Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:25:35 PM EDT
Well, as I was driving by a golf course headed home, I noticed some golfiers placing a small sight to their eyes. So I stopped by and walked up to them (they kept staring me, probably thinking who the hell is this guy) and I asked them what they were using (I'm naturally curious). They said that it magnifies 3x and helps them to see where their balls have landed. So I walk to my care and begin to think.

If I could get one and place a set of scope rings on it and attatch it onto the rear of the Aimpoint, would it "work"?

Can anyone give me a link to these products? I don't even know their official name
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried searching a site for a nation-wide sporting goods dealer like Dick's or MVP? I'd bet you'd find info on them there.

As to whether or not it would work, you could always buy one at a local store, try it out without mounting it and, if it doesn't work, just return it for a refund.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If I recall, it is called a Monocular.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If I recall, it is called a Monocular.  

Ah!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried a Google search for "golf scope" and came up with a few. Prices range from $20 on up. Radio Shack even carries one. Looks like average length is about 3 inches, did not see a reference to tube diameter so I don't know if you could mount one with 1" rings. 30mm rings perhaps? Might be a neat idea to try out!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Trying to find one in 3x, but no joy so far...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You should also research the monocular's eye relief. Most golf mono's have virtually none (held to face). Not good when you mount it to a rifle....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You should also research the monocular's eye relief. Most golf mono's have virtually none (held to face). Not good when you mount it to a rifle....

Crap, totally forgot about that
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Features: 5 x 20 in 362' field of view at 1000 yards, rubber covering, soft-sided case with belt clip.

Case Imprint Area: 1-1/2" x 1/2"
Monocular Tool Imprint Area: 1-1/2" x 1/2"

wonder if this one would work???
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'd love to see one of these things jerry rigged to a rifle...

Hehehe.  I did that with a cheap 8x monocular.  Yes it works - but it was a PITA because the ring height was never right so the reticule was always near the edge of the scope's display.  So I never tried to fire it as getting a good sight picture wasn't easy.

A 30mm ring is needed - Now if I could find a 30mm ring that puts the scope on the same plane as the irons it would work much better.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I tried one our, it had a great sight picture however no eye releif, just like bio's,,,,I think a small cheap compact rifle scope will work just as well, no room on my setup to try it,,,,
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top