Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/6/2005 1:01:59 AM EDT
Hello every one.

Ive been here at this site for the past week(wish I new about it sooner) and after seeing the thread on assembling a AR I figured it was about time I do one my self.

Im not new to AR's. Ive owned 9 over the last 12 years but theyve all been production guns and I want to build something this time with my own hands and save a little $$$ doing it.

This is what Im gonna go with.

STAG lower receiver(stripped) $85.00
STAG or RRA (lower parts kit) $59.00
STAG M4 upper (complete with bolt/handle etc) $429.00
VLTOR or 6 ps stk $68.00 for the 6 pos. Still looking around at VLTOR stock's.

I'll probably use the hand guards I took off my Bushy M4 izzy for a while till I score a A.R.M.S. rail and look around for it.

Planning on duracoating it myself to.

Any words of advice I or hints.

My Bushy's

Older pic(will post new one later)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/kbi/DSC00350.jpg
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:48:48 AM EDT
You might be able to save a little $$$ by checking out Del-ton, You can get complete uppers, parts kit, 6pos stock, furniture for ~500. Check out their kit section.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:58:13 AM EDT
sounds like your on the right path.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:30:38 AM EDT
Go for it!!! Just be careful with that Pivot pin detent spring. That thing will fly across the room if you are not careful. When I built my M4, I was crawelling around on my hands and knees looking for that thing. Was lucky to find it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:38:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kbi:
Any words of advice or hints?

Buy the right tools and it should be a breeze.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:45:22 AM EDT

Buy the right tools and it should be a breeze.

Im definetly getting a Armoers action block,lower reciever block and barrel wrench(with the stock tool)and a punch set.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:07:02 AM EDT
good luck. i just built my first ar. got a complete kit from model 1 sales and a dpms lower from brownells. the only problem with the kit was the spring for the front detent was to long i had to cut it down to get the detent pin to fit right. where in va? maybe we can get some people together to go out shooting.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:26:42 AM EDT

good luck. i just built my first ar. got a complete kit from model 1 sales and a dpms lower from brownells. the only problem with the kit was the spring for the front detent was to long i had to cut it down to get the detent pin to fit right. where in va? maybe we can get some people together to go out shooting.

Arlington is my home but shooting is something I need to get back into. Ive been working to much this past year and havent had to much free time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:10:26 PM EDT
Might give some consideration to the M&A Parts kit. IIRC, it was $464 and my build with a Stag strippedlower was $575. Shoots great as well.

As for the front pivot pin spring/detent, if you don't get the tool, assemble that part INSIDE a large ziplock bag with a hole cut in it for the needle nose pliers. I tried about 100 times and every time it took off but the bag retained the parts. Try #101 did the trick!

Good luck and post pics!
~m38a1

www.m-aparts.com (and look under M16/AR15 Kits, then 5.56, then configuration)
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:48:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By alpo:
Go for it!!! Just be careful with that Pivot pin detent spring. That thing will fly across the room if you are not careful. When I built my M4, I was crawelling around on my hands and knees looking for that thing. Was lucky to find it.

Luckily mine only flew a few feet and I found it quite easy, that spring can be evil.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:59:48 PM EDT
Update on my build.

Well folks this last thursday I finally got a phone call from my dealer saying my lower was in and so was my upper so I went and picked them up.

Lower and O/D stock & grip and RRA parts kit.

But heres the funny part Im right handed and look at what I got .

I didnt know I was left handed.

Guess Im waiting a bit longer to complete my project.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:58:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kbi:
I didnt know I was left handed.

Guess Im waiting a bit longer to complete my project.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. I've never seen photos of a lefthanded upper before; only heard discussions about them. I guess they have to reverse the ejection port cover so it doesn't interfere with the bolt catch.
Top Top