Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2002 3:55:52 AM EDT
Several sites have been offering these arbine conversion kits for your glock pistol and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with them? They seem like they would be a little more cost effective, using mostly the same mags, etc. Just wondered what some of you thought?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Local IPSC shooter had 1 in the Glock mode. His was 9mm, using his G17 frame, he said he had not shot it yet. When he did at the side match, it worked without fault, and impact was near dead on out of the box. He was using GECO 9x19 at the time I seen it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
FYI, if you're talking about the MecTech Carbine Conversion, they are wildly popular here in my neck of the woods, both for the 1911 & the Glock.  I started to buy one for one of my G17s earlier this year, but all my G17s are the early models with the longer slide rails.  The MecTechs don't work with these without frame modification, which I was unwilling to do.  All the newer Glocks (with the finger-grooves integral to the grip) are compatible.  I know several folks (including my favorite local gunsmith) who swear by them, and I like the ones I've shot.

FWIW, I instead bought a Kel-Tec SUB2000 folding carbine that accepts G17 magazines & a half-dozen 33-round mags to fit the carbine or (in a pinch) the pistols.  I already had a SUB9 that took S&W mags - my wife now has that carbine.  She carries S&Ws and I carry Glocks, so everybody's happy!
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been thinking about these...  Unless I'm mistaken, all Glocks are imported from Austria - they don't have a plant in the US, correct?  If so, wouldn't the carbine conversions put you in violation of 922(r)?  Seems to me that PG+detachable mag would not be considered importable, and thus illegal to construct...

Rocko
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes I was doing the same and going back and forth between the magtech or the sub2000. The only thing I was thinking of was a carbine for my G20 in 10mm. Hell of a lot cheaper than a 10mmm AR upper, aling with mags and all. That is mainly what I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I believe in 10mm your only options will be the MecTech or an Olympic Arms AR15 rifle or conversion utilizing Glock mags.  The latter would require you to send your Glock mags to OA for modification, but they would still function in the pistol.  That route is also considerably more expensive than the MecTech, but I know several folks who LOVE a pistol-caliber AR setup - there are many such knowledgeable folks here on this board.  Best of luck, either way.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about these...  Unless I'm mistaken, all Glocks are imported from Austria - they don't have a plant in the US, correct?  If so, wouldn't the carbine conversions put you in violation of 922(r)?  Seems to me that PG+detachable mag would not be considered importable, and thus illegal to construct...

Rocko
View Quote

Since the conversion uses a US made barrel, receiver, bolt assembly, stock, etc. that would most likely lower the number of foreign parts to 10 or less which makes it legal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a 9mm Mech-Tech CCU on a G17 frame for awhile. It was the ultimate accessory for the Glock nut that has everything, but not terribly practical as a "serious" weapon.

PROS
* Accuracy was outstanding - barrels are supposedly made by Jarvis.
* Took Glock hi-cap mags, which I had a pile of.
* Reliability was 100%. No stoppages of any kind in about 500 rounds fired.
* Assembled/disassembled quickly and easily.

CONS
* Weighed about 6 lbs!
* Recoil spring vibration contributed to fatigue in the face and shooting hand after more than a couple hundred rounds.
* Set up primarily for optics; the add-on iron sights were expensive and not very useful.
* Wire stock is somewhat flimsy, and hard to get a good cheek weld.
* Manual of arms was different from anything else I owned.

After shooting about 500 rounds through the CCU, I put it back in my safe, where it sat unused for awhile. I decided my 9mm AR was a much better pistol-caliber carbine platform for a variety of reasons, and sold the CCU to help finance other projects.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top