Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 3:02:15 PM EDT
Hey Guys,
I know it's not AR15 related, but I figured I'd see what you guys had to say anyway...
I picked up a few of the SOG 30 round CETME mags a couple of weeks back. The mags work great, but look like crap. Some gunky, brown kind of finish. Anyway, does anyone recommend anyone whose good, cheap & fast for mag refinishing? I just can't bear to have these things like this...  They look that bad.
Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of finish are you wanting to use?
Parkerization, Teflon or some other bake on finish? There are supposed to be some really good corosion/abrasion resistant finishes out there.

The only recommendation that I can give you from my experience is to make sure the are very clean before any finish is applied.  Some of the people on here and other boards have refinished mags with some fairly good results on their own. Although it is certain to be less of a hassle to send them off to be finished, especially if you aren't able to finish on you own for whatever reason.

I have used some black paint (high temp bbq grill) over parkerized G3 mags, it didn't turn out too bad.  Probably need to clean them really good before you finish them. I had some issues with that oily coating leaking through the paint I used, after cleaning them with dish soap and steaming hot water.  

I have also tried brownells teflon moly bake on coating on some of the blued british SA80 mags, liked it really well.  Using a toaster oven to bake the finish and it has flaked off in a few places leading me to believe that I should have used a hotter oven.  I don't think the finish bonded to the surface properly after following the directions to the letter.

Do they (SOG) still have these mags available?

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tips, but I'm looking to send them out for refinishing as I don't have the talent/equiptment needed to do the job well myself.  I ordered the mags from SOg about 10 days ago, and they had plenty in stock.  They were $35 a pop I think.  Plus, they're factory Spanish cetme.  No aftermarket junk.  The down side is that they're ugly though.  I mean really ugly.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top