Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 1/13/2008 7:41:51 AM EST
Does any manufacturer out there make a magazine block to take the Glock mags like the Oly factory rifles?

How does Oly do it?

Any Oly owners out there with a digi-cam?

Pease post pics!
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 9:48:19 AM EST
I am not aware of anyone making a mag block that will take glock mags.
The Oly 9mm that uses Glock mags is a dedicated lower not a mag block.
I have a buddy that has one and it runs fine but not any better than my RRA.
Also the mag catch and bolt release are different than a standard AR and kind of sharp and hard on the fingers is you are not careful. The last time I check with Oly they were like 8 months out to get one.

Good luck with you purchase they are all fun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 11:10:01 AM EST
thanks for the reply

id like to check out some close ups of an oly glock lower, to see how they did this.

Link Posted: 1/13/2008 12:13:24 PM EST
How's this?

Oly K9GL on left, regular AR on right
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 3:14:57 PM EST
Olympic did make a block. It was 2 halves that went in from the top of the mag well. There was a cut in the upper to clear the flanges at the top of the magwell. Glock mags needed to have a cut in the side for the mag catch.

Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:50:49 PM EST
awesome!

thanks for the pics.

Link Posted: 1/15/2008 10:18:10 AM EST
Anyone else besides Oly make an AR lower(or block for magwell) that takes Glock mags? I think MGI is working on it but dont know when it is due to be out. Anyone else?

Can you still get the blocks that Oly made for GLOCK mags?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 5:30:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By bulldog563:
Anyone else besides Oly make an AR lower(or block for magwell) that takes Glock mags? I think MGI is working on it but dont know when it is due to be out. Anyone else?

Can you still get the blocks that Oly made for GLOCK mags?

Thanks.

I called Oly the yesterday about the blocks - they said no way jose - havent been made for a while.

I really want a 9mm AR but the thing thats holding me back is having to buy a shitload of uzi mags to feed it - when i already have a shitload of Glock mags.

I really dont want a complete Oly rifle either - so Im torn.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 8:00:08 AM EST
You could get some Glock blocks made.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 11:37:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By usamark:

Who would I go to for this? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 6:40:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2008 6:42:57 PM EST by scottMO]
I had one and it shot great. It accepts every mag from the G-26/27 mag all the way to the 31/33rd mags. I ended up selling it and getting/building a SBR AR15. I really didnt like the BHO as it was very clunky looking but worked as advertised. The mag release was different but I could have lived w/that.

You can see the BHO bar in this pic:

An OK article on the K9Gl:

K9GL talk on a Oly Arms forum
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:45:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2008 12:47:48 PM EST by jim]

Originally Posted By bulldog563:

Who would I go to for this? Thanks

a compentent machinist. i'm in for 2 sets of them.
i'll check with a machinist here. HOWEVER machinist are like painters, and gunsmiths.
2-4 weeks is realistically 6 months
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:48:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:13:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By HardShell:

Originally Posted By Social_Zombie:

I really want a 9mm AR but the thing thats holding me back is having to buy a shitload of uzi mags to feed it - when i already have a shitload of Glock mags.

I really dont want a complete Oly rifle either - so Im torn.

Any particular reason(s)?

Just asking because most of us here who have them seem to really like them.

Sounds like he has bought into the BS that all OLYs are shit. This is not the case, I have several and never have had any issues.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 11:09:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 4:21:15 AM EST

Olympic did make a block. It was 2 halves that went in from the top of the mag well. There was a cut in the upper to clear the flanges at the top of the magwell. Glock mags needed to have a cut in the side for the mag catch.

i12.tinypic.com/822s31w.jpg
i14.tinypic.com/81hhssm.jpg
i18.tinypic.com/6kqjqm9.jpg

are the oly 9mm uppers for the glock mags the same as the sten mag uppers with the pin/spring ejector. it looks like it in your photo but just confirming
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 7:32:24 AM EST
AFAIK they are the same with the exception of the clearance milled out of the upper to accomodate the magblock flanges. The upper will run with the sten mags, but there will be an open slot on each side of the rifle. You can see the slot in the first pic with the rifle cracked open.

I agree w/ the social zombie...I'd rather have another standard lower that could be used for something else other than only Glock mags. The blocks are also good for NFA users since you can't run glock mags FA any other way.

FWIW, the OLY uppers have run great in my experience. No broken parts (even extractors)...although you'll be helping things to store the upper with the bolt carrier out of it so the ejector isn't held in the bent down position.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 7:44:02 AM EST
Nothing at all against Oly completes.

