Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:07:33 PM EDT
I posted this in "Armory" under "Genral", but I think I placed it in the wrong forum. Sorry, new here. If any Mods read this and don't mind, please delete the thread I posted erroneously in the wrong forum, Thanks.

Hello all,
Well, I've done my homework, this site has been invaluable in guidance and information leading me to my first AR purchase, but I would like to ask for your help in answering a few remaining questions.

I have found an M4 lenght rifle for sale at a local firearms store for $860. The lower is stamped Superior Arms(which I have never heard of in my search for info) the upper is RRA. The barrel is 14.5" 1/9 twist and chrome lined. Comes with one 20rd mag. They have 30rd mags available for $19.99.

The two close shooting ranges are only 500 yards long, and after talking with a few customers in the store that bought their AR's from this store and shoot at these local ranges, they have been very pleased with the performance and reliability of the rifles they have purchased. Of the two customers I spoke with, the owner and his on, the longest barrel that any of these shooters use is 16" and they said they usually knock down bowling pins at 300yds with standard iron sights, one uses a flip up rear.

Also, this rifle comes with an optional flip up rear sight(which would replace the carry handle rear sight and remove it from the sale), but changes the price to $899. Personally I prefer the carry handle standard rear sight....and the $39 discount.

From what I've found in my research, I should be looking for at least a 16" barrel, chrome lined for durability and longevity and a 1/9 twist so that M193 or M855 can be fired without problems. The only thing this rifle is lacking is 1.5" in barrel length....I've met some girls that would use a lack of 1.5" to make serious decisions about a relationship...but we're talking about me here. Although, this purchase will become a relationship, so I want to make sure I do everything I can to start out right.

Please let me know if I am forgetting anything, or if you any any advice for a first timer(I've read most of it scouring these forums)

Thanks
MikeB
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a Frankengun at a complete rifle price. You can buy a complete Bushy for less than that price and it is a better rifle. Steer away from that shop. IMO that rifle is worth about $750 or less. Also $20 for a mag is a ripoff. You can buy them here on the EE for less than $15 all day long.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]
go with a brand new complete bush before that one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
RRA doesn't make 14.5" and if your barrel is 14.5" by some other manufacturer  is has a permanently attached phantom or similar long flash hider or it is a short barrel rifle (NFA)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
RRA doesn't make 14.5" and if your barrel is 14.5" by some other manufacturer  is has a permanently attached phantom or similar long flash hider or it is a short barrel rifle (NFA)

You know I missed that. RRA does indeed not make a 14.5" bbl. So if it is an RRA upper who knows what the bbl is. Steer VERY clear.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the advice!
After reading the above I have been looking on gunbroker.com, and you guys are right, NIB Bushmasters are around $800-900. I'm going to see if I can find one near me for around the same price.

I'll post pics as soon as I own my new rifle.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Consider buying a Stag lower half and Stag upper half from Bravo Company, Eagle or others on this board. Upper $475 from bravo. I bought a new Stag lower half w/RRA m4 stock for $219.

You would end up with an excellent CMT made chome-lined M4 type carbine for about $750, Incl. shipping.

RRA receivers and other components are made by CMT/Stag so you can get an idea of quality.
Plus Stag now offers Proof load tested/magnetic particle examined bolts if you ask. (G&R has them)

Even Bushy, Armalite and RRA don't offer that.

I wish they had a setup like this for this price when I bought my first ARs

This for around $750 - chrome 1/9 bore, top notch parts.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#8]
i wouldnt buy from that shop

sounds like some low budget build that they are trying to pawn off on a dumbass

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top