Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2005 12:18:29 PM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

Since my family is out of town this week I've been hitting the range as often as I can before work. Oddly enough I've been leaving my pimped out ninja blasters at home, instead opting to bring my more basic carbines and handguns.

What the hell is happening to me?

My almost stock Colt LE6920 and Rock River A2 trunk gun have been getting the majority of the trigger time, while my precision and distance rigs have been gathering dust in the safe

Somebody knock some sense into me.

Been shooting these:

Sans ACOG

And ignoring these:
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're neglecting those rifles, send the ACOGs to me... I'll make them feel loved.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you're neglecting those rifles, send the ACOGs to me... I'll make them feel loved.

+1 I could use a Colt lower too...*hint hint*

ETA: Maybe you're just growing more attached to the KISS rifles instead of the more tricked out ones?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Your instincts are taking over, compelling you to work on basic skills with the basic weapons.

Happens to the best of us
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]
If you send me the stocks, I would make sure that they don't get moldy.  I've heard that they need to be extended once in awhile or else they go bad.  I'd give em back...honest.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]
i've been shooting open sights lately too.............

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, nostalgia does kick after a while

I can give that SF a good home, if needed
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
you've lost it!!

But I hardly would call shooting those two babies as "slummin'"

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I'd like to think you've finally come to your senses, and realized how many bucks you spent that could have been put to better use buying ammo to shoot the less gimmicked up pieces.

But then, I'm enough of a KISS guy to think that a flashlight on an AR is too damn much crap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh sheet!  I just LOVE the Browning A4!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Back to the basics.

Max
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i've been shooting open sights lately too.............

tinypic.com/b6vjuu.jpg

You stole my chair and my brother's 1919!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I feel your pain, I keep pulling out my basic ARs as well.....  of course my basic is a little substandard to yours....

However, I do console myself with my cheapness, and relying on the kindness of others.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm the same as you, when I feel nostalgic about my former SP1 rifle, I shoot my 20-inch A2 rifle.

Other times I want to practice tactical methods, I use my M4gery.

Sometimes I don't even use my ARs, I fire my other rifles like AKs, Galil, AUG, SKS and M1 Garand.

The good thing about having other guns, you won't get bored.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
the scope are a must, but lately I am just like you. been building/shooting my plain jane carbines, right now I would only pick up my basic of basic M4's.
BTW what is the light mount you have on this rig? I have been looking for this kind of setup for awhile. looks like it only connects to the FSB.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the scope are a must, but lately I am just like you. been building/shooting my plain jane carbines, right now I would only pick up my basic of basic M4's.
BTW what is the light mount you have on this rig? I have been looking for this kind of setup for awhile. looks like it only connects to the FSB.
home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Trunk_AR1.JPG

The light is a M962 with an SW02 tailcap. The mount is an ARMS #17 Trilock mount on what could be one of many Front sight housing rails.

As for dumping all my goodies-Never happen. I do however remove My reflex sights and flip up My BUIS at every range or drill session to make sure I'm still proficient with My irons.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I personally use iron-sights only because I cant afford or maybe feel right to spend 7-8-9 hundred dollars on a ACOG. I have a aimpoint ml2 but it is collecting dust in my parts boxes, and the only scope that sees the range nowadays is my Osprey 4x20.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Quoted:
home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Trunk_AR1.JPG

Donovan, that mount is from RBPrecision but I don't see it on their site anymore. I found an identical rail for you at BravoCompany. Here's the link LINK
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#18]
thanx cjan
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
CJan, don't feel so bad. Sometimes the simplest things bring you the most pleasure.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sometimes the simplest things bring you the most pleasure.

www.image4u.org/jimtash/2003_0101Image0009nMediumnn2n.JPG

Indeed they do

I've truly enjoyed my "back to basics" range work this week. I'm not sure how to describe it, but irons feel "honest" somehow. It's been very rewarding to ring steel this week without the aid of optics. It reminds me of why I started shooting in the first place-to relax and enjoy myself without worrying about tiny little groups and bullet drop compensators.

That doesn't mean I'm going to dump my optics on the EE tomorrow, but it's nice to know that I can still hit targets without the aid of a $1000 ACOG.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Absolutely, positively just KISS...its the best.  You're just becoming more of a purist as you "mature".....hahhahahhaaa "Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, 'What should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" --Samuel Adams
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#22]
There is nothing wrong with using Irons!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#23]
you think you have it bad.................
..........................lately i havent been able to scroung enough time to go to the range
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#24]
There is NO cause for doubt in your recent purist approach.

I went through the same recently with a "Purist or Throwback" mid-life crisis.  
I've shot nothing but my 2 SP-1's for the past 2 months.

Like anything this will probably go in cycles.  Don't give up on the more decked out rifles just yet!  

And if you are like me you are probably good for at least a half-dozen mid-life crises...caliber fever comes next!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I have never understood why people need so much stuff on a gun.. I like it simple..

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, you have two hands................shoot both of them at the same time!..........BTW, cool pics guys.............nice basic rifles..........I have my own basic Eagle Arms, and it's a sweet shooter
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top