Like usamark said I want to be able to use a standard lower.

Not sure if this is going to happen since the whole 9mm thing requires specific parts.

Was really just musing about the glock blocks but it looks like i created a monster.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 8:08:52 AM EST
The glock mag blocks should be pretty easy to make as there aren't any moving parts. They're just 2 pieces of aluminum. I'm surprised no one's made them up already.

The flange across the top could be moved to below the magwell, a sort of mag funnel like that Uzi mag adapter that runs unmodified UZI mags. That would eliminate the need for the clearanced upper. You'd need to add a retaining device like the spring detent or something. Maybe the upper flange could be made smaller and stay on top, but wouldn't require the upper to be cut....I don't know...just talking out my ass and throwing sh$t at the wall hoping something will stick.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 8:13:21 AM EST

The glock mag blocks should be pretty easy to make as there aren't any moving parts. They're just 2 pieces of aluminum. I'm surprised no one's made them up already.

The flange across the top could be moved to below the magwell, a sort of mag funnel like that Uzi mag adapter that runs unmodified UZI mags. That would eliminate the need for the clearanced upper. You'd need to add a retaining device like the spring detent or something. Maybe the upper flange could be made smaller and stay on top, but wouldn't require the upper to be cut....I don't know...just talking out my ass and throwing sh$t at the wall hoping something will stick.

Maybe those fellas over in the Aluminum Lost Foam Casting Thread could give this a shot!

Link Posted: 1/19/2008 10:00:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2008 10:00:51 AM EST by wolfpak]
Same here. A BIG +1. No problems... I have several AR's so I'm not concerned about switching out my lower. I like the dedicated lower because you dont have to worry about mag block tweeking and its one solid mag well. 33 rounders fit nicely and are cheap, plus you dont have to tweek the mags to make them work. I can only speak for mine and its all good

Originally Posted By Noxspector:
Love my Glock/Oly 9mm AR
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 10:51:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:51:32 AM EST
Heavy CAR buffer

Originally Posted By Noxspector:
The only issue that I've had with my Oly/Glock lower is that the bolt latch gets pretty beat up. It's either the weight of the bolt or the velocity of the bolt returning to battery. And when the bolt latch goes up after last round it gets slammed pretty hard.

Are you guys running different buffers?

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:47:56 AM EST
Correct. Dedicated lower. Not a block. I waited 90 days for my 9mm glock oly..Got is early last week and got rid of it yesterday or I would take the picks for you. There are addl parts on it and they are sharp.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:47:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2008 11:02:31 AM EST by wolfpak]
Bolt Hold Open Bar, has some sharp edges. OLY could have rounded those off a bit.

Magazine Release Bar (I drilled and tapped my bar and attached a magazine release button; Its much better than a flat bar OLY designed and its easy to do and makes a world of difference).

Inside of the upper receiver. Note the shiney cut out. Thats where the Bolt Hold Open Bar comes into play. Extractor also seen. Some say its a week point but so far so good. You can switch it out w/ the .45 extractor if needed.

Magwell. No Blocks. OLY did a nice job with this one.

Top of Magwell

Here are some pics with magazine loaded and unloaded in the lower receiver.

Enjoy the PICS

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:14:13 PM EST
awesome pics --- THANKS!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 2:06:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2008 2:08:46 PM EST by wolfpak]
No problem. Glad you liked them. I dont think OLY is ever gonna really work on getting this model top notch. They are busy with big contracts I'm sure. There are some design flaws mostly that need to go back to the drawing board but as for function it works flawless for me. It eats all the ammo I put in it without any malfunctions. Now they do seem to bump fire with +P+ but that went away after I put a heavy buffer on it. Only use factory glock mags.

Things I dont like:

Furniture is junk from the factory ie. crappy plastic stock, handguards w/ NO heat shields

There are some sharp edges on the Bolt Hold Open Bar that need some rounding off

It needs a heavy buffer not a CAR style normal weight buffer

Does not come with a manual specific to the Glock model just a pistol cal. generic manual

Does not come with any magazines

Customer service is either none or some (somebody needs to attend a customer service seminar)

They need to redesign the mag release bar and put some kind of button on it, not just a plain flat bar

Things I do like:

Lifetime warranty

Pretty good finish

Shoots great

eats all ammo

mags are cheap and easy to find

mag well is really nice and mags fit good and drop free

Did I say its alot of fun to shoot

My 2cents
Top Top