Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2006 2:56:26 PM EDT
Been playing with shotguns for 4 years (now have 4)
Been playing with pistols for over a year (now have six)
Been collecting military surplus rifles for about 7 months (now have over 30)

So... my interest has been peeked, and I'm going to attempt to build my first AR.

I am very mechanically inclined... and if YOU guys can build your own... why can't I.

I figure I'd go whole hawg and build myself a CMP-legal nice match rifle...  I recently joined the local pistol and rifle club and have a 50, 100, and 300 meter range available close to home.

I was going to build off of a Mega lower receiver (non-gator grip version) but after attempting to call and e-mail Clinton at Carricoz's Armory for over two weeks with no luck, I gave up.  Heard the Mega lowers were sweet, but I'm tired of calling.

So, today, I called Eagle Firarms and ordered...

Rock River Arms stripped Lower
RRA lower parts kit with RRA national match trigger (back ordered)  :(
A2 buttstock kit
Set of punches
Brass/nylon hammer
Receiver vice block
Two 20-round mags with green followers

Still need... butt-stock wrench
Nice leather sling

I will mate the lower to a White Oaks Armament CMP Match upper (backordered for a few weeks as well).

If all goes well... I may convince the wife she needs one too and build her something to "plink" with.  I might attempt the upper build the second time around...

Updates as parts arrive and the build progresses...

Later...

Karl
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Update... ordered a nice black leather sling from Turner.  Picked up the buttstock wrench at the local gun show for $4, ordered a nice Otis cleaning buttstock cleaning kit, and ordered some more 20 and 30 rd mags with magpul followers  from 44mag...

Oh... and bunch of ammo... some surplus, some Wolf 62gr, and some Black Hills 77gr SMK!  :)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the lower went together just fine...  no launched detent pins or springs.

Lower = RRA receiver, RRA lower parts kit, RRA NM trigger, A2 buttstock

Fairly straighforward

Upper = John Holliger called last week and said they were shipping the White Oak Armament upper!  :)  Was hoping to have it yesterday or today.  :(

Thanks for everyone's help and for getting the buttstock bolt dimensions to me (think I might have accidentally tossed it when the parts arrived)

Here she be... (nothing specatcular, but it's my first)

http://www.my914-6.com/guns/ar15match.jpg
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Where's the rear take down pin?
Looks good ! Nothing like building you own rifle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Aaahh... you're right.  I didn't install it because I was missing the buttscrew.  When I finally got the buttscrew I was so happy, I forgot about the rear takedown pin...

Would have figure it out when the upper came...

duh!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:53:53 AM EDT
[#5]
John is supposed to be shipping my complete upper pretty soon here also. Please let me know how long it takes to get to you because I might call and upgrade to next day shipping. I cant freaking wait any longer... Its getting warm and all of my friends are planning huge "noise maker" trips up north and I dont even have my gun built yet.

ETA: I went with the 20 inch barrel instead of the 26 match barrel for my first gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Well it's all together... passes safety check and function checks just fine.

I still have to "clean" it up, as it's a bit greasy from CLP and gun oil... but here it is...

http://www.my914-6.com/guns/ar152.jpg

Irish... I believe John called last Thursday about the upper shipping and it arrived today (Tuesday)... so not too long...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking good !!! You will like that stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The sucker is heavy too...

I like the small aperature sights!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
You also need to get the weight for the rear and forearm it should equal out the balance. Then you will see heavy...LOL

Weights
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top