to go (probably what I'l' end up with otherwise)?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I would look at Denny's Super Duty or the Bravo Company carrier. Both are in the $130-140 range.

I have a Young NM M16 carrier and it is very nice, very easy to clean, no problems, but unless you really want it, you would be fine with one of the above.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I believe denny's is bcm's with an ion bond coating on it, so its up to you if the extra money is worth easier cleaning or not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I use BCM's and LMT's FA BCGs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would look at Denny's Super Duty or the Bravo Company carrier. Both are in the $130-140 range.

I have a Young NM M16 carrier and it is very nice, very easy to clean, no problems, but unless you really want it, you would be fine with one of the above.

Is the NM M16 carrier the one with extra bearing surface?  If so, does it seem to run smoother than other BCG's?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the Young NM BCG from Denny with the Super duty upgrade. I dont think you will find a better BCG.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
What about the MSTN BCG.  Young Carrier, LMT bolt, Ion Bonded?

I have a Denny's Super Duty.  It's a CMT.  As good as I've seen.  The website does say they're BCM now, though.  I'd check.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the NM M16 carrier the one with extra bearing surface?  If so, does it seem to run smoother than other BCG's?  Thanks.

I haven't noticed a huge difference.

I am however away from my ARs right now (in CA) and will have to get back to you on that. Tuesday/Wednesday-ish.

It is this carrier.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I like the Young NM BCG from Denny with the Super duty upgrade. I dont think you will find a better BCG.

I could be wrong, but from the pictures on his website it looks like he takes stripped NM BCGs and puts regular non-chromed parts on them, then sells them for the same price as the complete chrome BCGs from Young. I figure that if I am going to spend nearly $200 on a BCG, it is going to be all chromed, dammit.

Edit to add pic.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#9]
tag because I've been planing on getting a couple of high end BCGs, as I think it could make a difference.

But I've never had a problem with my Bushmaster (2000+ rnds) or CMMG (1000+ rnds).  So it always stays on the back burner.  I did have a model one WAY back that simply would not work.  I know better now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it does, it not much. The JP enterprise Tactical carrier has a much larger bearing surface and is super smooth.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could be wrong, but from the pictures on his website it looks like he takes stripped NM BCGs and puts regular non-chromed parts on them, then sells them for the same price as the complete chrome BCGs from Young. I figure that if I am going to spend nearly $200 on a BCG, it is going to be all chromed, dammit.

Edit to add pic.

global-tactical.com/ProductImages/products/prod_hi/YOUNG%20BOLT%20CARRIER%20AR15%20NM%20COMPLETE.WEBSITE.jpg

The one i got from Denny has a Chromed carrier key, red loctited and staked Very well, CMT complete Bolt "not chromed" with chrome silicon ejector spring, chrome silicon extra power extractor spring, and a crane o-ring. and the firing pin was chromed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#12]
LMT enhanced bolt carrier groop

I have them in all my AR's and love them. The extra extractor springs and other parts can be hard to find, I ordered some just to have them as replacement parts. $280.00EA is high tho.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have them in all my AR's and love them. The extra extractor springs and other parts can be hard to find, I ordered some just to have them as replacement parts. $280.00EA is high tho.

their carriers make me nervous, ive seen to many people have issues with them, but the bolts are real nice, the LWRC bolt is real nice too. being that the parts are harder to find sucks too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#14]
what problems with the carriers? I havent had or seen anyone with problems, the three gas port design is on the AR10 carriers also.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Colt is the best BCG available.  Period.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]
My Bushmaster Upper has a Bushmaster BCG in it because that is what came in it.  Same with my RRA and my CMMG, My LaRue Upper has a standard Stag BCG in it.  My spare BCG is also a standard Stag.  I am confident the standard Stag will do anything any other BCG will do.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The one i got from Denny has a Chromed carrier key, red loctited and staked Very well, CMT complete Bolt "not chromed" with chrome silicon ejector spring, chrome silicon extra power extractor spring, and a crane o-ring. and the firing pin was chromed.

The two I have bought came with a chromed bolt and excellent carrier key staking. I don't know if it was loctited and it doesn't matter to me. The military doesn't have issues without it and loctite is not part of the mil spec for attaching a carrier key. I think there was an o-ring but I can't be sure. I've never had a FTE with any of my ARs and I have about a dozen right now. I don't see the point of paying the same price for an inferior product. You'd be better off buying the stripped components yourself and putting it together yourself if you want to be sure that you get those springs and o-rings. Red loctite is cheap. The chromed bolt is well worth it when it comes to cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#18]
can you run a chrome bolt and blued/parked BCG?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
can you run a chrome bolt and blued/parked BCG?

sure you can. LMT sells the standard bolt carrier with the enhanced chrome bolt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hmmm...

Hmmmmm...go somewhere else.

Thanks for all the input guys.  Still deciding...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I think Quantico has standard LMT BCG on sale.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I apologize if it seemed as if I was trying to troll. Only trying to inject a bit of humor to an otherwise serious topic, with the intent to make someone smile.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I apologize if it seemed as if I was trying to troll. Only trying to inject a bit of humor to an otherwise serious topic, with the intent to make someone smile.

unfortunately you are in the wrong place. the tech forums are a beacon of truth in a sea of bullshit, keep the nonsense in the GD forums.

OP, the LMT BCGs are the best bang for your buck. I have several of them and they run 100%.

The BCM BCG's are well made and have some nice features like the upgraded extractor/ejector spring... I am not a big fan of CMT bolts though, so I tend to lean towards the LMT.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

their carriers make me nervous, ive seen to many people have issues with them, but the bolts are real nice, the LWRC bolt is real nice too. being that the parts are harder to find sucks too.

They sure are.  I stopped in a couple weeks ago and saw some pretty cool stuff there.  The coating on the LWRC carrier is smooth and slick.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

unfortunately you are in the wrong place. the tech forums are a beacon of truth in a sea of bullshit, keep the nonsense in the GD forums.

OP, the LMT BCGs are the best bang for your buck. I have several of them and they run 100%.

The BCM BCG's are well made and have some nice features like the upgraded extractor/ejector spring... I am not a big fan of CMT bolts though, so I tend to lean towards the LMT.

Right now I'm leaning toward the regular LMT F/A, and then maybe getting a Young NM for good measure too!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top