Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 8:09:24 AM EDT
I'm trying to finish up my first build and I still need a barrel. I'd like a 16" mid-length gas system, preferably M4 contour barrel. I'm looking to keep it under $150. I'm basically just gonna use this gun for some Coyote hunting and general range shooting (I don't need some super nice and really accurate barrel) so I don't want to spend a ton on the barrel, but would still like a decent one for pretty cheap. If you know of any that'll fit this that'd be awesome.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:27:56 AM EDT
I've had pretty good luck with barrels from here...
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:28:46 AM EDT
Green Mountain
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:37:31 AM EDT
Immediately green mountain comes to mind, but there are tons of threads you could visit that gives a nice list of barrels that would work for what you're looking for
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:28:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:41:56 AM EDT
Little more than your budget but u can get a kit from Del Ton that has everything upper forward or tell them u want a stripped barrel only. They are great barrels. Just tell them what u need. They are on all my builds great company
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:08:43 PM EDT
Kind of a side note, is there really a huge difference between 4140 and 4150 steel? And is it worth the money in the long run as far as barrel wear and replacement to get the 4150?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:10:15 PM EDT
ARFCom has barrels also. I am trying the 14.5" version in a M4. clone in progress.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:13:18 PM EDT
On the side note:

I guess it depends more on budget, what you are doing with the rifle and how many rounds u think you will shoot. I can't imagine the regular guy really noticing a difference on the 2 types of steel.

That's just my opinion. Honestly I did not pay much attention when I bought my barrels.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:52:07 PM EDT
check ar15performance.com... decent pricing and good rep.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:21:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2014 8:25:39 PM EDT by Dr69er]

"Kind of a side note, is there really a huge difference between 4140 and 4150 steel? And is it worth the money in the long run as far as barrel wear and replacement to get the 4150?"

It depends on the price difference...? 4150/41V50 Alloy steel is considered Ordnance grade for firearms [Mil-Spec] it is used a lot for Machine Gun barrels[effectively]...It
is among the strongest, hardest, and has a very high melting point [resists high temps w/o failing] and is a erosion resistant alloy steel.

For most practical purposes the difference is not huge, but it is measurable...this assumes that the quality/grade [certified by the mill] is the same and that it
has been properly heat treated to equal standards...
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:21:55 PM EDT
Green Mountain if you want chrome lined

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ar-15-m16-m4-rifle-barrels/
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:57:07 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:
Green Mountain if you want chrome lined

View Quote
+1 for Green Mountain. My first build was a military style 5.56, at that time I had not yet caught the dreaded BRD and was trying to stay within a tight budget. So I bought a GM 20", 1in8 twist, govt profile barrel for $150. I assumed because it was chrome lined it would produced mediocre accuracy, which turned out to be incorrect. Actually, when I contribute my part as a shooter, which is not always, the 5.56 GM barrel routinely produces 10-round groups inside an inch at 100 yds with its pet handload, see example below. Highly recommended, plus they presently have a good selection in stock, including the M4 style the OP wants. - CW

" />
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:48:52 AM EDT
I just got my Aero Precision barrel in last night, and man, I am pretty impressed. I also got a blem upper (cannot find anything blem about it) and test fitting it all together it fits perfectly.

Don't have any range/accuracy reports yet, but it is one sweet looking barrel.

And it's on sale!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:11:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 10:15:04 AM EDT by Bretshooter]
Originally Posted By Dr69er:

"Kind of a side note, is there really a huge difference between 4140 and 4150 steel? And is it worth the money in the long run as far as barrel wear and replacement to get the 4150?"

It depends on the price difference...? 4150/41V50 Alloy steel is considered Ordnance grade for firearms [Mil-Spec] it is used a lot for Machine Gun barrels[effectively]...It
is among the strongest, hardest, and has a very high melting point [resists high temps w/o failing] and is a erosion resistant alloy steel.

For most practical purposes the difference is not huge, but it is measurable...this assumes that the quality/grade [certified by the mill] is the same and that it
has been properly heat treated to equal standards...
View Quote

Chrome lining or nitriding makes the difference irrelevant. So if I could get a 4140 barrel with either treatment for the price of an unlined/treated 4150 barrel, I wouldn't hesitate to choose it.

Edited to add: I would jump on that Aero barrel if I needed one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:06:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 11:07:04 AM EDT by Marc1980]
http://www.classicfirearms.com/accessories?caliber=9&cat=46
I have bought three barrels from here. They are not top of the line but they ARE definitely shooters! The company is great to deal with. I now expect others will come and tell you these are not worth your time, but I will tell you they are definitely worth your money if you are looking for a good, cheap barrel.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:47:05 PM EDT
+1 for Green Mountain. Just ordered mine for my first build.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:11:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 5:14:01 PM EDT by Mad-Machinist]
I've bought hundreds of Green Mountian barrels......and will buy MANY more in the future....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:57:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mad-Machinist:
I've bought hundreds of Green Mountian barrels......and will buy MANY more in the future....
View Quote

What is the draw to these barrels, other than cheap/inexpensive thus better rate of return on investment if selling.

The one group above is impressive, but that is just one group. Are these better than some that are just $50 more, or just less expensive.

At this price though, wouldn't mind a couple in spare stock.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:37:15 AM EDT
Thanks for all the replies guys. On another side note, what extra parts like the barrel nut do I need to assemble the barrel to the upper? And do most of these places come with those parts or do I need to buy them separately?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:14:55 AM EDT
Aside,

If you're near Charlotte I'd be happy to let you use my shop and help you out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:30:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By acwoot:
Thanks for all the replies guys. On another side note, what extra parts like the barrel nut do I need to assemble the barrel to the upper? And do most of these places come with those parts or do I need to buy them separately?
View Quote

Depends on what configuration you're building, that is what handguard, etc.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:55:12 AM EDT
Define "good" for your application. To me, a "good" barrel is one that's well made and well finished - which includes being properly chambered, properly rifled, and with everything properly aligned. Some examples are the barrels Voodoo Innovations makes; they're not just properly dimensioned, they're Melonited inside and out, and not terribly expensive either.

Defining "inexpensive" is usually easier than defining "good," but that's just because it's easier to quantify how much you want to spend. I have seen $100 AR barrels that people say are really good, but I haven't played with them.

So I'd advise shopping around and seeing what you find. If you see something near your price point, look at what comes with it (do you need a complete barrel (barrel nut and delta ring, FSB, etc.) or a stripped barrel?), and then see what others have had to say about it. It's not a science, but it's not "high art," either.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you go with.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:54:41 AM EDT
I'm probably about to go with the ARFCom barrel. I can't imagine this site would sell a crap barrel and it's nitride treated and 4150 steel. Thanks for y'alls help.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:28:38 PM EDT
I've been very happy with Green Mountain (Product and service)
Top Top